1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Police Officer Among 2 Fatally Shot in Houston.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by smoove shoez, Dec 24, 2012.

1. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

A traffic stop turned into a fatal shooting on Christmas Eve when a gunman killed a police officer and bystander in the parking lot of a Houston body shop, police said.

The confrontation followed a chase that began shortly before 9 a.m. Monday when the suspect sped off in his car rather than pull over as an officer had requested, Houston police spokesman John Cannon said. As the suspect fled, he sideswiped a white truck, which also took off after him, he said.

The suspect and the white truck eventually pulled into a nearby Maaco body shop, where an officer with the Bellaire Police Department approached the vehicle, Cannon added. Apparently, he said, an argument of sorts erupted, and the suspect pulled out a .380 caliber handgun and shot the officer.

"The saddest thing is that the officer, who is deceased, didn't have the opportunity to pull his weapon and defend himself," Cannon said. "It happened that fast."

A man then walked out of the body shop, and the suspect shot him, Cannon said.

Other officers arrived at the scene, where they found the officer lying on the ground and the suspect next to him, holding a gun, he said.

"They are immediately fired upon, and those two officers then returned fire," Cannon said.

The suspect was shot but fled on foot, Cannon said. He hid under a parked truck, but officers followed a trail of blood and arrested him.

"This suspect murdered a police officer and murdered an innocent bystander," Cannon said.

Police have not released the identities of the officer, the bystander or the suspect.

Hours later, the parking lot of the body shop remained cordoned off with yellow police tape. Officers milled around, collecting evidence and discussing the incident. The owners of a nearby auto parts store closed up early for Christmas, although other stores in the strip mall remained open as people rushed in for last-minute holiday errands.

Stephanie Pacheco, who works at the auto parts store, said she saw the officer get out of his patrol car in the parking lot next door and approach the driver. The officer opened the suspect's car door and tried to pull him out, she told the Houston Chronicle.

That's when the suspect opened fire, she said. The officer fell down, and the suspect continued firing shots in other directions, Pacheco said.

"This is senseless, ridiculous and needs to stop," Pacheco said. "I'm tired of seeing people die. It's a sad thing."

The suspect shot the bystander at close range, and he died at the scene, Cannon said. It wasn't clear why the man stepped outside the body shop or whether he was an employee or a customer, he added. The officer was rushed to a Houston hospital where he died.

Houston Police Chief Charles McClelland visited with the dead police officer's family at the hospital. Although the officer was not a member of McClelland's department, the chief said all law enforcement officers share a bond.

"This should be a joyous time," McClelland said. "Christmas will have a different meaning for this family."

The suspect remains in a Houston hospital where he is in critical but stable condition. Cannon said he is expected to survive.

Houston and Bellaire police and the Harris County District Attorney's office are investigating. Cannon said the suspect likely would face a multitude of charges, including capital murder of a police officer.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

RIP to the victims.

Such a senseless deat

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

If the guy fled the first time then why didnt the cop take extra precautions?
    Cop shouldn't of just opened the door like that.

4. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Your not gonna believe what Quanel X just said. He said he can't believe that guy is being accused of shooting the police officer.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't give a **** what he sez. tymv

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

NO! The saddest thing is that 2 people are DEAD! :mad:

I pray for their families and friends.
    I hope justice is done.

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  7. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

The innocent bystander was the owner of the body shop.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If only the cop would have had a gun.

9. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

I pretty sure the cop had his gun.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What CometsWin posted. I get his point.

11. wtfamonkey

wtfamonkey Member

This is terribly sad. RIP :(

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is why when people disrespect cops as a whole on this board it really gets on my nerves. There is a reason why they seem so uptight... Its probably because any routine little traffic stop could be their last.

1 person likes this.
  13. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Sigh....

14. BenVR4

BenVR4 Member

haven't read a cop being shot in a while its usually the cops doing the killing, what a horrible turn of events

15. The Law

The Law Member

RIP my brother in blue. A wife and two children are mourning this Christmas instead of celebrating its true meaning.

God just got another deputy in Heaven.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

Right by my grandmothers house. Very sad news, prayers to their families

17. David Stern

David Stern Member

Lol wut? I don't think it works like that.

18. The Law

The Law Member

Your an ignorant taint. It's an old time saying in my profession and Officer Norman is no longer with us.

Hide behind your keyboard and make jokes and hope to God your never in a situation like that you weak puss.

1 person likes this.
  19. David Stern

David Stern Member

Whatever makes you sleep better at night;)