1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Morris replace 2Pat at the starting 4?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by spdngyns69, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

They both have played well and poorly at times. I don't care who starts or comes off the bench. McHale may want to play Morris with the second unit because he is a better play maker and ball handler than PPat. I hoping at some point we will see TJones or D-Mo play backup PF and Morris can backup Parsons.

2. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

I like the feel with pat coming off bench . . . Why change a good groove?

3. lfw

lfw Rookie

I think who should start should depend on matchups.

4. Sanity2disChaos

But can't shoot the 3...but I'll trade live legs and an absolute beast for the 3 ball...

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Morris is having a lot of trouble with plays where he has too much time to think...but he's really good on instinctual moves/plays. Still nervous, i guess, but he needs to improve that.

6. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

This. Because good groves are hard to come by.

7. teebone21

teebone21 Member

morris defense and rebounding are lacking and he is getting destroyed by opposing PF's . Atleast ppat has started rebounding consistantly since return an also seem to have that shooting stroke back. Hope he gets a post game one year

8. PureElement

PureElement Member

I still like Morris since he runs better than Pat and has range from every spot on the 3 point line. I think he is a better fit with the starting unit, while Pat can play more when we're not running. We want to establish our tempo early and only when some of our starters are out that we should go with Pat and a more half court offence. I think we can keep our rotation for now, its working out well.

9. lfw

lfw Rookie

I think I had a slight chance of opinion. Patterson has been shooting extremely well off the bench. He's shooting 71% over the past 5 games. I think he needs to be back in the starting line-up. The slow starts are mostly because the starters are missing shots. There is enough scoring coming off the bench from Delfino and Douglas and Morris has shown he can play coming off the bench.

10. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Patrick Patterson - Should he start over Morris?

As we all know Patterson had a bruised foot and took a few weeks off. Morris became our PF starter and our team has enjoyed a lot of success.

Recently though Morris has gone under a huge shooting slump.

Morris' numbers for January

Mins FG% REB AST PTS
    22.7 .273 5.3 1.7 5.3

Besides his shooting numbers his play has regressed, his screens are weak, he struggles to box-out his man, he can't finish strong at the rim, his defense is mediocre and he's often abused in the post.

In our last few games we've given up double-digit leads but fortunately recovered against weaker opponents. We can't keep giving opponents generous leads like that and expect to win games consistently. Of course, Mooks isn't the only problem, but he's evidently been our biggest weakness.

Patterson's numbers for January
    Mins FG% REB AST PTS
    23.3 .714 6.7 1.7 16.0

Simply put, Patterson has been beasting. Earlier in the season I felt as though while he got good numbers he had very negligible impact as he was 'soft', settling too often for jumpshots, and on the other side of the ball he struggled to box-out his man and compete for rebounds. Recently though, even though he's nursing a bone bruise he's been playing with great energy, defending hard and making great hustle plays for loose balls and 2nd chance opportunities. Morris has lit up his arse and he's finally playing like a fantastic PF.

Factor in that Patterson has an exceptional mid-range jump-shot and an actual post-game, perhaps we should not only see him in the starting line-up, but give him some post-up opportunities in our half-court sets.

I think it's about time Patterson started over Morris.

11. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Why change a winning formula? Forget the stats

12. stiiphler

stiiphler Member

No. Patterson is better off the bench

13. Robjos

Robjos Member

couldnt have posted this on the many already available posts discussing the same subject?

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

This.

I think it's awesome having PPatt off the bench. It adds another scorer off the bench that we can rely on if the team comes out flat like it did today. When Morris becomes a liability but hurting the team when he starts, that's when you make the change. Right now it's all working well.

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Patterson is definitely playing better as a Sub. As a starter never saw a post move or offensive rebound. He plays better when he feels there is something to attain; the prize being a starting spot.

17. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

We're winning....let's keep going until we lose. I do feel we're better off with Patterson cuz he can shoot 3 and play better defense than Morris and probably better rebounder. We're not doing great inside against the Lakers. But w/ Morris, he has the ability to attack the basket which Patterson couldn't...this is the reason why he is starting. Both players have their plus and minus imo.

18. platypus

platypus Member

I think morris is better starting versus off the bench. Likewise Patterson is better as a rotational guy rather than starting. Unless Patterson can shoot the three better than morris I don't think he will start.

And I don't think it'll cause any problems either, McHale has this team on lock.

19. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Because our last three wins have been against the Bucks, Hornets and short-handed, self-imploding Lakers recovering from double-digit deficits?

We're not going to be able to beat the better teams in the league giving them double digit leads headed into the 3rd and at this point coaching staff should be giving more consideration about our play-offs.

20. pnr

pnr Member

The only consistent player on the team is Harden. I say don't change anything cause we're winning. I'm just glad the team takes turns on who steps up in each game. :D