1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#Progress: White to work out with member of Rockets staff at Toyota Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 20, 2012.

1. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Honestly, this is probably the worst pick ever in the Morey era. A gamble that completely backfired. D-Mo and TJones really have to impress to call the 2012-13 Draft a success for Houston. Sad thing is the Rockets aren't even playing the two rookies, which probably means they're not impressive. Disappointing draft.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

At this point, if we can get Joyce off the books with minimal financial loss and him going completely broke and homeless within a year, I'd call that a raging success.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

A couple of points:

Exceptions are the mechanism that allows teams to make transaction when they are over the cap. The Rockets are under the cap so unless the exception is larger than their cap space then it is of no use to them.

The disabled player exception is 50% of the players salary with a cap of the league average salary. In White's case that would be just over $800k.

So in this particular case it wouldn't be of any use (even if it were granted).

1 person likes this.
  4. bongman

bongman Member

Smith and MM did not get a lot of PT last season too and look at them now. I feel that it's way too early (30 games) to conclude anything about the draft.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

One notable exception: those guys all seem much more interested in playing basketball than Royce White does.

The man signed a contract and it's like he's doing the Rockets a favor by talking to them about maybe, kinda sorta coming back sometime.

My 12 year old follows him on Twitter. Yesterday he read the tweet thta was posted here as well and said, "Royce White will never play NBA basketball for any team. He's done." I tend to think he's right.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I still don’t understand how this guy was drafted if the Rockets did even a little bit of homework on him. There is no way this guy could have masked his issues well enough to fool anyone who was paying attention. I get the whole “high risk, high reward” concept but when the risk is ridiculously high you keep shopping. Not to mention, I don’t feel his upside was ever very high. It isn’t like undersized PF with below average athleticism, no motor and no offensive game are a rare commodity in the league.

The Rockets need to drop this guy like a hot potato and let him be the cautionary tale he is.

7. breakmon

breakmon Member

That may be true but I've noticed that most young children simply repeat what their parents say (maybe in different words, but still). So what you have been saying to him has probably been a big factor in his analysis.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Simple. He had what Morey viewed as top 5 in the draft talent so it was worth the risk of using a 16th pick on him. 16th picks in the first round rarely do much in the NBA so I don't think we lost much.

9. MadMax

Not exactly sure how this advances the discussion on Royce White, but thanks for your input :)

10. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Whether it advances the discussion is irrelevant. He did analyze ur situation and came to a logical conclusion that i thought was fair. Children tend to be influenced by their parents and maybe if you were a big supporter of white ur child may have said something different. In the end it really doesn't matter though so i agree with ur initial premise that it doesn't advance the discussion.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Go back and watch his college highlights. When he plays basketball, he is a certified bad ass.

12. MadMax

Awesome :)

Not that it matters...but my kid is absolutely influenced by me...but I've never suggested to him that I didn't think he'd play a game in the NBA...that was his inference from the tweet he read. The point wasn't that my kid said it, though...I was relating a story about a reasonable inference from what Royce was saying that I agree with at this point. He gets lots of information about the Rockets from other sources than me.

Anyway...

13. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>If you believe <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Money">#Money</a> is more important then <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Health">#Health</a>...then you've bought into the very idea that has created a tumultuous global society...</p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/284743273929662464" data-datetime="2012-12-28T19:31:01+00:00">December 28, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. AirSwish

AirSwish Member

And then go back and look at his history. Changing High schools and quitting U of Minnesota because he was feeling unsafe because of the cops. Yup, he was sure a certified bad ass.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Then go back and look at his history of GAD's and OCD and you would understand this bad ass needs to be on the court.

16. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Why couldn't he work out before?

17. JPhil93

JPhil93 Member

There have been players with a much more colorful past than Royce and the Rockets wouldn't have drafted him unless they did their due diligence. I think were all not looking at the fact that he cant play because of issues with the CBA and inputing his protocol constructed by the Team doctors. Just letting him go and getting our money would be the dumbest outcome of all of this. He has potential and we shouldnt let him go anywhere until we get to see him play.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

how does he plan to support a child without money?

19. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Who knows ? This clown is on his soapbox preaching about transparency,yet after thousands of tweets no one has a clue what he wants.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

We still don't know how this will end, but so far it smells a lot like the Terrance Williams acquisition.

Morey seems to have shifted his philosophy a bit. With Yao/McGrady, Moreyball was all about bringing in the sabermetric super-role players at insane value.

In the last 2-3 years, we've gotten Vegas Elvis: longshot odds dice rolls and going all in whenever a franchise player is showing.

To a certain degree, I agree with him - the league is all about your lead dog(s). Players 4-15 on almost any team in the league are disposable and easily replaced/attained.

My only quibble is that I wish the team wouldn't be caught holding the bag so often on guys that are clearly not going to reach the potential that Morey was gambling on. The logjam at forward stinks, and stunts the development on guys like Jones or Motiejunas.