1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks taking trade offers for forward Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anthony1604, Feb 8, 2013.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Why wouldn't they want a youngster like 2 Pat or Morris? They could throw either one in the starting lineup for not very much money and still have flexibilty going forward. Now it would take more than just one of those guys but they are solid Assets.

Also we need another Guard that can come off the bench I think but idk who we could get?

2. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

You could probably just address me directly instead of referring to me as "people," and then proceeding to insult me by calling me insecure. I'm in no way impressed by either your phony appeal to authority through seniority or your ridiculous cheerleading.

In fact I'd probably go so far as to say that I'm disgusted by it.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I could have addressed you directly. But I, unlike BimaThug, was being condescending to you because I think you are acting like an idiot and I am not as good a person as BimaThug.

1 person likes this.
  4. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

You are correct, committing to the Hardcap doesn't necessarily mean the loss of the Non-Taxpayer MLE. But it could. It entirely depends on how the numbers work out. If the salary after absorbing the new S&T contract is too high, there might not be enough of a gap between new team salary and the newly imposed post-S&T Hardcap at the Apron. In that case, they could lose their Non-Taxpayer MLE or Bi-Annual Exception by default simply because there isn't enough space to exercise those exceptions without going over the Hardcap.

1 person likes this.
  5. hooroo

hooroo Member

If the Hawks trade Smith I think they're more interested in getting a starting C in return so Horford can move to PF who they want playing there anyway.

6. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Motiejunas, Patterson & Aldrich for Gortat will be work for both teams

7. rocketblood713

Do Rockets have what ATL Hawks want ?

I seen a report of Hwak want a young big so whats a realistic deal Rockets would give to ATL that would work ?

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Easy, trade them Asik for Smith, then sign Dwight Howard ;) lol

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

The funny thing is that even if I knew we could pull this off... I'm not sure I would want Dwight rather than Omer at this point anyway.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

BeeBeard,

I'd be the first person to back you up that BimaThug can be condescending, but in this instance, he throttled back pretty well.

I'd also have to be the first to say that he has a lot of knowledge on the NBA's CBA; and, even if he learned much of it from Larry Coon, well, isn't that like complaining (spoiler alert: nerd-tastic comparison approaching!) about Obi-Wan's abilities because he had to learn from Yoda and Qui-Gon?

BimaThug is Larry Coon's Padawan. When he doesn't know something, he knows where to check and make sense of it.

I probably didn't need to butt in and drag this out. I've had my moments of pique, too.

Yeah, with Dwight's injuries and his probably not wanting to be here anyway, I don't want to waste too much energy on wishing Dwight Howard into a Rockets uniform. Probably an attempt to shore up the power forward spot remains our best bet.

11. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Nor as good a poster. It's been 22000+ posts of this kind of personal, catty garbage with you. Point in fact, Bima and I were having a discussion, trying to figure out where we disagreed on something, and you decided to "add" to it by giving one side your stamp of approval, like that has any currency with anyone at all. Then you tried to insult me twice, because that always works well, right? Do you seriously think people give a damn what you think when your contributions amount to "this guy is right! (no reasons given), and I'm just going to try to insult this other guy." You ratcheted things up because this is your ongoing idea of being "edgy" and "controversial." But you ain't, and what's worse, you're barely even funny. In so many words, you suck. Profoundly and often, and this is a perfect example of how. We'd all be better served if you stayed in the corner while the adults tried to hash this stuff out. I could have had a life-changing moment where I learn more than any human should ever know about CBA revisions, but instead I've got uninteresting internet curmudgeon Carl Herrera calling me names. You've basically just stolen from me.

12. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

I'm not concerned with his shoulder one bit, that's all one injury that he is playing through and re-aggravating.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The shoulder, not so much.

The back? Uff. See also: McGrady, Tracy.

In any case, this is all moot. All players want to be in L.A. or N.Y. Dwight got his wish. He won't leave L.A. for the Humid Coast.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Apparently somebody gives enough of a damn to type a diatribe about it. Good for them.

15. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I'd take Josh Smith and his potential headcase in a heartbeat.

He's a versatile defender who can guard the 3 or the 4, an elite weak side shot blocker, and he has shown that he matches up favorably against some of the WC playoffs contending power forwards this year.
    http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/atlanta-hawks/players/josh-smith/profile/13/1/10

Pair him up with Asik and you have one of the best defensive fronts in the West.

Morey has been chasing Pau Gasol for the longest time, and, while Josh Smith is a notch below PG's level, he's younger, healthy, and has shown interest in wanting to play for the Rockets.

16. rogower

rogower Member

Thankfully, you are not the GM of the Houston Rockets, and Daryl Morey is! I will be shocked if Morey wastes time/money/energy/resources on Josh Smith. You win with winners, and you lose with losers, and Smith is a loser. Someone will give Smith a four- or five-year contract that pays him an average of at least $15 mil/year, and that team will not be Atlanta, nor will it be Houston.

17. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

I disagree. Carl Herrera has been quite entertaining a read.

18. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Smith has been the best all-around player for a perennial playoff contender, albeit for the EC. Whatever. It's funny, but before Gasol was traded to LAL, he had similar criticism. That he played for Memphis therefore he is a loser. Bad logic didn't dictate Lakers' move to acquire him.

19. rogower

rogower Member

Pau Gasol played for the Grizzlies, a team that was, at the time, one of the biggest jokes in the league. Everyone went berzerk when the Lakers acquired him for what seemed like next to nothing, although Marc Gasol turned out to be a hell of a balllpayer. Gasol was perceived to be a very good player who was wasting away on a bad team. Josh Smith, on the other hand, is perceived to be an infant, and an idiot, and a player who has never really put it all together and who likely will never put it all together. Further, Josh Smith has spent the past several years surrounded by quite a bit of talent in Atlanta, and his teams have predictably made the playoffs, although they have never really done anything in the playoffs once they got there.

In any event, if you're a Rockets fan, you will ultimately be grateful that Daryl Morey doesn't waste his time/money/energy/resources on Josh Smith. There is a very high percentage chance that the Rockets will win more ballgames over the next several years than whoever Smith winds up with. If Josh Smith isn't happy in Atlanta, wait until he ends up in Phoenix or wherever, and his teams are losing 50+ ballgames/year.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The criticism Gasol had was NOTHING like the criticism Josh Smith receives. In fact, when he was traded to Los Angeles, everybody flipped out over what a steal it was for Los Angeles. The reason being, people doubted Gasol's ability as a number one option. However, nobody doubted he'd make a fantastic second option. And he proved to be just that.

However, Josh Smith has already been a second option to Joe Johnson (who is a far inferior player to Kobe but was still the better player between he and Smith) to mediocre results. By and large, it's Smith's bball IQ that is questioned, whereas it was Gasol's heart. However, Gasol had proven to play passionately in the Olympics and once teamed with a leader like Kobe, he played passionately in the NBA for a while.

And I think we can all agree that the right leader can inspire other players to play with heart, but no manner of leader is going to make Josh Smith less stupid.