1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Payton and Mason for Allen

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nuggets4, Feb 20, 2003.

1. heech

heech Contributing Member

I don't think his contract is quite that bad. He has.. what.. 3 years left, at around 11 mil a year? Considering this guy's a perennial all-star, that's not bad at all. What other backcourt player would Seattle be able to pick up in free agency at.. what.. 11 mil a year? Not Kidd, he's going for more. Not Payton, he'd want more and his relationship is poisoned.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Wow. I was floored when I saw Allen actually got traded. The whole reason I thought the Allen rumor had no legitimacy was because I didn't think the Bucks would actually deal Allen - nor that they were shopping him. The fact that they actually dealt him (and in such quiet fashion) makes me wonder now if in fact the Rockets were legitimately in talks with the Bucks. Hope to hear....

I haven't heard anything about any Rocket deals, for those who are asking.

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

This is by far a travesty for poor Rashard. He was best friends with Desmond, and now he and GP are gone for Ray Allen?

Trading Desmond Mason?

I just don't see the sense. Desmond Mason is gonna be a freaking awesome player.

Idiots.

Damn. Still can't believe it.

BUT... It's good for the Rockets; SSS are in the West.

4. Major

Major Member

Not really Rockets related, but if the Bucks end up with Payton and Spreewell instead of Allen & Cassell, they just became the type of defensively dominating team George Karl loves.

5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Maybe in the offseason the Rockets can swing a deal to bring in 'Shard in he's unhappy.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sounds like a good deal to me.

This marks that Seattle has given up on this season, in my view. As good as Ray Allen is, he can't carry the team like Payton has been. But, he is a number of years younger than Payton. Seattle is officially turning away from the old-guard to fully commit to the rebuild. Smart move for the future of the franchise.

A bit confused why Bucks would give up on their star, but they haven't performed as well as they should given their talent. Maybe they needed a shakeup. Payton is better than Allen, but Milwaukee still won't be competing for a championship during Payton's career. But, I may be underestimating them. Maybe they'll start playing closer to their abilities after this trade. A gamble for the Bucks, I guess, imo.

7. tozai

tozai Member

The Seattle SuperSonics have called a 5 p.m. ET press conference to announce they have traded All-Star guard Gary Payton to the Milwaukee Bucks for All-Star guard Ray Allen.

The swap is believed to be a three- or four-team, multi-player deal which also involves the New Orleans Hornets and, possibly, the New York Knicks.

Sources confirmed to SportsLine.com that the Sonics will deal Payton and Desmond Mason to the Bucks in exchange for Allen, point guard Kevin Ollie and center Joel Przybilla.

In a separate deal, the Sonics also are sending point guard Kenny Anderson to the Hornets for Elden Campbell.

Sources also tell SportsLine.com that Sam Cassell (Bucks) and Latrell Sprewell of the Knicks might also be involved.

8. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

Seattle's roster: Zero PG's, 6 centers - Pryzbilla, Campbell, James, Booth, Potapenko, Drobnjak

Let's play Mad Libs:

Senator Kohl has pictures of Starbucks' Shultz in _______ (insert compromising position) with _______ (insert barnyard animal).

9. heech

heech Contributing Member

I'd assume Brent Barry. The guy brings the ball down quite a bit on the second unit when Payton's not on the court. And he's still better than Kevin Ollie as a complete player, isn't he?

I'd assume Ollie still plays the 2nd unit.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Desmond Mason was an absolute steal for Milwaukee.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clutch, I didn't think Allen would be traded either. The only thing that got me thinking that way is he recently has been bumping heads with Karl. Then you add in the article in the Milwaukee paper today about Allen being traded not being a far fetched idea...things added up.

What suprises me is the actual trade. It boils down the Ray Allen for Gary Payton and Desmond Mason. Payton is a FA after this season and I am not so sure the luxary tax conscious Bucks can pony up enough to satisfy Payton. If this happens and I think it is likely then it comes down to a Mason for Allen swap which is considerably one sided.

Wouldn't the Mobley/Cato package have been better? It would have addressed two needs for the Bucks.

And now it is being rumored that Sprewell for Cassell has happend. So Now you have a log jam at the swingman spot, could be in big trouble at the PG spot if Payton walks and the Bucks did NOTHING to address their inside help. Something Cato could have done.

Head scratcher! Only think I can think of is Karl wanted the defensive lineup of Payton/Sprewell over the Allen/Cassell offensive line up. The Bucks have to re-sign Payton or they lose this deal.

Chris

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Just heard Dawson on the 610 newsflash, and he said there were no trades that made sense involving the Rox. Atleast not the ones that he was offered..

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think the Bucks will have an issue with resigning Payton in the offseason. He's good, but teams with cap space will be scared off by his age. With his Bird rights, they should be well-situated to re-sign him.

Again, I'm just so impressed with the boldness of this move by Karl. It is a big deal for Seattle to trade their franchise player, but they've been preparing for this for awhile. Milwaukee just remade their image into a veteran, defensive, intense team with a window only a couple years long in which to make a serious splash.

14. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

Only feel bad for one person here.

Ray Allen...welcome to the WILD WILD WEST!

You're not seeing the playoffs this year buddy...

15. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

The Bucks have already won. They dumped an $11 million dollar contract and received Desmond Mason.

Who cares about Ray Allen. Ray Allen is a very good player but not an elite player.

They already had Michael Redd at a fraction of Allen's salary.

Milwaukee got a dynamic young talent, dumped an expensive contract, and received a all-star guard - even if temporarily.

16. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Whats real interesting is that the Bucks are facing the Sonics tommorrow AT Seattle and oh what you do u know, its going to be nationally televised on ESPN!!!

17. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

wow -- still can't figure out:

1. why would seattle throw in the towel on this season? -- they are not mathematically out of anything yet -- ultimately I think this deal benefits the rockets especially when you take mason off their roster.......got to think there is a deal that follows this one........

2. milwaukee is too small a town for payton and cassell -- sam going to ny makes sense........

it's easy to see why milwaukee did this deal -- can't see it from seattles' perspective, however -- a straight payton for allen trade would make sense

18. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

at the end of the day Payton was NOT going to re-sign with the Sonics

19. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I don't think you read what I wrote. I said Payton would guard the two on defense.

It may be a moot point anyways. Lets see if Cassell has been traded.

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Maybe the Rockets were just in the mix to make Seattle have to up the ante. If so, it worked - Seattle gave up a lot.