1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade deadline: make a move or stand pat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

What is with people wanting Millsap, Gay, Granger, etc?

Do you want to be mediocre?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gay and Granger NO

Milsap in a good situation is worth a look....

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think Morey will trade Parsons for any non-max-level SF. It is best to have Parsons+whatever you can get with a ton of cap room than to lose both Parsons and cap room for a good but not elite guy like Lol Dang or Iggy Iguodala.

1 person likes this.
  4. rogower

rogower Member

It appears to me that Denver intends to re-sign Andre Iguodala. They are definitely a team that needs to trim 2013-14 payroll (after re-signing Iguodala) in order to avoid the luxury tax but I think they'll look to trade JaVale McGee to a team with a bunch of cap space in exchange for a draft pick in the offseason. McGee is reasonably priced but George Karl doesn't seem interested in utilizing him properly. It appears to me that Denver's core is Iguodala-Danilo Gallinari-Ty Lawson-Kenneth Faried.

Chicago, on the other hand, is in a very tough spot. I suppose they could simply dump Carlos Boozer's contract via the amnesty clause but that will cost the team a ton of money. They presumably view Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah as their two keepers so it looks like they'll want to either a) trade Luol Deng or Taj Gibson to a team with a bunch of cap space or b) amnesty Boozer. And, as I've pointed out, I kind of doubt that they intend to re-sign Deng in the summer of 2014, for the same financial reasons. I realize that Deng is a good ballplayer, and that Chicago gets worse by making the sort of trade that I've proposed, but it's not like this team is really a championship contender this season, anyway. And they may be able to come close to replacing Deng's production on the cheap.

That Boozer contract was just idiotic from the get-go!

5. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

A.I. has taking 900 more three pointers than Deng so comparing their shooting percentage is deceptive.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Is Deng even better than Parsons now?

Code:
    	Deng 		Parsons
    PPG	17.7		14.4
    FG%	0.44		0.456
    3pt%	0.326		0.346
    RPG	6.7		6.2
    APG	2.9		3.5
    SPG	1.06		1.22
    Age	27		24
    MPG	[b]40.2		36.3[/b]
    Salary	13.3 mil	.8 mil

If Parsons averaged 40.2 minutes a game he would very likely be right at Deng's scoring average and rebonding average. Parsons is already leading in all other statistical catagories.

I like Deng a lot and would love to have him but I would not be willing to trade Parsons for him. Personally I do think Deng is better now but but not by much and Parsons is still improving and learning the NBA. Deng is what he is, he has nowhere to go but down in his career.

#126 crash5179, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  7. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I agree. I only brought up A.I. as a free agent acquisition.

8. rogower

rogower Member

Again, there are a grand total of ZERO teams in the league that value Chandler Parsons at his price and his age over Luol Deng at his price and his age. So while I think Houston would be interested in Deng, and has a reasonable shot at prying away Deng from Chicago, there is a 0% chance that Houston trades a Parsons-centered package for a Deng-centered package.

As BimaThug tried to explain a while ago, that Parsons contract is an incredible asset. When you are getting that kind of bang for your buck from one player, it really makes putting together a team a hell of a lot easier.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I will take Parsons over Deng.

10. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets would have no interest in Taj. He is a mediocre starter and over paid.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

After a 3 game loosing steak, me and many others would like some moves to be made this deadline. Particularly upgrading at the 4, and moving our expiring's instead of loosing them for nothing in the off season.

Some players i like, that are pretty quite right now and can be had for cheap are
    R.Jackson - OKC, D.Jones - Dallas, D.Blair - Spurs, J.Henson - Bucks, T.Harris Bucks.

These are the players that are in buy low now situations, that i think can be pretty solid in the future. All really young, under 23 can develop with our core...hardest player to get would be henson, but he's on a packed bucks front court, i don't see why the bucks would hold out if we offer a good package.

Deng is nice but, way too much, would much rather have parsons who is already here, cheaper, knows are system is doing great and is only 24 with our age group. We got another 4-5 years probably before were contenders (hopefully), why get deng when we have parsons?

Patterson, Morris, Douglas, Delfino, Aldrich should all be heavily shopped at the deadline, hopefully we'l be able to get some picks and solid young players like the ones i named.

12. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Someone set this man stright.

13. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

J.J. Hickson is available

14. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

minor move

Patterson and Aldrich for Hickson

15. crash5179

16. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Glen Davis. The realistic option. The Magic just beat the Clippers without Glen Davis, so they may be willing to deal him and the Rockets could use him down low.

Playoff experience. Better rebounder and post player than what the Rockets have now at PF. More size than Paul Millsap.

I've tried several Rockets-Magic trade scenarios for Glen Davis using the Real GM Trade Checker and ESPN Trade Machine and most of them work.

The Rockets have numerous PFs who could be involved in the deal including Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris, Greg Smith, Donatas Montiejunas, Terrence Jones and Royce White.

Just look at the two team's rosters and play around a little. You'll find lots of trade scenarios that work and could benefit both teams.

17. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

actually im right bozo

18. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

19. crash5179

When did the Bulls move Taj into the starting line-up. Last time I checked

Noah
    Boozer
    Deng

were the Bulls starting front court.

20. rogower

rogower Member

What a homer!

Portland presumably would demand a first round pick for J.J. Hickson. However, Hickson is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, and was given up on by multiple teams in the very recent past. That really hurts his trade value. I think that it's more likely that Portland holds on to the guy and tries to re-sign him to an extension this summer.

Also, Glen Davis kind of sucks, and gets paid a lot of money to kind of suck. 0% chance that a well-managed team such as Houston is going to be interested in trading for this guy.