1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade rumor heard...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jared Novak, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

First at work yesterday, a co-worker of mine heard on the radio that the Rockets and Bucks were close to a deal that would send:

Cuttino Mobley and Maurice Taylor

for

Ray Allen

Now before everyone says dream on, I also heard a couple of suits in the Bank of America downtown today saying the same thing. Has anyone else heard this rumor, was it on a website, TV and/or radio?

My thinking is that the Bucks wouldn't do it because they already have Anthony Mason, so why do they need MoT. I could see them taking on Mobley because of his cap-friendly contract.

I think the Rockets do this trade, obviously they get a very good shooting guard, who can knock down an outside shot. However, this leaves the Rockets thin at power forward.

2. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

hmm...thats a new one...

I wouldnt mind it, it leaves us at a void at PF. All we would have is Eddie?

I highly doubt Milwaukee would trade away their franchise player.

3. Axeman

Axeman Member

Oh my god, that would be one of the best trades in franchise history if we could pull it off.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The trade stinks for Milwaukee. Cato and/or Griffin would have to be in there.

5. carlit0

carlit0 Member

That would be awesome!!!! MoT sucks eddie is fine at the PF position and this is a real veteran player and many less TO.
    Only negative is that Ray Allen has been injury prone.

This would be badas$

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well, they could then give Cato a lot more minutes at power forward.

The problem I see is that it would leave us with Yao as our only low post threat. Not that Mo is a monster inside, but he does provide us with solid post work for a few minutes a game. It would be a trade to improve the team in the long- term.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The same Ray Allen that bad-mouthed Rudy in the press after the Olympics?

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It's actually funny you said this: I heard a variation of this rumor this morning -- Ray Allen for Mobley and <I>Cato</I> (rather than Taylor). Source who told me though did not believe it.... I doubt there is anything to it. I would be interested though to hear more specifics on where you got it from - maybe we can trace the roots of this rumor.

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I would dance down Sixth Street naked if the Rockets pull this one off. I don't think that there is any way in hell Milwaukee pulls the trigger though.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If I am the Rockets I do this deal immediately! Ray Allen is much better than Mobley and the loss of Taylor can be made up down the road.

Ray Allen is a tremendous shooter and seems to be a good character guy. He would help stretch the defenses with Yao in the paint.

BUT, there is no WAY I see the Bucks doing this deal. I just don't see it. Seems like wishful thinking to me. I would think the Bucks would be robbed in this deal.

Chris

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It works salary cap wise.

Houston trades: SG Cuttino Mobley (17.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.0 apg in 41.9 minutes)
    PF Maurice Taylor (7.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.1 apg in 20.1 minutes)
    Houston receives: SG Ray Allen (21.4 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 3.4 apg in 35.7 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -3.9 ppg, -3.0 rpg, and -0.7 apg.

Milwaukee trades: SG Ray Allen (21.4 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 3.4 apg in 35.7 minutes)
    Milwaukee receives: SG Cuttino Mobley (17.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.0 apg in 44 games)
    PF Maurice Taylor (7.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.1 apg in 39 games)
    Change in team outlook: +3.9 ppg, +3.0 rpg, and +0.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Houston and Milwaukee being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston and Milwaukee had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

BUT, why would Milwaukee do this? Ray Allen has 2 years remaining on his contract. Cuttino has 3 and Mo 4. Allen is clearly the best player out of the 3.

12. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

Note to self: Don't go down to Sixth if this trade goes down...

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Damn right! If this goes down, drinks are on me tomorrow night at Shakespeare's.

In reality, this means that CD called Karl and asked about Ray Allen. CD offers Mobley and Cato. Karl says "f*ck you."

14. ewfd

ewfd Member

um..

so..

we lose a powerforward, and get another SG.

seems like we'd be left in the same boat we were before.

not solving our two main problems 1) lack of an assist machine PG 2) lack of a bruiser PF

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Mobley and Cato makes more sense for the Bucks than Taylor. The Bucks are DESPERATE for a center and Cato is pretty serviceable and with someone like Michael Redd and Mobley there might not be much of a drop off with Allen gone.

If I am the Rockets I STILL make the Mobley/Cato for Allen trade. You give up a decent player in Mobley and Cato and get an All Star shooting guard in return? Um, yeah!

Chris

16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

My goodness. That has to be a joke.

Mil's offense will be exactly like the Rockets current one, if they have Sam and Mobes in the backcourt. Sam is the one guy who dribbles more than Francis and Mobley.

17. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

I've got wood!!!!!

18. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

It went away....dang!

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Don't remember this. What did he say?

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Well, our assist machine would naturally turn into Francis/Yao as they would benefit by passing the ball to Allen for jump shots....."consistant" jump shots. Rebounding is less of an issue as more shots are made :D

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.