1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Expertise request: oil well drilling / hydrofracking

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yipengzhao, Dec 4, 2012.

1. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

I have a favor to ask. Does anyone here have experience in the oil well drilling / hydraulic fracking industry? Particularly with regards to the processes and equipment used in the industry. I'd really like to learn a bit about this market, and could think of no better place to ask than a Houston based BBS. For example, anyone who works at a drilling company, or a supply house to the industry, or an equipment rental company, etc. If anyone can spare 15 minutes to share their expertise on the phone please PM me, I'd greatly appreciate it. We can talk about the Rockets too. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Drilling and hydraulic fracturing are two different areas. I can point you in the right direction if you're looking for an engineering point of view as opposed to market information.

A great textbook that gives you everything you need to know is "Applied Drilling Engineering" by Bourgoyne, Millheim, Chenevert & Young. It tells you everything about every aspect of drilling.

Fracturing is a different beast. Presently fracturing is becoming popular for all these shale plays that have been found. The fashion is to drill horizontal wells and have vertical fractures to improve oil conductivity into the well since shales are such tight rocks. Traditionally fracturing is one method to improve injectivity/productivity in vertical wells.

1 person likes this.
  3. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Thanks for your insight.

I have general interest in the area but a specific focus as well. I'd like to learn more about pumps (both positive displacement and centrifugal) that are used to pump water, mud, slurries, etc. in this market.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Don't tell him anything. It's a Texas national secret.

We'll tell what you need and how much it costs. Just mail us a blank check.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Fracking is bad, brah.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dZe1AeH0Qz8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Pumps fall outside my knowledge base unfortunately. Sounds like you should just call up one of the service companies and talk to a salesman. Have fun!

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

hurts the water supply...

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Perhaps its more elementary than you are looking for but the Museum of Natural Science has a kick ass exhibit sponsored by one of the big oil companies, I think Chevron. If you are not in the industry, it is extremely informative as they walk through the whole process from exploration to drilling to midstream processes such as cracking, etc. It is very well done.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

not an expert but in a recent conversation i learned that the risk in fracking is rock collasping causing instability under the earth. The drilling exhibit sounds awesome, might check it out sometime this week.

10. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Frack so hard... environmentalists can't find me.