1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help me fill out my liquor cabinet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yonkers, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Mezcal

1 person likes this.
  2. what

what Member

Zyr Vodka.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

everclear

4. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Angostura Bitters are one of the most popular bitters, an essential ingredient in many classic cocktails such as an Old Fashioned or a Manhattan. The old cocktail recipes usually called for 4 elements, a spirit, a sweet, a bitter, and water. It adds a very unique flavor to your cocktails, and really helps balance out any drink that uses simple syrup.

For your liquor cabinet, your proposed additions are definitely in the right wheelhouse; you need a white rum, a bourbon and a gin. I'm a Bombay Sapphire loyalist for the gin, and if you're looking to get something a bit more exotic, I'd recommend Koloa Kaua'i white rum; this is a rum made from local sugarcane in one of the Hawaiian islands, it's extremely mild, and pairs really well with fruit juices. The bottle is also pretty cool looking, with a map of the islands on the seal.

http://www.melandrose.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=91592

As a Bourbon fanatic, I personally don't like anything about Maker's Mark except the bottle. I think it's horribly overpriced and lacks a good finish. I think that if you're looking for a wheated bourbon you can't beat Buffalo Trace for the quality and the price, if you want to go a level up, Eagle Rare has a neat bottle and is slightly smoother. Knob Creek and Wild Turkey will probably a bit better for mixing since they're less sweet, and can be balanced out more easily.

I'd definitely recommend a bottle of Vermouth for your fridge for martinis, and a bottle of grenadine for flavoring and color, when simple syrup just isn't enough.

If you're having ladies over, or people who don't like to drink, I'd recommend getting a bottle of Firefly, sweet tea vodka is almost always a winner for people who don't like to taste any alcohol in their drinks. I like to mix it with a bit of Wild Turkey American Honey as someone stated before, with a little splash of lemon juice and some rocks it's like the best Arnold Palmer you've ever had, except it's in the neighborhood of 30% abv. A few of these during the spring and you'll be feeling VERY good.

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=29531

Good luck! I definitely envy anyone who is building up a liquor cabinet.

1 person likes this.
  5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

stock with fresh limes, lemons and at least an orange or two when planning events... mixers don't taste as good as the real thing....

also yes to the private stock rum... and the scotch... maybe get a cheap whiskey for people not worthy like a good bottle of jameson...

1 person likes this.
  6. Precision340

Precision340 Member

E&J Brandy
    Cordon Bleu
    White Lightning

1 person likes this.
  7. Pringles

Pringles Member

yikes :eek:

8. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

This. It's always good to have some incase your company is feeling froggy.

9. The Law

The Law Member

Patrón
    Jäger
    Southern Comfort
    Smirnoff Black Pepper Vodka
    A Bloody Mary mix of your preference.

1 person likes this.
  10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Throw out the Grey Goose and replace with Shustoff (they sell it at Spec's).

Hendrick's Gin is a must.

For Tequila my favorite brand is Herradura.

1 person likes this.
  11. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

Marguerite mix and salt. In a party, there's always some chick that wants one.

1 person likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The Maker's Mark would satisfy those interested in Jack Daniels (which would the cheaper option) and Knob Creek (my favorite, a bit cheaper than Maker's Mark, btw).

1 person likes this.
  13. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

In addition to the other mixers mentioned I make flavored simple syrups, I keep pineapple juice (or pieces of fresh pineapple to juice and to use for garnishes) and coco loco on hand for emergency Pina Coladas and I like to stock Ruby Red Grapefruit, kumquats, lychees, olives, honey, etc.
    However, I think cocktail parties work out best when you have a small selection of cocktails in mind, one or two nice sweet cocktails and one or two others. That way you can make a syrup or two that is particular to the drink such as a strong ginger syrup for diablos or prep nice garnishes and really know the drinks you are going to prepare.
    Our friend has a great blog about this:
    http://stayathomecocktails.blogspot.com

1 person likes this.
  14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Wow. Those would never last long in my house. My son loves fruits and those would be gone long before any parties. Hehe. But it sure sounds like I would love to come to your house for a drink.

15. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

For manly men, I agree. But when was the last time you ever saw a girl drink a single malt?

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

campari
    pernod
    limoncello
    martini rosso

17. mclawson

mclawson Member

Skip the Bombay Sapphire Gin. As others have mentioned, go with Hendrick's and also pick up Junipero. Those are both far superior to Bombay. I alternate between the two.

18. Garner

Garner Member

Basil Hayden.

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I know plenty of British girls who do. Plenty of them drink beer as well.

#39 Deji McGever, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  20. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Note to self: start hanging out with Brit girls.