1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: James Harden sucks on D

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

James puts heart into his D, but he does make mistakes. Still, he's young and I find it odd to have someone call out a young player as a terrible defender when clearly that player is putting the effort into that area.

2. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

3. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

lin will cover for harden

4. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

He gambles or sometimes let's his opponent fly by him and hope that Asik will bail him out.

5. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

He was actually the OKC "stopper" for a stretch. He was brought in to guard Kobe or whoever the scoring wing was. I agree with the article. He's expending more energy scoring so his defense has gotten sloppy. I think he'll figure it out, especially if he hits another stretch where his scoring dips.

6. Charlatan

Charlatan Member

Lowe doesn't actually say "Harden sucks" in the article at all; that's just the thread title. He does imply that Harden is the worst perimeter defender that gets regular minutes for the Rockets. Given Harden's determination to get to the foul line on the offensive end, I think it's unsurprising that he resorts to some energy-saving gambling on defense. It'd be great to see him become a lockdown defender, but I don't think it's realistic given the pace the Rockets play at, his minutes, and his style of play.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

With Asik in the middle, it makes sense to take a lot of risks.

8. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Wat. Thabo has always been OKC's best perimeter defender

9. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

I have been harsh on Harden for a while now, but I wouldn't go that to far to claim he is the worst defender in the league. However, he does need to improve his defense. One thing is he needs to try to stay in front of his man, sometimes he let them go past him too easily for layups. Comparing to Lin, Harden doesn't like over helping like Lin always does. Over reaching is one of his bad habits. It makes him look so badly comparing to his offense.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Uh, so the idea is harden is supposed to be the focal point of the rockets super-high octane offense AND serve as the top permieter defender? No team does that in the regular season, even slower paced ones, or else their superstars would keel over and die in April. That's why you have role players like Parsons behind Harden to draw the tough defensive covers.

11. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Lowe is a good writer and if you follow him on twitter you'll notice that he actually watches Rockets games and seems like he's a fan.

12. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

Jame Harden couldn't even defend my grandma!!

--- SAS

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

:confused:

Nobody is asking for Harden to be the top perimeter defender he should at least try to not let his man fly by him so easily.

Lowe watches a lot of Rockets game & has always been supportive of the team. He's also a good writer & is quite fair in his critique. Nothing Lowe says is overly harsh or inaccurate.

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

15. onreego

onreego Member

Harden and Lin both have the tendency to ball watch. That along with bad team defense makes up for the low ranking.

16. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Carl likes to suck on D.

17. tor.rocks

tor.rocks Member

Harden has no defense. Water is wet. This is obvious.

Everyone who watches Houston ball, knows Harden has one of the worst defenses for a SG.

Some say he's saving his energy for his offensive skills, but I don't know. The dude is just lazy on the defensive end for some reason.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think he's defending a little better lately, but yeah for the most part he's been a poor defender this year. I didn't realize there was much argument on that.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Did people watch last night's game? He's actually been defending a lot better as has the team.

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Not only that but good TEAM defense will help make up for bad individual defense by rotating well when another player gets beat. This is something our young team is still learning to do together.

It takes time to build this type of trust and chemistry on the defensive end of the floor. Hopefully this full season and an offseason with upgrades where need be are made, will help mold this team into a complete, offensively and defensively.