1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks taking trade offers for forward Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anthony1604, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Are you serious man? Know what, i quit. lol

2. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Al Jefferson was killing it tonight, he's still a monster!

3. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

I was watching the game in spurts and thought the defense on him wasn't very impressive. The times I saw Noah guard him 1 on 1 he kept biting on the fakes, he pump fakes a LOT and the last game Rockets played against him I thought Asik did a great job being patient on defense and not falling for the fakes. It really makes me appreciate what Asik brings to the table defensively.

4. Asian Sensation

Sometimes the best move is no move. Especially when you have to give up too much due to lack of quality supply. I say we stand "Pat"... save our money and play out the season with what we got. Josh Smith would be the ideal the 3rd and final piece to the puzzle but we need the second piece first especially when Smith is seeking 1st/2nd piece money it's just not going to happen. Lets say we did trade for Smith we'd be giving up at least 2 starters + other assets. I like the dynamics, chemistry and cap flexibility our team has now and i wouldnt risk screwing that up unless we got a surefire stud that's going to help us be a legot contender. We've positioned ourself to make the playoffs as is with or without Smith. Even if we trade for smith it's addition by key subtraction. He might make us a favorite to get out of the first and maybe even past the 2nd round but that's probably as far as we will go. Morey has put us in a great position to sign said 2nd superstar and I'm excited to see who he goes after. I'm pretty sure it's not Smith IMHO but if it is ..... In Morey I trust.

1 person likes this.
  5. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

FIFY.

6. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

If we have a realistic chance at LeBron, D12, CP3, Love, DWill or any other f the first tier players we should wait...

Problem is, I don't believe we have a realistic chance to get a first tier player.

So what do we do then? Lay down and cry, that this league is unfair, that all the talent is just going to the big cities? Lay down and lose to draft superstars? Or try to compete with the best players we can get?

If we look at second tier players, especially at forwards, the realistic options right now are Smith or Millsap. Smith being the better talent, Millsap the smarter and probably cheaper player. Smith has a lot more potential. If we want to look more long term or at trades, we might be able to get players like Aldridge (though I doubt Portland really lets him go), Bosh (Miami is in cap hell - but they probably don't want to blow up their core) or Gasol (really bad contract, declining but still a very good player).

Yes, I'd prefer Aldridge and Bosh - so Morey should be trying hard to see if he can get one of them. He probably has to give up Parsons and/or Asik to get one of them. But I don't think we can get them. Smith or Millsap is the consolation prize. We can get them without shaking up our core. Millsap could turn into a great asset to trade if we can get him for cheap - Smith could blossom into a great second star for this team if he can fix his shot selection.

I think our team has the right character and the right coach to fix Smith - so I'd be willing to take a chance on him. He instantly greatly improves our defense, helps our defense, our fast breaks and our finishing at the rim and gives us a pretty good second option.

7. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Maybe a monster in the sense that his injury history would scare small children out of their beds at night.

8. ejarts

ejarts Member

wait for KEVIN LOVE

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Didn't think it deserved its own thread, but Philly is trying to gauge the value of Evan Turner. Looks like they want to shake things up.

The Sixers, sources say, are open to a shakeup as they continue to wait for the return of Andrew Bynum to give All-Star point guard Jrue Holiday some badly needed help. And I'm told Philly, as such, is shopping (or at least making calls to gauge the value of) swingman Evan Turner. ESPN.com

With Parsons and Harden, don't see how he would fit, but I really like his game.

10. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Okay first of all, the Rockets don't really have a "realistic" chance at getting most of those players. They do have a slim chance at signing Howard.

Interesting thing about that: They could trade for Josh Smith and then own his Bird rights. Then they could just sight Howard straight up in the off-season using their cap space, then exceed the cap to sign Smith to whatever he needs (because lol bird rights). Voila, the two AAU BFFs reunited on one team! In theory. They'd be capped out at that point beyond belief, but they'd also be damned competitive. That Howard / Smith / Parsons / Harden / Lin lineup would be a possible contender.

If Morey still has Dwight Howard dreams, this is the way to go. You entice the hell out of that dude by offering him a chance to leave the craziness of the LA scene behind to come play ball with James Harden and his good friend Josh Smith.

11. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I know what you mean. Turner is such a great all-around talent, Iggy pt. 2 on that team, but he just isn't very good off-ball. And how would the Rockets be mostly using him? Off-ball, of course... :(

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Agreed. It's amazing how many good players aren't a fit for our particular system.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Smith's cap hold would prevent Rockets from signing other players.

14. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

They stopped allowing this didn't they. Damn you, new CBA.

15. conquistador#11

Josh smith makes me sick. If he was all that, considering they got rid of their worst contract with Joe J, the hawks would have given Smith the max already. If there is no player worth while, just stand patt til the right one comes along. I'd rather develop our fours than sign this guy for the sake of making a move.

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That prohibition is not new. It was in at least the prior two or three CBAs as well.

Also, to add something to what Skyhoop said about "Bird rights" and sign-and-trades under the new CBA, there actually IS some value to teams and players doing sign-and-trades (albeit far less value than in the prior CBA). Skyhoop is correct in that players cannot receive better CONTRACTS in a sign-and-trade than they could if they just signed with another team outright, but there are other situations in which a sign-and-trade would be advantageous to the player.

If a top free agent wants to go to a team that is below the luxury tax threshold but which does not have enough cap room to sign that player outright, there is incentive on that player's part to try to work with his former team on a sign-and-trade deal where that former team can get something of value in the process.

While the Rockets' recent sign-and-trades of Marcus Camby and Courtney Lee technically would not work this summer (when the new rules kick in prohibiting taxpaying teams from receiving signed-and-traded players), those deals just as easily could have taken place with teams whose payrolls were just a little bit lower (but not low enough to afford those guys as outright signings).

17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You don't wait for Kevin Love, you trade for Kevin Love. And you do that by having desirable players on your team. As long As you aren't making bone-headed signings, Kevin Love is possible. But you can't just sit on your hands and hope for the best.

18. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Yes, but also to clarify and add on to what Bima said. The final team must be under the Apron AFTER such a transaction. Just because they are over the cap doesn't mean they can get around it with a Sign and Trade. They must still remain under the Apron after such a deal. So if the contract would push them over the apron, it's not allowed, you can't circumvent it with a sign and trade.

And doing a Sign and Trade to acquire a player means the team will also subject themselves to further draconian restrictions such as Hardcapping a team to the Apron. This can limit future flexibility and trade options when the trade deadline rolls around. It can also mean the lost of some exceptions like MLEs, BAEs, bird rights for other players, etc., depending on salary cap management (You may not accept a player in a S&T if you've already used your non-taxpayer MLE. And if your salary space is reduced far enough as a result of absorbing the S&T player and the subsequent hardcapping, you may lose your MLE altogether). Suffice to say, it's not a desirable situation for a team.

Also, the scenario discussed by Bima is not a property of their bird rights. It has nothing to do with holding their bird rights. Sign and trade deals like that can be done with any player who was on your team's roster at the end of the year. You do not need their Early Bird or Larry Bird rights to do so. Although I suppose you could try to stretch the definition in the way that some people consider the Non-Bird Exception to be a 1yr form of "bird rights" despite the explicit nomenclature of not being bird rights.

Basically, I think the situation is will be rare enough and requires the satisfaction of so many disparate elements, that I don't see it providing consistent value to a team to go out and acquire a player with the hopes of utilizing such S&T deals. And the players have little financial incentive to seek S&T deals, unlike in the old CBA. In the majority of cases, the acquisition of such bird rights in the hopes of retaining value via such a S&T will be worthless due to the new CBA.

19. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

No, it really wasn't. I appreciate some of your work in the past re: copy pasting salary information off of basketball reference into handy paragraph form, but I don't think you know about this. It's okay, sort of knew about it and then completely forgot about it when suggesting the course of action.

Here's the paragraph you would just be copy pasting from anyway:

So no this example of his from 2005 does not represent, what did you even say, "the prior two to three CBAs." You're wrong. Thanks for trying to make me look like an idiot though. Much appreciated.

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

I think he might work in our offense. But I don't want to give up PPat at this point.
    I don't know we have anything else that will interest the Hawks.