1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeMarcus Cousins: Get 'er done Morey!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sooty, Jan 1, 2012.

?

Should the Rockets pursue DeMarcus Cousins?

1. Yes

538 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. No

237 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Best metric we have for determining if a man is missing shots or putting points on the board. You love Boogie Cousins so much you're going after the validity of advanced stats now? You swingin wild bro?

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

Cousins is a low-risk, high-reward player, imo. He's made some mistakes, but if he matures and develops, he can be a franchise player.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To show how offensive efficiency is unique to locations and situations. Many players simply need to find the right system. Countless examples of that, especially the inconsistencies of a guy that can barely drink. I hope someone will signature that bold part... :grin:

4. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Don't be dense. Asik is better than Cousin's on offense, right? :grin:

Stick to those guns, we will see how well they shoot. (Inefficiently)

5. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Who would you be willing to give up for Cousins?

6. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I posted his shot chart two pages ago, did you not see that?

He is inefficient at every range. That includes right next to the basket. His layup percentages are historically bad.

I don't care enough to do the BR player finder, but it would not surprise me if his shooting from that range is lowest among all starting frontcourt bigs. Or his case, fats.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Any of our power forwards, Delfino, contract filler, maybe take back a bad contract, 2nd round draft picks.

No to Lin, Parsons, Asik. Let Sacramento find somebody else to swindle if they don't like it, although I doubt there will be any takers.

8. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I literally showed you two pages ago that if you put the ball in Omer Asik's hands 3 feet from the basket, he is more likely to score with it than DeMarcus Cousins.

Which is pathetic, by the way. Because Omer Asik is many things, but an offensive-minded player he is not.

It sounds like this news of Cousins' awfulness is hitting you pretty hard. Maybe I can find an old Sacramento Bee article written 2 years ago that boasts about his "upside" and "how well he runs the floor." Anything to calm you down.

9. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

The Dr. Pepper machine in the Rockets' locker room, or the Gatorade machine, but not both.

10. torocan

torocan Member

Demarcus Cousins suspended indefinitely due to conduct detrimental to the team...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8...suspend-demarcus-cousins-indefinitely-conduct

Talented player, but sounds like a real headache. Westphal already lost his job trying to manage Cousins. And Keith Smart has been one of his biggest supporters and he's still having issues. Not to mention him being booted off the Olympic Select Team.

Not sure he's worth the hassle.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you watch him play cousins has actual offensive skills asik does not. I would trade anyone on the roster not named harden. They are all replaceable.

12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Agreed. Different player, different situations. But one can find countless players that have been inefficient at 20, 21, 22. Let's not forget about his HOF worthy rebounding statistics. This guy has had stretches of absurd dominance. Remember the 38 and 14 he put on Houston a year or so back?

#752 RudyTBag, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

? Right... ? :confused:

14. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Except that right now, it's true.

Omer Asik brings almost nothing to the table offensively. He scores strictly junk baskets off of other player's penetrations and passing. And that's fine. He can't do anything else, so he doesn't. He's taken 196 shots, and 157 of them came at the rim. He plays to his strengths and controls the boards on defense.

DeMarcus Cousins is actively hurting his team offensively. He has such a high usage rate and such an inefficient performance that it would be better if he strictly confined himself to finishing dump-offs from his teammates. He hasn't shown a ability to do anything else, and yet he keeps taking jumper after jumper(184 out of 338 attempts), despite being poor at it(29% shooting).

15. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

1 person likes this.
  16. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Has there been anything said that would make us believe that Rockets are trying to get him? We would be dope as hell with him and Harden.

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Well, maybe a system with Demarcus shooting jumpers is a bad idea? Maybe a new system with new players would help him reach his potential? Is it possible??? Low cost, low risk, high reward...

18. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

The "he's good in my NBA 2k13 association mode" theory of DeMarcus Cousin's ability has got nothing on the stats that show he can't make a layup.*

* If I had to guess, it probably has to do with his worse-than-just-a-guy-off-the-street 23 inch vertical, and his terrible fundamentals. I still see Cousins do that freaking "gather" move that most big men are disabused of in high school if not college. He will sometimes "collect himself" before he goes up, giving defenders ample time to react. It's Kendrick Perkins-level finishing. No thank you, do not want.

19. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

It's possible, but I don't think it's likely. He's already gotten into it with the only two coaches he's known in the NBA - how likely is it that the third one will get him to attack the basket when he gets the ball down low instead of taking a bad jumper? He's getting a lot of opportunities within ten feet of the basket, but he's settling for contested jumpers instead of pounding the ball into the post and getting a better shot, or drawing a foul.

He might turn it around and follow Zach Randolph's career path. It is more likely that he won't. Giving up anything other than junk for him would be foolish at this point.

20. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

But he can't make layups either? :confused:

Maybe he could just rebound and defend the pai....OH WAIT THEN HE WOULD BE OMER ASIK AT TWICE THE PRICE.