1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can anyone guard LaMarcus Aldridge??

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by oakdogg, Feb 9, 2013.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

That guy looked unguardable last night. I know a lot of people were getting on Patterson for not having much success against him earlier in the season, but I'm just wondering if ANYbody can do it. Aldridge just looked unstoppable. In particular, are there any role players who can do it who can still hit the open shot?

1 person likes this.
  2. BeardsOnParade

Well even when he was guarded he was just putting up shots over out defenders

1 person likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

KG when he was younger and maybe now

1 person likes this.
  4. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Chuck Hayes

1 person likes this.
  5. PRaZe

PRaZe Member

If you let him dribble the ball and shoot his likely going to miss.

Go to YouTube and search bballbreakdown and watch the Top Power Foward Video.

He will let you know what his weaknesses is

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Can anyone guard Marshon Brooks? Because I swear there was this one game he looked like Kobe Bryant against us.

Aldridge makes 42% of his jumpshots on the season(82games.com). He doesn't always make those shots. If he did, he'd be averaging 30ppg instead of 20ppg.

1 person likes this.
  7. Orange

Orange Member

This. We would always play him very good

8. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

LaMarcus Aldridge guards himself. When he gets into a rhythm with his scoring, you just have to hope he misses it, because he's too big to muscle and too tall to block.

Classic Dirk situation.

9. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

this.

10. 713

713 Member

Probably the most overrated player on CF. Guy plays NO defense and has 0 post presence offensively and defensively.

Once his mid range shots don't fall you can call it a night for him.

11. oakdogg

You didn't watch the game last night. He was as effective in the post on offense as anybody I've seen. I don't know where you're getting this stuff.

12. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

On the other hand, you just said that LaMarcus Aldridge can't score in the post, soooo...? Probably your opinion about him doesn't reflect any kind of reality?

Probably safe to say, yeah. :cool:

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

This. LOL LMA looks like Dirk and TD for one night and he's unguardable? Look PP looked unguardable the other game as well, singlehandedly put the opponent away and grabbed a ton of boards.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Because of his length, LA is impossible to stop when his jumper and fadeaway are both falling and he decides to be aggressive. The guy has been on a major roll the last few games. But don't worry, the production will slack off soon enough.

15. oakdogg

Well, I think that's twisting the spirit of the thread a bit. Ppat is guardable. He makes open shots. Put a defender on him (i.e. guard him) and he's not going to be successful. Yesterday, the defender seemed inconsequential to LMA. At his height and length, the dude can get his shot off anytime. Am I saying he's as good as Dirk or TD, no. I'm just wondering if when he's on fire last night, if anybody would have done a better job stopping him than 2Pat. Sounds like Chuck Hayes might have...interesting.

16. jbasket

jbasket Member

You know, Ppat actually did a pretty good job on Aldridge the previous two games defensively. his PnR with Lillard is dangerous, and IIRC, Ppat held Aldridge to taking as many shots as points scored (or near that).

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I wasn't even a little bit upset, Pat and Asik played him great he just made really tough shots.

Mchale should stick to single coverage with him, I know he'll tear us up but if Batum/Mathews aren't hitting 3's then you're winning.

18. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

That is an interesting take on that. The reality is that Aldridge was playing hurt at the time and that he still managed to dump post shot over post shot over a hapless Patterson in the clutch when it mattered.

If anything is overrated in this thread, it would be the great Patrick Patterson's post defense.

19. tomato

tomato Member

Maybe if you have a spare 7-footer to let him chase Lamarcus around, stand right in front of him with his arms up, leave your Asik-type protecting the rim. Potentially something Motiejunas could handle (so ironic!)

20. gah

gah Member

Not this.

LA can shoot over Hayes every time. Even 4 years ago, LA had his way against him in our playoffs series.