1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OPINION SURVEY] Best PF Upgrades & Expectations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Just for fun and curiosity, I thought I'd post a survey for Clutchfans regarding the best upgrade for the PF position. The "Love vs LMA" discussion in the "Harden hugging Love Pic" thread got me curious what others think on a larger scale. This thread ASSUMES the next major move to upgrade this team into Championship contender will be at the PF spot.

If there are enough respondents, I’ll compile the results and post here after the thread replies die down.

Question #1: Who do you think would most improve the Rockets (not necessarily who you think is the best) at the PF position for the next 5 years regardless of contract, availability, etc? Please list at most your top 5 in order of priority. (If you’d like, you can add how you think each person would improve this Rockets team)

Here’s mine:
    1) Kevin Love – True stretch 4 that fits this team perfectly
    2) LMA – All around great 4, but limited range and some health concerns
    3) Josh Smith - Defensive beast but very limited offensive game and poor BBIQ
    4) Paul Milsap – Solid 4 that does everything good
    5) Chris Bosh – Still elite level performance now, but questionable 3-5 years from now

Question #2: On a scale of 0-5 (0 being the least amount of cost possible and 5 being the highest amount of cost possible), rank how much you think it’d cost the Rockets to acquire each person on your top 5 list. This is just another way to determine if you think the market over/undervalues each of these players, how much leverage the team who owns the players rights has, and if we have the assets to pay the price for these players. (If you’d like, you can add what you think it’d take to get each player on your list)

1) Kevin Love – 4 (Parsons + Asik + a couple mid 1st rounders)
    2) LMA – 3 (Parsons + Asik OR a plethora of our young bigs + a late 1st rounder + filler)
    3) Josh Smith – 2 (A LOT of cap space or a couple of our young bigs + a protected 1st)
    4) Milsap – 1 (Cap Space OR one/two of PPat, Mmorris, Tjones, Dmo, or Smith)
    5) Chris Bosh – 3 (Parsons + PPat or Morris + a top 10 protected 1st rounder + filler)

Question #3: On a scale of 0-5, (0 being no confidence and 5 being absolute confidence) how sure are you that Daryl Morey will be able to appropriately identify the best fit for the Rockets, pay the best price, and pull off the acquisition?

Identifying the Best Fit – 5
    Paying the Best Price – 4
    Closing a Deal – 3

Question #4: When do you think the Rockets will be able to make the next major acquisition (assuming for a PF)? This questions helps to assess your expectations and timeframe for championship contention.

A. This Trade Deadline 2013
    B. Summer FA 2013
    C. Trade Deadline 2014
    D. Summer FA 2014
    E. Trade Deadline 2015
    F. Summer FA 2015

I think “E” (Trade Deadline '15) in which case the prices paid in question #2 change assuming we have additional assets to deal with by then, the market value might change for each player and the leverage the team has is likely to decrease.

I'd also say that I'd like to hold onto Dmo if at all possible because I think he has the most potential to develop into exactly the kind of PF that we need.

Feel free to debate/discuss one another’s selections, but remember these are peoples opinions and the selections are bound to be highly subjective. It’d be interesting to see though if there is a majority consensus on any of these questions.

2. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I want Paul Millsap on a 4 year deal at 9 mil. per. He's a perfect fit.

3. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

I agree, but would pay more. :)

4. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

top 3 guys I would look for with the criteria of fit on the team and someone who is attainable. In no particular order.

Millsap- could stretch out Defense with mobility and shot
    Josh Smith- Les Alexander said he was looking to keep running. as far as that criteria he fits the perfect mold.
    Ryan Anderson- lights out shooter, underrated rebounder. Could see us snagging him from NO for the right pieces.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

1) Aldridge (to have a post threat)
    2) Love
    3) Millsap
    4) Josh Smith

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Ryan Anderson. Last year's MIP is only 24 and on a nice contract that can make him a better asset later on. He spreads the floor with his legitimate 3pt shooting to really open those driving lanes up for Lin and Harden. He's also a decent rebounder. Defense is a little suspect though.

7. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

8. JPhil93

JPhil93 Member

Without a doubt it's Kevin love. A stretch four that can hit the three and post when needed. Imagine a harden-love pick and pop. It would be unstoppable.

9. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

The Clippers have a good young PF who never plays named Trey Thompkins. Very skilled young big man who hasn't got much of a shot yet due to the Clippers depth at PF the past two seasons. Fundamentally sound. Smart player. He can score in the post down low and also from the perimeter. Better rebounding potential than what the Rockets have now at that spot.

6'8" PF Royce White and 6'1" PG Scott Machado for 6'10" PF Trey Thompkins. Trade opens spot for 6'1" PG Patrick Beverley.

10. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

I just don't see how we could package a deal for a player like Love, LA, Bosh. Unless the teams go into red-alert mode they are sticking to their guys. Even if they do, I think other teams around the league could offer better assets. Were going to use this summer FA to fill that roster spot

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

13. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

Why would we ever do this? We have better prospects in T.Jones and D-Mo who are in the same situation as him in LA

14. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Millsap!

He fits Daryl Morey's description of needing a PF who can excel in a half-court situation but then can also opportunistically be fit in a running scheme, too.

He is more than solid on both ends

15. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Because the Rockets lose two players who will never contribute in mental patient Royce White + Scott Machado (replaced by Patrick Beverley) and receive a bigger young player with skills who can contribute in Trey Thompkins who is currently buried behind Blake Griffin and Lamar Odom in LA.

16. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Most likely attainable for pretty cheap. Still pretty young, yet already quite good. Great fit. Could help bring over Llull with him.

Get it done Morey!

17. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

He's just going to get buried behind TJ and Dmo, who are already buried behind PPat and MM

18. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Let's see:

LMA: big health concerns. Josh Smith: Low BBIQ, doesn't fit our high BBIQ team. Chris Bosh: too old.

Kevin Love or Ryan Anderson fit our team best. But those two teams will never trade them away, so it's moot point.

Paul Millsap: a bit short for 4. But on his last contract year. It's possible Jazz trade him since they already have Derrick Favors.

So my conclusion is: most likely Paul Millsap. :p

19. thekad

thekad Member

My Top 5 list is similar though I would simply stop after Josh Smith - there just isn't a big enough upgrade with anyone else (and Bosh isn't leaving Miami). If Cousins shows any signs of improvement, I would put him second after Love.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would take Bosh in a heartbeat but Miami isn't giving him up while they are winning championships.

After Bosh, I would take LA because he's a true post threat. Love would be after Bosh and LA.