1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could JJ Reddick be on Daryl Morey's radar?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Feb 19, 2013.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130213/jj-redick-nba-trade-deadline-orlando-magic/

- a rival GM when asked about Reddick's value.

- JJ Reddick on his playing style.

Stats:
    PPG: 15.3
    APG: 4.4
    SPG: 2.2
    FG%: .459
    3PT%: .403

His career 3PT% is .400 over seven seasons so he is a spectacular 3 point shooter. He is a good finisher around the rim and while he is not going to make anyone's all defensive team he is not a liability. He is in the absolute prime of his career and seems to fit Daryl Morey's standards for a trade target. Reddick would be great coming off of the bench to play along side of Harden or Lin.

Reddick is a free agent this summer and the Rockets could still use his cap room to go after D12 this summer or they could resign him.

2. Nextup

Nextup Member

Reddick is decent, nothing more. A team competing for a ring might be interested in reddick off the bench but for a team like the rockets he's not worth it. Reddick is better then delfino but not by much. He is putting up big numbers because the magic are a joke. His numbers on the rockets would be nowhere near the same. The rockets don't have a scoring issue they would be better served by going after a solid defensive swingman not an undersized 2 guard.

3. smr6

smr6 Member

Would be fun to watch Harden on the floor with Redick and Delfino at the same time for a little run each game with his drive and kick style of play and those 2 great 3-pt shooters on the outside.

I think Redick could help us, but really wouldnt make more than a 1 or 2 win difference in the long. He's a nice addition, but at what cost does it come with our future cap situation and what not?

I wouldn't be upset, but I'm not going to be on the "get it done" side.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

JJ is pretty much on almost any GMs radar, twice on the radar of contending teams who need a shooter

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

JJ would be a great third guard. Let him run the point sometimes and space the floor.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wow seems to be that versatile.... He can even score well enough

7. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Unfortunately he's worth more than expiring contracts but not worth giving up draft picks/rookie scale players for in the Rockets case (need to preserve cap room and hence unlikely to be able to resign him).

8. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

id rather get rip hamilton and get a draft pick for taking on the contract.

then if we want try and sign redick in the off season

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Good long term replacement for Delfino, but I would "go after him after we have used our cap space" and not "use our cap space to go get him."

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If Reddick could be had with out damaging the cap space then I would do it. The guy is a career .400 3PT shooter over 7 seasons, that's no fluke.

The Rockets would not be obligated to keep him past this season so his salary would not prevent the team from going after D12. The extra win or two that he might help the team get could be the difference between playoffs or lottery. D12 will see the Rockets in a much better light if the team makes the playoffs.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

He is exactly the type of guy you want to avoid right now. Not that he's not a good player, but he would prevent us from getting that 2nd or 3rd foundational piece. Once those are in place, then you can sign Reddick.

12. eman

eman Contributing Member

Play him the rest of the season. He's playing for a contract! Then decide what to do with him, or without him.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Exactly.

Since Eric Gordon (EGO) is a non-starter (they asked for Parsons, I guess), why pay all that money to EGO when you can pay $6,000,000 for a lethal 3-guard combo etc etc?

Voice from On High: Because we're holding cap space for a real Star.

Me: OK, got it.

14. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I disagree... Redick is a much better shooter and scorer than Delfino and a MUCH better on the ball defender than Delfino (and possibly Lin and Harden as well) and plus he can run the point. So there's no comparison, two totally different players.

This offense is built for a catch and shoot player like J.J. which the Rockets do not have. Nor do they have a consistent 2nd scoring option and on this team, J.J. would be that rather starting or coming off the bench. And when J.J. and Harden would be on the floor _ defenders would not leave J.J. and cheat towards Harden which will open up the floor for him and increase his scoring opportunities. So J.J. brings scoring and helps Harden score more (and Lin's assist would go up as well)..

At this point the Rockets best defense is their offense and J.J. would make this team legitimately dangerous...

15. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

"He is putting up big numbers because the magic are a joke"

Nah. Playing on a bad team can increase your volume numbers, like PPG and stuff like that... but it doesn't make you more efficient. He's shooting 46% this year total, and over 40% from 3. Has improved his passing as well. Not trying to say we should trade for him, but Redick is a solid player, no matter what team he's on.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Start JJ at PG until Llull is ready.

17. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

#1 in offense and near last in defense and you're thinking we need more scoring firepower? Good idea. Now let me go bang my head on my desk.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Correct.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I disagree. His numbers would go up in Houston based on his skill set being perfect. He is a major upgrade over Delfino.

20. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I keep hearing people say the Rockets need to save cap space. For what...??? Howard or Bynum who will more than likely take the 5 years $100 plus million that the Lakers and Philly can give...??? Or Josh Smith who currently believes he is worth a max contract and will be highly over paid..??? And Jefferson and Milsap are players teams will end up over paying for as well.

Star players don't grow on trees and they are hard to get. Took Morey 5 years to land one star player and I'm not holding my breath expecting him to land another one in such a short period. Upgrading the team with a good player or two may be just as good until Morey can get his hands on LMA, Love, or when/if LeBron opts out of his contract.