1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NRA: "Video Games are to blame"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Dec 22, 2012.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I was honestly expecting something a bit better from the NRA, I think they actually ****ed themselves over by being so rigid.

Hirrarious.

2. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

LOL at the irony

3. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

something funny I noticed on Fox today:

All the other news networks were covering the NRA mess today, and a news network that was obsessed with a birth certificate and other ridiculous things chose to ignore it for the most part.
    What I couldn't understand was the reason for playing a documentary about the revolution and Washington until every 2 secs there was a state militiaman firing a musket against the redcoats.

Not so subtle?

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if they wanted to keep it real, they wouldn't use guns
    they would use hadokens

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0kDDB4D6X6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    gotcha b****!

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I love violent video games. GTA San Andreas is amongst my 5 favorite games of all-time. That said, I do think violent video games like that do have negative impacts on the mentally ill. Though, it is hard to kill someone with a video game. If you snapped the disc in half and slit someone's throat with it, I suppose it would be possible, or to develop a way to send it at such a high speed velocity that it could be deadly like a bullet.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What morons. Kids in Canada, Australia and Britiain play the same video games.

I guess we could do some of them stinking numbers but they don't matter apparently.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I'm not familar with the Second Amendment Foundation. I assume it is some quasi religious, hence immune to reason, group that literally worships their version of the Second Amendment.

I would agree that keeping the gun issue immune to reason and post 18th Century modern reality is the only way to go if you like the status quo.

10. Svpernaut

God forbid you take 30 seconds and read their mission statement rather than openly bashing them then ignorantly letting people know you didn't actually investigate before commenting.

They defend gun owners and fight for gun owner rights at the local, state and national level. They are not a lobbyist group, they fight with the constitution rather than money.

11. VanityHalfBlack

My goodness, you can blame almost anything nowadays.. It's never your own fault, it always has to stem from some other bullsh!t excuse whether it's game/movies/music/internet.... I guess I can blame my violent behavior on the guy who works at starbucks who never gets my order right??? Because I do tend to be extremely angry whenever I leave that Starbucks... So I'm putting the blame on Starbucks for my behavior...

12. Svpernaut

This is an age issue, and just ignorance of technology. I've asked many people over the age of 50 (and many women), and nearly all of them say violence in TV, movies and video games are partly to blame.

This is the same argument we had in the 1980s with explicit lyrics and Tipper Gore. Parents and elders don't like it, so it must be bad. Just look at the broad generalizations the women say in this video, which pretty much sums it up... and these women clearly aren't members of the NRA.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/06Lw7xa6lHU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Our current and previous generations grew up on video games and still play video games. This argument, like the music argument will die out as the people who didn't grow up with it die out.

13. Zergling

Zergling Member

You could argue that video games actually serve as a benefit. Instead of taking your frustration out on real people, you can let off some steam playing Call of Duty and shooting AI and people online.

14. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I cannot wait for GTA5!

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Well, not exactly... the Second Amendment Foundation shares staff with the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. They have an interlocking directorate (eg Gottlieb is Executive Director of one and Chairmen of the other). Their offices are side-by-side. While SAF focuses on education, CCRKBA has a paid lobbyist and has a PAC called Right to Keep and Bear Arms Political Victory Fund.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

of course video games glorify violence

but that doesn't mean they are responsible for this, no more than guns are

17. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Splatterhouse? Ok... What year is this?

In before KMFDM reference.

18. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Try harder.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Video games reduce violence by giving kids (and adults, let's not forget we have two generations of adults now who grew up playing video games) an outlet for stress relief that harms *no one at all*.

[​IMG]

#19 DonnyMost, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

yea... if the killer couldn't get access to the assault weapon he would have thrown the game cartridges at those kids...