1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LCII, Nov 16, 2012.

1. VanityHalfBlack

Again, what makes you think D12 wants to go to Houston???

2. sidestep

sidestep Member

Yes, it's the win that matters, but wins this season are not as important as wins next season or the year that the Rox get enough pieces to be darkhorse contenders.

It's ultimately those future wins that truly matter, and to achieve that, player development has to be considered in the long term. TD is not part of the long term picture here. Lin is so green; he absolutely needs more experience. And the PG role, more than what TD brings to the table, needs game time to get polished and learn how to play with teammates.

A year from now, you won't care who won this game, and might not even remember. But looking back, you will ask whether the young players on this team were being developed properly and getting the experience they need to take it to the next level.

1 person likes this.
  3. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

would rep if i could...nice pts.

4. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Why can't it be both? Lin is still averaging over 30mins per game while still trying to win. Look on the bright side, at least he's not being treated like Jimmer Fredette.

5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Sidestep u should be banned there's no better way for young players to develop then to get into the playoffs and experience that post season. All our players are young so each pne of them needs to be developed. the cream of the crop always rises. Jermey Lin is not playing horrible but he's not great by any means u can't shoot 39% and expect to be on the court in crunch time period. You want to create a losing culture so Lin can play? Cause I can assure nobody in the rockets org. Is down with that.

6. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Damn Yao. That's harsh. How's China treating you?

7. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

They're trying to develop Harden's iso hero ball game at the expense of Lin's PG development.

Something's got to give.

8. sidestep

sidestep Member

It's not Lin's playing time in this particular game or his average PT that is an issue, but the regular benching of Lin during the final stretch. He didn't play a single minute in the 4th quarter, and it's not the first game he didn't see the floor during crunch time.

Learning to close out games is absolutely vital for young players. The team has had obvious trouble closing out games: we've lost every single overtime game this season. What's at stake is not so much the PT, but minutes that matter.

If this were the beginning of the season, then there's nothing to say; just be patient. But 20 games in, I really don't see any sign that the coaches are smart enough to figure out the rotations in a way that both maximizes player development and makes the team competitive. I would say the wins are coming despite the coaching.

9. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

you dont win in this league with superstar pg's, or wannabe superstar pg's... you need serviceable pg's(lowry/gogi) who can dribble without getting picked at half court and can knock down an open jumper.. i would like to surround harden and a future scoring post threat with knockdown shooters..

10. Luca

Luca Member

I thought the Roxx are in the building mode and this is the year to develop the young players for the long term plan. If you don't give Lin time during crunch time then how is going to learn and improve? Last year lin played incredibly well during crunch time and even when Woodson took over he was still using him as such. Now no one wants to create a loosing culture unless you think that the Roxx will win the 2013 championship which i highly doubt.

11. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

you still crying about dragic and lowry??? Damn so annoying!! let it go!!!

12. lfw

lfw Rookie

This is not choosing Douglas over Lin. This is choosing Harden over Lin. They want Harden with the ball at the end of games and they want him to be successful at it so they want the floor spread as much as possible. This means getting your best 3 point shooters on the floor. This is putting your $80 mil investment in the best possible position to succeed. Lin unfortunately does to much of the same things as Harden but not as well and them both being ball dominant guards you don't need 2 of them on the court.

Lin better start shooting 3's better to get respect from defenses to go out and guard him or Douglas is going to have to fall into a shooting funk if Lin doesn't want to continue losing opportunities to play at the end of games.

1 person likes this.
  13. sidestep

sidestep Member

I should be banned for what? LOL. Where did I say that a losing culture should be created so Lin can play? The stinkers on this board love to put things in others' mouths then make a big indignant fuss about how this board is ruined, when all along the crap is originally from your own mouth.

"A losing culture so Lin can play " -- that's also just an odd thing to say, since the assumption is that putting Lin in instead of TD would lose games. Do you really think that TD has a bigger impact than Lin in getting wins? That's actually a serious question.

14. jjin15

jjin15 Member

I don't think he imagined the turmoil in LA being like this, and Houston has another option in Harden, underrated star in CParsons.
    He had only a couple of options before LA.
    Houston, Orlando, LA, Nets.
    I know its highly unlikely lol.:grin:, but who saw the Harden pick up coming .

15. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

EAD.. and no dumbass, its about serviceable point guards, using those guys as comparison.. cant wait till we get rid of this wannabe superstar jeremy lin. we need a servicable pg who can play within the system and isnt a liability dribbling the ball up court..

16. PeppermintCandy

I doubt Lin wannabe a superstar. But his fans won't settle for anything less than Linsanity 2.0.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Why the hell do people keep thinking D12 wants to come the Houston. He has stated very clearly that he DOES NOT WANT TO COME TO HOUSTON. Repeat that to yourself a hundred times. "Dwight Howard does not want to come to Houston and play for the Rockets." FFS! Why do people keep insisting we trade for a diva who has no desire to be here?

18. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

If things don't work out in LA maybe he'll change his mind? Not many teams can take him on. And not many other stars, if any, want to play in Houston. If he's the only one willing to come, why say no?

19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Because he is NOT WILLING? :confused: Not sure how people fail to comprehend this key point, a simple point that has not changed since we WERE willing to take him on as a rental. Has he changed his mind yet? No he has not. Has he at any point, no matter how bad things were in Orlando, ever changed his mind about wanting to come to Houston? No he has not. He is going to play out his contract and finally play for the team HE wants to play for.

20. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

When the team is rebuilding, I would rather see player development over win at any cost.

That being said I dont mind seeing Lin on the bench. He is a great guy but I dont see him fitting in. I am sure people have mentioned it before but Lin needs the ball to be effective. I rather see Harden have the ball in his hands and see him develop his game. Hate to sound mean but Harden is the future of the team. Lin is/was a stopgap. He came in before Harden when the team was still looking for a direction.

Lin will become a great player but I dont see it happening on this team. Rockets and Lin will be better off parting ways. The problem is I dont see it happening this year.