1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ClutchFans Game Thread: Hawks @ Rockets 12/31/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 30, 2012.

1. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

More like the last 30 games.

2. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Losing is not an option!

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

Hope we win this. All of our starters need a bounce back game after the OKC blow out minus Marcus. Marcus played great against OKC so hopefully he keeps it up. Don't want to see any Cole Aldrich never ever, & less Douglas.

4. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Unfortunately, this is looking like a tough game.

ATL just put 109 or so on the Pacers, who have the top defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions) in the NBA. And they did it without Josh Smith.

ATL is good on defense (#7 defensive rating in the NBA), and their weakness is more on offense. But that didn't seem to be the case against Indiana.

Still not clear if Josh Smith will play.

Let's go Rockets! Time to snap that 2-game losing streak.

5. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

East is really weak as they have lots of average players.

only josh smith would omake our starting 4

6. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

These guys are playing way better then expected. Cant take them lightly at all.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

[ ] Opponent team has losing record
    [*] East Conference team
    [*] Playing at Toyota Center
    [*] Opponent team overachieving and not as good as their record
    [*] Not a back to back for the Rockets
    [ ] Back to back for opposing team
    [*] No major injury DNPs for Rockets
    [?] Major injury DNPs for opposing team

Seems to me we're favored in this one.

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Joe Johnson has never really been their best player. Maybe his first year or 2.

9. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Yeah, hopefully it's a rout. But ATL has played pretty well this year.

10. The_Real_McCoy

Jeff Teague is very similar to Lin

11. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

you think the players will be recovered from the back2back games?

12. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

"I don't know when playing 4 games in 5 nights became such a big deal.... We’re not laying brick in a 110 degree heat. We’re playing basketball."

Sincerely,

Kevin McHale

13. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Fun facts about Atlanta:

They've won their last 4 since Lou Williams was moved into the starting lineup. He then proceeds to play HUGE minutes at guard.

It's a smart move and perhaps Atlanta's only move, since Atlanta's backcourt depth is not great to begin with, but here are some facts about Lou Williams that might be interesting as well:

1. Lou Williams is 6'1" on his tippie toes.

2. Lou Williams is not considered a strong defender, and is valued more for his offensive punch.

3. Larry Drew will nevertheless play him at shooting guard.

4. I want you to briefly consider a lineup consisting of Jeff Teague (6'2") at point guard, Lou Williams (6'1") at shooting guard, and Kyle Korver (6'7") at small forward. You've heard of small ball? That's like tiny ball. That might get it done against a team of Eastern Conference marks like the Pacers or Cavs, but I doubt they get away with that against Houston.

Conclusion: I expect big games from James Harden and Chandler Parsons, the former of which will be guarded by a guy sized like a point guard, and the latter of which will be guarded by a guy sized like a shooting guard.

14. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

They play the same position and the similarities end there.

Jeff Teague is a monstrously athletic player with quickness, hops, and a penetrating style of play that make him similar to a Westbrook or a Rose over a Jeremy Lin.

I've maintained that Teague has been Atlanta's best player for years, and with Joe Johnson gone, he is really starting to shine this season.

15. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Actually, that's not true....statistically they are very similar. It's not just that they just play the same position.

16. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

A win to end 2012, Lin & Harden rule the game!

17. The_Real_McCoy

Age and stats are similar.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com...sum=0&p1=linje01&y1=2013&p2=teaguje01&y2=2013

Teague definitely plays above the rim better, but they are similar in the sense that they are both quick, penetrating guards with shaky J's. Teague is doing better with his shot, but he he's was never known as a good shooter. Other than the freakish vertical of Teague, I don't think there's a big difference in athleticism between the two. I haven't seen enough of Jeff Teague this year to judge his court vision, but last year it was pretty average (not a lot to judge on though since he mainly just brought the ball up court). Overall, Jeff Teague is doing a little better (PER is the holy grail of stats IMO), but you can't argue that you don't see similarities. At the very least, Jlin is closer to Teague than Monta Ellis is to Dwade

18. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

I really hope we find a way to win, as I feel it will be a close game. Lin should play much better tonight though

19. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Oh, the player who shoots 39% from three and penetrates using the threat of his three point shot and his athleticism is not only similar but "statistically similar" to the player who shoots 27% from three and needs high pick N roll action to do so?

Gosh I didn't know that.

You learn something new every day.

Also: Watch more basketball. Please.

20. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Uh....ALSO: Learn how to read. Please.
    I said statistically similar and you're bringing up atheticism and pnr? What did I miss? And let me reemphasize I said similar.

Besides their 3pt shooting %, they are very similar in almost every category.