1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Royce White surprises radio station with call, says plan is to join D-League on Feb 11 (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 23, 2013.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

WE ARE IN THE 12TH HOUR!
    LITERALLY THE 12TH HOUR!
    I WILL REPORT IN A MONTH!

2. yunac010

yunac010 Member

I have to see it to believe it... a lot can happen between now and Feb. 11.

3. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

royce sounded good to me.

don't get me wrong... i don't like all the drama and he could've handled alot of this better... BUT that said: if he can ball, he's welcome on this team.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What he is saying here has been pretty consistent throughout this drama. He's highly intelligent and articulate, and genuinely believes he is doing what will make him safe.

I think you have to give him some leeway here that indeed, he has some mental issues which can cause him some sort of pain. I believe that is the case. Seems like what he is asking for is new and throws a curve ball into the situation, but it's not entirely undoable.

If this protocol allows him to play and not be too much of a distraction - then better to have things unfold this way where he can feel safe or whatever and focus on basketball as opposed to having issues throughout the season that impact his performance.

The comment about McHale doesn't seem to be a big deal. Sounds like that's something that applies to any coach in the NBA versus college. He's right - this is a business, not an academic institution. His boss is Daryl Morey more than McHale. They have the same boss.

I can see why he might be concerned. If on a day-to-day basis he needs to constantly adjust to his mental situation, and McHale isn't empowered to make the accommodations that are required - White might literally feel "unsafe". I mean, that's the entire nature of anxiety disorder. Morey isn't going to be available every time White is having a mental issue. So it's important some process is in place to address things when they do happen.

It sounds like this is what he is holding out for - and honestly, in that regards - it sounds reasonable.

I think a lot of what's happening is the fact people are ripping him apart for being lazy or whatever. You have to commend him for staying consistent and standing up for what he wants in life. I don't think that makes him spoiled. He's not asking to be carried around in a golden chair - a protocol to address his mental issues sounds reasonable to me.

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

But he is a rookie, and held the Rockets to ransom, a basically been an egotistical A-hole. Everyone in the NBA can ball.

6. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Planning on coming back 3 weeks from now, Hmm is this him coming back as late as possible with trade deadline near. There can't be a team interested in him out there right now. In Whites mind he is blocking being dealt? With what has happened to date he should have no worries on being traded no one wants him.

7. gate470

gate470 Rookie

YAY! GOOD NEWS.

8. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Invaluable publicity for Jack in the Box, if nothing else.

9. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Why would he want to come back almost 3 weeks from now.. that is strange to me.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Quoting for emphasis as I think you have hit the nail on the head with this post.

He had the keys to the car and had Hoiberg by the shorthairs in college.

In the NBA, thankfully, there is...
    [​IMG]

11. ApuN

ApuN Member

This guy has been sitting on his a** for almost 4 months now...

This guy could go to work tomorrow...

This guy is full of sh**...

12. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

I told all you haters. !

Rockets won't let him go and it will all work out !

When he gets into shape he will dominate d league.

Some fans here have more anxiety then royce

You guys doubted morey once again

13. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Top five talent in a very deep draft. If comes on board now he could potentially be the #2 scoring option come playoff time

14. Nook

Nook Member

I don't care much.

I personally put the chance at 5% that he actually reports.

15. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Get his fat ass back in shape?

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think if they get the agreement or protocol figured out, it will be a lot less drama from here on out.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I see it as Morey giving Royce enough rope to hang himself with (maybe a bad figure of speech to use, talking about someone with a mental disorder). Give in to the protocol demands so no one can say the Rockets didn't try, and watch him founder anyway. I'm very skeptical now that he could be an integral player on any NBA team with his issues.

Also, I was thinking it was too bad for Royce's mental health campaign that he didn't get drafted before the CBA negotiation. Now, the union has a contract and can't do much. But, if he was an active union member during negotiations, he could have potentially put pressure on the union to negotiate all kinds of accomodation for mental disorders with the league, for which they'd have to give some concessions to gain. Just like the Rockets, the union would be treading carefully around the ADA.

18. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

If "in the 11th hour" means "the latest possible time before it is too late" what does "in the 12th hour" mean?

#Confused

:confused:

19. Yaowza!

Yaowza! Member

Hope he can get in game shape before the trade deadline?

20. smr6

smr6 Member

That the Soviets launched the missiles!