1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When is enough....Enough

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dreamshake, Feb 21, 2003.

1. alaskansnowman

Enough is enough when...

we continue losing to teams that are clearly worse than us.

Dallas is much better, and their zone defense really screws us up as well. Plus, we really did miss our open shots... I can think of 2 or 3 instances where we got about 4 rebounds on each posession yet still never scored. Yao was also gettin hammered, and missed some shots that he usually makes.

I prefer to just erase thsi game from memory.

2. dcfma

dcfma Contributing Member

I saw the game at the Compaq Center. The name of this thread is correct. Enough is enough! I have no more patience for the ineptitude of this team and coach.

I am a diehard Rockets. So I will watch every game I can and root for the Rockets on every play. However, I have lost patience and find enough is enough on several issues:

1) Coaching- What his going through Rudy's head sometimes. Is it me, or does he go through strectches when he doesn't have a clue.

Examples:
    a) Tonight: Why were Steve Francis and Yao Ming on the bench from the beginning of the 4th Quarter until 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter? The quarter began with us down about 8 or 9. When they came back in, the game was basically over and we were down 14.

b) Rotations: Does Rudy plan a rotation 3 hours before tip-off and decide: "No matter what, this is how my substitutions will be. I will start the 4th quarter with the following line and in my head it is a good line up: Moochie Norris, Cuttino Mobley, Eddie Griffin, Kelvin Cato, and Glen Rice."

No one besides Mobley was having a good game, yet this was the lineup on the floor. (Right now either Steve, Yao, or Maurice need to be on the court at all times)

2) The Power Forward Spot

Why cannot Maurice or Eddie play consistently? We don't need both people, just one! It would help this team so immensely. I keep waiting for Eddie to 'achieve his potential.' (Please achieve it seen.)

I keep waiting for Maurice to play consistently. He can be so effective when he is on.

3) Outside shooting: I feel pretty good almost every time Franchise shoots the ball. He is normally sensible when he shoots from the outside. But everyone else is so inconsistent! Someone besides Franchise must be consistent from the outside!

4) The offensive (so-called system).

What type of offense does this team have? Motion offense, Low post power, One-on one iso? Some would call this 'versatility; however more likely it is incosistency and lack of focus.

Overall, this is so frustrating as a fan. Enough is enough! But what can be done before the end of the season, I don't know.
    :(

3. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

If the Coach gave Yao the green light to utilize his other offensive skills, like shooting a few 12-18 jumpers like Shawn did he would look like a superstar.

4. carayip

carayip Member

We just lost to the team with the best record. We were expected to lose. What's the big deal? It's silly to say "enough is enough" in this case.

5. Crocketball Fan

Rudy isn't the best coach for this team, but honestly, who would be besides a real military style browbeater. These guys are great athletes and a couple of them show signs of intelligence, but most of them are playing high school basketball complete with street garbage and starring our old pal Tunnel Vision. Stevie Franchise and Cuttino are the worst about it, but really nobody seems to have a grasp of Rudy's elusive plan. Maybe Rudy doesn't have a plan, but I doubt that's true. My bet is he just can't handle these kids (who are mostly budding young veteran players now- youth is no excuse except for Yao and Griffin) and they haven't played enough regimented basketball to understand how to run plays and think like a team. I was at the Clutch City Foundation fundraiser and Robert Reid grabbed the mic and told Stevie, Cuttino, Mo, and Yao that they needed to get to know each other and talk basketball OFF the court, like Reid, Malone, Rudy and Calvin did in the day at a cafeteria on Buffalo Speedway all the time. Everyone applauded and I suspect the words were lost on only the young men they were aimed at. The NBA is a different bird these days than in 94-95 when our stars had all gone to college and came in the league playing with the old schoolers from the lean years. I think maybe Rudy has outgrown the shrinking IQ of the league. It's a sad day for all of us if this is true, and if it is we need Rudy to be our "King" with a prime-minister actually kicking the troops in the ass. That being said, Go Rockets! anyway.

6. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Depends on how you look at it. Is Dallas the best team in basketball. Dallas has beaten all the bad & medium level teams, and have had their problems against the powers of the west.

Rockets have beat most of the teams giving Dallas problems, but we get embarassed by the worse teams in the league.

I think the time will come, when Les stops living in denial, and makes a coach (or player) move to better this team. He will have a hard time selling tickets in the new stadium at this pace.

7. rocketsmetalspd

I will not give up on this team. I still believe the team needs and will need to address the PF position. I just can't believe how inconsistent this team is. I guess Mobley's party went on too late last night or the team was still hung over from the party. :D Lets GO...Tomorrow is game time once again. :)

8. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

With the Lakers having won tonight, the Rockets are now in ninth place, out of the playoffs.

They have been in for the entire season, until now.

What a collapse. What a waste.

9. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Ummmmm you do realize that under those excuses no coach in the history of organized sports has deserved to ever of been fired.

Yeah its not the coach that misses the passes, fumbles the ball

Its not the coach that misses the cutoff man, or strikes out.

Blah blah blah.

Its always down to the coach.

If my employee's continually messed up.....think I could go to my boss and say "Hey Now, I put the plan foward I can't help it if they dont follow it".....yeah maybe once. Not consistantly. After a while.....it would become tiresome.

10. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

I couldn't figure that out either. Both SF and JP wanted to dunk on Bradley when a simple dish-off to Yao would probably be the smarter play. Maybe they are trying to posterize Bradley the way Kobe did it to Yao. :(

11. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Very interesting observation. Why do you think Rox will be a better team without Yao this year?

12. Miggidy Markell

DreamWeaver, Yao tried as hard as he could to posterize Bradley as well but failed. I think Steve and Posey were just trying to dunk on Bradley to bring him back to earth, i mean, THE GUY WAS HITTING 20 FOOTERS!!! :eek: He was taking Yao to school.

Notice how Yao gets beaten yet people decide this is Rudy, Steve and JP's fault. Pleeease.... :rolleyes:

13. carayip

carayip Member

I think most people here (and some so-called experts in the press) overrated our talent. I still don't understand why people would expect us to make the playoffs even without Yao Ming contributing. Base on what? Our 28 wins record last season? :confused:

And then with Yao better than expected, then some of your expectations become too high. Reality check is needed. :)

14. firerudyt

firerudyt Member

The refs actually blew this game open for the Mavericks, but that won't stop me from giving some of the blame to RudyT.

My problem is this: Mid-way through the 4th quarter, Yao Ming gets a dunk. Immediately afterwards Nowitzki slams into the chest of Moochie Norris when he was clearly in front of the charge line. Rudy throws his hands up and says nothing. Just like the other 3,628,394 incorrect calls.

Unacceptable.

It was late in the game and perhaps the game was over, but Rudy should have at least gotten his second technical for the team and got the last word with the refs. Sheesh! Even the head coach isn't a leader.

Sometimes I wish Rudy would push a referee or that Yao will finally get upset and slug Bradley, LaFrentz, or Najera in the mug from all the hacking. Would that motivate the team?

15. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

This is just an asinine post.

First of all, getting "posterized" is one play. Shawn Bradley had a good game but he was basically open the entire game. I doubt the Rockets game plan was for Yao to stick to Shawn Bradley like glue.

As far as Yao being taken to school, tell me who was keeping the Rockets in the game by scoring 9 consecutive points. in the 3rd quarter.

The Rockets were still in the game at that time. After he left, the lead grew out of control.

The difference was no one could stop Dirk Nowitzki, our bench produced crap because Mo taylor got hurt, and Steve Francis was playing with a bad back.

Even with all that Dallas wouldve probably still beaten us because theyre just better and have crushed us 3 straight times.

I can see why people get tired of all the Yao posts but when you try to "even it out" by blaming him for a game in which he was clearly not the worst player on the court, it's just stupid. There's just something nefarious about the I'll even it out by blaming someone else type poster.

16. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

First it was Madsen having the game of his life against Yao on Tuesday and now Shawn Freaking Bradley was nailing 20 footers. WTF....

What is about Yao that motivates opposing centers to overachieve? :confused: Or could it be that Yao is just too tired to play good defense now?

17. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Inconsistency is usually the first sign of underachieving and this Rox team has a bunch of underachievers starting with their coach.

I still believe that we will make it into the postseason and that expectation of mine is realistic. No reality check needed.

18. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

bro, no disrespect but im going to half to call you out on this one. watch the damn game, Yao is "every teammates" defender. Even when rudys defensive plan is man to man, Its still Yaos job to seal off the paint inside. Markell, those lucky ass perimeter shots Bradley made were created by drives and kickout passes that suckered Yao in to help defend. so the truth is, somebody else was burned! Yao was just doing his job and collapsing the middle to seal off the paint. our guards soft ass defense lured Yao in to help which made Bradly seem wide open and all world to most unobservant fans.

19. snowmt

snowmt Member

Rox did win 45 games in 2000. However, with
    the zone, can our guards still be effective as
    year 2000?

20. Miggidy Markell

Ok, both you and RIET missunderstood what I meant by schooling. I watched Bradley hit those open shots and make a rediculous off balanced bull**** right hand scooping hook kind of thing off the backboard. My point about him making 20 footer was that, no one on earth would expect this guy to make that. HOWEVER, Bradley did school Yao at the other end which IMO was caused by Yao's tiredness as I said in the other thread. OK, maybe it didn't need another thread but I just wanted to see how Steve haters would react to it.