1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeMarcus Cousins: Get 'er done Morey!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sooty, Jan 1, 2012.

?

Should the Rockets pursue DeMarcus Cousins?

1. Yes

538 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. No

237 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cousins just needs Patterson by his side to keep him sane. :)

I love Chandler and Omer to death, but If you can get a 22 year old 6-11 guy with that kind of potential (He has already had a 22 PER season) you have to do it. His rebounding rates are ridiculous, comparable to Omer. If he is convinced to stop shooting 20 footers, his FG% will skyrocket.

The question is, do you give up Chandler or Omer? I don't think you can keep both...

1 person likes this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would not give up either of them.

Let's look at some (per 36 minutes) numbers:

Player A: 18.1 points, 10.8 rebounds, 2 blocks, 0.9 turnovers, .631 FG%, .677% true shooting percentage, 23.2 PER

Player B: 19.7 points, 11.3 rebounds, 0.7 blocks, 3.2 turnovers, .414 FG%, .482 true shooting percentage, 19.0 PER

Player A is Greg Smith. Player B is Demarcus Cousins.

Tell me again why we should give up core rotation pieces for this joker?

I've been saying it since he was drafted, Cousins' character issues would turn him into a bust. He's coasting on raw talent, he doesn't have the work ethic or the maturity to become a star player.

Forget this guy unless we're getting him for 10 cents on the dollar. No way is he worth any of our starters except Patterson/Morris.

3. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Maybe it's just me. I enjoy sports for many different reasons and winning is only one of them. Otherwise I'll be a Heat/OKC/Spurs fan.

4. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

This does not justify a response... I love Greg Smith, but the talent in question is not remotely comparable. I will leave it at that. Nice sample size, btw.

(I would love to see a Greg Smith/Demarcus Cousins front court...)

5. Rocketman03

Rocketman03 Member

Horrible, turrible idea to try and get that whiny, immature little girl. Wayy too much dram. Just do some research on him. I could care less if he has game. It takes much more than that to be an All Start.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

You only think that because Cousins was drafted 5th overall and Greg Smith was undrafted. If those positions were reversed you wouldn't even give Cousins the time of day.

You want to talk about sample size? How about 168 games of Cousins at 30 minutes per game and his career line is BARELY any better than the one I quoted above? He has a career .436 FG% and .490 TS%. Jesus christ, how can you be that inefficent when you get so many shots around the rim? If he has so much talent, why hasn't it showed up on the court in 2+ seasons as a starter?

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Let's put it another way.

Demarcus Cousins has never had a season over .500 TS%.

Omer Asik has never had a season below .500 TS%.

Meaning Demarcus Cousins, who is supposedly so much more talented on offense than Asik, has never had a more efficient offensive season than any of Omer's.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Winning could go a long way in changing someones attitude.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Oooo..that would be nice!:eek:

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You are making good points, but:

Omer= 27

Cousins= 22

Time.

11. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Not to mention majority of our guys are high character and hard workers that will rub off on him.(See: PatPat and Cuz at Kentucky)

Plus, if we don't trade Jones, we could have 3 Kentucky boys.(Jones, Cuz, Pat.)

12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

If all Demarcus Cousins was asked to do was catch and finish, like Greg Smith and Omer Asik, he would have an 80 FG%. The fact is that he is the number 1 option on a horrible team, so defenses load up on him. I would like to see Greg and Omer deal with that... :grin:

In fact, 45% from the field isn't so bad when you consider all the moves and double moves Cousins has to do just to get an open look in the King's offense.

13. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Come on per 36 numbers are horrible indicators for bench players

14. rolyat93

Wake me up when Greg Smith is being focused on half as much by a Defense as Cousins is.

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Wake me up when Demarcus is getting spoon fed layups from Lin and Harden, in a Rockets jersey! :)

1 person likes this.
  16. rolyat93

I bet Morey gets him in the next week.;)

1 person likes this.
  17. spysta

spysta Member

If you have the opportunity to get cousins and still keep harden lin and asik you make the trade...............No questions asked

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

The point is that the gap between where Cousins is and where he needs to be is so huge that even though your arguments are valid in a sense, it just doesn't matter.

How often do guys increase their efficiency as much as we would be asking Cousins to do? Especially when they have no work ethic and the maturity of a 12 year old boy?

Yes, fine, he's being focused on more defensively than Greg Smith. He's younger than Omer Asik. Yet even still, he's not going to see a .50-.100 boost to his TS% just by moving to the Rockets, and that's why he needs just to have the efficiency of a typical 6'11" big man.

This guy is a joke. If he had strong makeup then I might be more inclined to trade for him on potential, but I'm not going to bank big money on a guy developing who doesn't want to develop and thinks he's already all-world when he's barely more than a scrub as currently stands.

The more I think about Cousins the less I want to give up anything for him.

19. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

45% from the field is pretty bad for a center regardless of circumstance. It would also be DeMarcus Cousin's career high. He also doesn't get the free throw line as much as a center with his usage should. He's very inefficient offensively.

And that's not even beginning to compare Asik's defensive value with Cousin's lack thereof. Or that Cousins is currently shooting 100% in "Altercations with his Coaches"

20. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Send Chandler Parsons & Donatas Motiejunas

PG Lin
    SG Harden
    SF Morris/Jones
    PF Cousins
    C Asik

That is a huge starting line up we would make noise this year. Plus have money to spend on FAs.