1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeMarcus Cousins: Get 'er done Morey!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sooty, Jan 1, 2012.

?

Should the Rockets pursue DeMarcus Cousins?

1. Yes

538 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. No

237 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Parsons and Asik might do it at this point. I'm a little concerned about Cousin's attitude. Also, how can't a center have a .414 fg%? But the talent is there. Very few can move like him at his size

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I would not give Parsons and Asik for the guy. Maybe one or two among the rookies and Morris, a draft pick and taking back an unwanted contract (Salmons).

The key, I think, is to make sure that the team has enough to work with even if Cousins become a total bust. He is acting like a brat because he knows the Kings are dependent on him. You want to make sure he's in a situation where he is expendable, where you can bench his ass without worrying about the team's performance if he doesn't fall in line.

If this means some other team will get him instead of the Rockets, so be it, let them take the risk if they are willing to pay more. As I said, this was Morey's approach in the rent-a-Dwight scenario (remember ORL said Morey was unwilling to up his bid before they went with the other package) and I think this will be his approach in a Cousins deal, too.

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Nobody in Sac can run the P~n~R, he'll excel wildly if he got to play off Harden and Lin.

4. Orange

Orange Member

Wrong.

5. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Is Salmons contract that bad? Obviously he's not very good anymore but his contract is only for 2012-13 and 13-14. His contract in 2014-15 is only 1 million guaranteed, so he'd be a nice trade asset.;)

6. Carl Herrera

So, here are my questions:

Which teams will have the most interest in Cousins and what will they offer?

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well the popular choice so far seems to be OKC. So now the question becomes, does he want to be re-united with Daniel Orton or Patrick Patterson?

8. dragonz

dragonz Member

Cousins is a rare combination of Strength and Agility

It would be interesting if Rockets go for him and how to play...

9. dragonz

dragonz Member

His skill well displayed:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dwqmb-jWXxY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Carl Herrera

Will OKC really go after him?

The Toronto pick is a nice trade asset, but is Cousins (a potential locker room powder keg) the best use for this asset? Remember, their reason for trading Harden was that they can't afford to pay him after his rookie deal expires. Well, Cousins will be in exact same contract posture as Harden in the upcoming offseason. If Cousins does work out as a player, can they afford to pay him?

If they are operating under a budget constraint, perhaps they are better off just using the pick themselves, or acquire someone less risky and less costly.

Also, OKC really doesn't have a history of taking on "questionable character guys."

Here's my point: I think teams will snoop around, but many teams (perhaps including the Rockets) will decide it's not worth risking too much for Cousins or that they don't want to risk him ****ing up their locker room.

11. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

12. tokenbk

tokenbk Member

Not just any agent, Dan Fegan.

13. AbrahamLincoln

FWIW earlier tonight I saw in my twitter feed Marc Stein was saying the Heat would be interested but would need help to swing the deal. Whats more interesting to me is that he hired Dwights agent Dan Fegan tonight so it makes me wonder if he is going to try and force his way out of SAC this time. Last time Cousins threw a fit I was sure he was on his way out of SAC and they fired Westphal and kept him. Should be interesting to watch this unfold.

14. robotom

robotom Member

...Great talent, going to destroy locker room chemistry...

Rockets are really rollin' with chemistry right now, I don't care about his upside, please don't ruin it.

15. AbrahamLincoln

yeaaaaaaaaa buddy. I think he's trying to get the heck out of there now. Even though I don't want Cousins on this team, if the cost is only a couple of rookies then I'd be okay with it. If it costs us any of our starting 5 I will not be too psyched.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The market for Cousins can't be great. Not only do you have to make a financial commitment to him really soon, but the Kings are expecting at least one valuable asset. That's a lot for a guy with such a horrible track record.

We gave up the farm for Harden because we knew what we were getting, a stud SG worth a max extension. Are the Rockets ready to give Cousins that big extension this summer? I highly doubt it. We'll pay for star quality, not simply the potential for star quality.

17. JPhil93

JPhil93 Member

This summer I wouldve gone nuts for Cousins. He could be the best pick and roll center in the league with our current backcourt. But ever since the Harden trade, I think the best and only sensible course of action is to sit and develop our current team. Cousins is a risk that could set this team back huge. On the current course we could be a contendor in 3-5 years. (3-5 years of exciting basketball at that!) Cousins could set us back another 3-5 years. I can be patient but Cousins is a boom or bust trade. I wouldnt be unhappy if i woke up tomorrow to find out we had traded for Cousins but I would be very nervous because if he doesnt turn out then its back to the draft and many more years of the 6-8 seed.

18. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Best case scenario is to keep all our assets and sign a legit big via free agency. Then again, Morey has already said that he would always entertain a trade for a star if one becomes available.

Question is, given Cousins talent + baggage, if he becomes available for trade, how much would you willing to pay? Don't expect the Kings to be taking low ball offers either. The kid's upside is too good to just give up on.

19. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Would give up Omar but nothing else.

20. just a word

just a word Member