1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dirk: Can't build your franchise on hope

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This is the Circle of Life in the NBA -- every year there are surprises and disappointments. Right now, as far as the West is concerned, Golden State and Houston are the surprises and Dallas, Minnesota and the LA Lakers are the disappointments.

Still a lot of time left and I'm not sure if they're going to stay down, but guys who you would have thought would be untouchable could suddenly become available for the right price.

I don't think Cuban would deal Dirk, but that team is going to be spinning its wheels if they don't land a top free agent.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is the main reason GMs and FO should never listen to fans (and players) demands that you do everything to "win it all". Winning it all just doesn't compare to being competitive every single year, I know that sounds strange but in the NBA you're only as good as your current team, the Mavs never got **** from fans and players before they went all in because that team was always competitive and had a puncher's chance in the playoffs.

Now everyone is all up Cuban's grill, including Dirk despite the fact that they won a ring 2 years ago.

The crazy thing is Cuban did the right thing, they weren't going anywhere even if he had resigned Chandler, and they would have lost all flexibility moving forward. Losing out on Deron/Cp3/DH is tough but at least they were in the position to sign them, similar to how the Rox were whiffing out on Bosh and melo (ugh) prior to getting Harden.

Anyway I don't want Dirk on the team. He has the ideal game for Harden and Lin however he's also on his last legs, we should keep our assets for someone who would be here long term.

3. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think this is why you have to be very certain about your ability to persuade free agents if you're going the signing FA route. Every year when big names supposedly hit the market, only a few teams can land these guys if they don't get traded (which is a far greater likelihood in this CBA). Which then leaves a number of teams who risked a great deal to clear space and are now left with nothing to build on but hope lost and hope for the future.

With a market like ours in Houston and a team like the Rockets.....Morey's Moneyball is whats necessary in order to make deals in this NBA. Unless you're a big market, you have to be wise with your $$ and assets. I live in Dallas and listen to sports radio all the time.....it's always been about the hope of Dwill, DHo, CP3. None of that is happening and the Mavs are as lost as any franchise can be. In essence, they are where we were in the last year of Yao. Too big of a contract with Dirk who can't attract any other FA's. Let's see how fast they can rebuild.....took DM 2-3 years to get us on the right path.

As y'all can tell by my username.....I'm loving every minute of Mavs fans despair and futile attempt at holding onto hope.

2 people like this.
  4. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

So we have been talking about what position we needed to upgrade on this team. Obviously, Osik is the foundation of the defense, so the position we want to upgrade is the PF position, BUT not just ANY PF! We need a PF that stretch the floor because it will open up the lane for Lin and Harden to attack the basket. If you have a PF like for example, Pau Gasol, his man is just going to stay around the painted area and try to prevent penetration because they knew Pau is not a very good 3pt shooter. But if you have someone like Dirk, now that's the ideal PF we're looking for. Of course, not just anyone that can shoot, but also play defense and rebound too.

We actually have an ideal PF in Patrick Patterson, he ain't that bad and can shoot 3. But the difference between him and Marcus Morris is that Morris not just shoot 3, but has the ability to attack the basket as well...making it more lethal. That's why i think McHale like to start Morris because w/ Patrick, he doesn't have the ability to drive and attack. But there is a plus and minus for both players. Even though Patterson doesn't attack, he has the ability to post up and play better D and seems to rebound better.

5. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

lol. Build your franchise on hpe. Dirk couldn't have said it better cause thats what the Rockets did for the last 3 years, but it paid off at the end, but Dirk doesn't have 3 years to waste does he?

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Barkley, Malone, and GP all had to fight Jordan over it.

7. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Here is how I see it. I think Dirk is requesting for a trade to the Lakers to play with Steve Nash. He clearly would like to be traded for Pau Gasol. That trade is helpful for both teams although it favors the Lakers. Dwight gets to roam the paint, without the pressure to finish games. Kobe has another scoring partner. The chemistry Dirk has with Nash would help Mike D'Antoni look good. The only thing that is more important than speed in Mikes system is shooting something that Dirk clearly has mastered. For Dallas you still have enough talent to play for this year and with the expiring contracts this years and Pau Gasols contract next year you can be free agent players this off season and next.

8. Classic

Classic Member

[​IMG]

9. underrated015

underrated015 Member

sounds good but make mark cuban do that one. he doesn't care about pau or the lakers. dirk, ur getting paid nicely. do your job.

10. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

That's a brain-dead trade for the Mav's.

11. IBTL

IBTL Member

Wait cuban isn't the god that everyone on clutchfans said he was?

:rolleyes:

its like some kind of cliche or requirement to fellate cuban at every turn when cuban got rid of nash that went on to win not 1 but

[​IMG]

MVPs.

Cuban finally being exposed.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nowitzki has a massive expiring contract after next season. Why would Cuban trade him? To help the Lakers? I could see that deal because of the salaries involved, and the age of the two players, but why would Cuban do it? And who else would deal for an aging star coming off of knee surgery with a huge contract?

Surely not the Rockets.

13. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Why not the Rockets? If his knee checks out and he is healthy I think he would be an ideal PF for this team. The guy is a top 15 player in the league when healthy....just 2 years ago he was arguably the best player in the playoffs. You team him up with Harden and you instantly move this team up to championship caliber.

This is all dependent on his health.......but I would be all for acquiring Dirk as long as he is healthy. Harden is only 23........lets make a run for the championship as soon as possible with dirk the next few years then when his contract expires go for another elite big.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Right... No difference, except Harden is 10 years younger than Dirk and the Rockets have a number of good young players... Exact same.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

In the past 4 years, how many 3rd to 6th options has Morey acquired? about 10 right? 2 or 3 every single year.

How many stars has he landed? 1

This is why people say "we'd trade everything but Harden for Love", while like the guys we have, they can be replaced, and with 2 guys under 25, they can be replaced before they're even 27.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I like Cuban, but going for salary flexibility with your franchise player being a cpl years on the wrong side of 30, wasn't the best of ideas.

17. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

As a German myself I'd be thrilled to have Dirk on the Rockets. His playing style would greatly fit into what we are doing here - you can't find a better spread four and he can get his own shots on nights Harden is off.

You could question his age, but his play really isn't based on athleticism or speed - the only question is: how long can his body hold up.

His defense is a big question mark though... Our team is fine on offense but could really use a shot blocker down low. Now Dirk would make us worse in that aspect... But I would be willing to take a chance...

Problem is: no way Cuban trades him - without him the Mavs are not relevant for the near future.

18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

They are tanking. They are tanking hard...Doesn't.this exact same scenario feel all to familiar, especially to some of the closet Spurs fans in here? i can't tell whether or not Cuban is going to use the pick and keep it or use it in a package to get a player. But it sure as heck smells like tank. Is cuban that big of a douche....? yes he is. Dirk is going to rot in mav's town, which is right where he belongs. I hope that whole organization gets screwed though and ends up not getting what they were shooting for. I truly hope Cuban and the mavs never make a play off game and the ghost and curse of Stern haunts cuban for many years to come.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it's a shame Dirk is wasting his time there. I wish they would trade him somewhere he can do some damage. Trading for Pau makes no sense. Trading for Howard might. I don't think the Rockets have the right paclage to offer.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

did Nash win a championship?