1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bang Away Yao... "No High Post for You!!!"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CB4ever, Feb 5, 2003.

1. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

You know, I'm not even going to mention how interesting it was to watch the lowly Cavs get Big Z (aka Euro-Yao) touches in his comfort zone. Not going to admire how Ricky Davis, whose basketball IQ isn't what gets him chicks, can get 10 assists - a fair number off the PNR, swung simply to a spotted up (surprise!) Mirror-Yao. Not going to mention my reaction when Big-White-Yao ripped the cords on those 16 footers ("So easy...").

Nope, not going to say anything about that. I'll accept that these plays are "hard" and playing with a skilled big man is a "process" and sometimes dribbling, dribbling, dribbling can be "hypnotic" and "fun". No, for now I'll just appreciate Real Yao's spot up touch every 5 games or so when he's passed the ball off a broken play. C'mon, you know the feeling. You think, "Wow, big man's got a J." Think back, it's been a few games now.

This thread isn't about that.

We want Our Yao to bang away. Bang away, Yao. What, you're tired? Double teamed? So what, where's your second, third and fourth wind? In Chinese... uh, that means... ah, I don't know... just bang us into the playoffs, that's all you need to know.

But what you say? You make pretty plays free throw line extended - skip pass to MO (dunk), swing to the corners for 3, even shoot the J??? - whoa, slow down there big boy. What, you think we do things here the easy way? PNR Jumpers, high post play... that's crazy talk. Get back down there, point your ass at the basket, and get dirty.

Bang away, Yao. And oh yeah, eat more meat.

2. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Im really suprised more people have not noticed this. Yao has a real good face up game but the only way he is utilized is with his back to the basket. You know, the very few times Yao's defender sags off him and dares him to shoot it, Yao seems set on passing the ball back to the guard, like its a designed play without the option for him to shoot. The coach needs to make it clear to Yao that its ok to shoot face up jumpers from the peremiter(like Webber, Divac, Igauskas, Wallace ect.). The back to the basket on the low block is getting old and predicatble. Mix it up Rudy!

3. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

MIX IT UP RUDY?!?!?

God...he will never change how he coaches.

And Yao...for real.

He never looks to shoot. When he's far from the basket........

he just looks to pass to someone.

Not good...when Garnett notices and just steals the ball away from him.

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

A 22 year old 7'5" rookie center who's been in this country for 4 months is our best passer.

Unbelievable.

5. carayip

carayip Member

Also our most mature player. Our most clutch player.

Others players don't feel ashamed, do they? :eek:

6. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

Yao is automatic if he's allowed to shoot 15-18 ft face-up jumpers. He made alot of those during the World Championships.

7. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

This is one of the best analysis of what's wrong with Rudy's game plan and Yao's development.

We were so concerned that Yao would be a 7'5" jump shooter alal Wang ZhiZhi. Could he bang. Will he get outmuscled. Will he have the guts to take the punishment.

He's proven capable of all those things but that's not his strength.

He can bang, get rebounds, fight for position and you'll never see him quit. Sometimes he'll get overrun but you never see him at least not make an effort.

But why in the world do you limit his skills when he has proven there is a finesse game that we can exploit.

He is deadly with the face up jumper from the top of the line. How many times have we seen that shot?

Why must he fight for perfect position in order to receive the ball.

Instead of telling Yao to just go down low, why don't we utilize all his skills, set picks for him instead of putting him in a corner where he's forced to take a fadeway jump shot.

It's ridiculous beyond belief that we can't set screens, move him around the paint, have the guards actually pass it back when Yao hits the cutter.

I find it amazing this coaching staff can understand so little about their players' strengths and weaknesses and the inability to make adjustments.

8. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Don't you know that he is supposed to be the next Hakeem? He is supposed to fit into the exact same shoes, and do the exact same plays. This way, we can save ink and paper, not having to draw up new plays. We can save a lot of time as well. :rolleyes:

Seriously, Good post! I'm with ya!

9. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Noticed this long time ago TS. Why should we bother pointing it out when obviously Rudy's too dumb to listen?

10. walterw

walterw Member

I don't think Rudy's strategy of using Yao is too bad, really.
    If we feed the ball to Yao on every possession, heavily relying on him, two things are gonna to happen:
    1. Yao gets burned by the heavy work load.
    2. Others' game gets diminished and they all have pride.

But unfortunately , if Yao is utilized like Cao is, our team can't seem to be able to get the job done, which forces Rudy to
    get the ball inside to Yao. It isn't easy to a NBA head coach.

11. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Tell me what's gonna wear Yao out more, having him fight for postion down low all the time and never getting the ball or finding him of the PNR?

12. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Yeah.....a lot of us have noticed and have been praying for a variety to Yao's game instead of forcing him to play a "power" game the entire time.
    I do like it when Yao receives the ball just outside the inside semi-circle(offensive charge area) for a quick and easy hook shot.

Maybe it's a matter of actually having a Motion offense once the ball is passed into the post instead of 1 guy SOMETIMES cutting towards the basket while everyone else just stands still.

13. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

How do you get burned out shooting a 15 foot jumper? How do you get burned out coming off a pick and taking the shot? How do you get burned out rolling to the basket and recieving a pass 2 feet away from the hole?

You don't get burned out facing the bucket. You get burned out when your job is to constantly go down low and wrestle for position.

14. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

Before Yao gets here, Rudy T said in one of the interview that he would never put Yao in a position to makes it tough for Yao to success but after watching 48 Rockets games. Rudy T seems to contradict himself and this post from CB4ever shows his contradiction.

15. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

AND......

Yao hasn't missed any jumpers yet...maybe one! WHO KNOWS??? He's always left open from behind the arc. What if he just took one and made it? That would make him an all around player. I still think we need to give it to him EACH AND EVERY SINGLE TIME on offense.

Or at least every other time. He and Taylor should switch turns...

They both should be taking 20 shots per game.

Francis and Mobley should be taking less than 20...but more than 15. :)

Their shots should be coming off of passes... or once in a while...they can do their iso stuff.

16. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

good post guys. i agree with all that you have said.

As I said before, I think it is time for the Rox team to try to learn to play with Yao instead of Yao trying to play the style of the Rox.

Our style never got us anywhere. We have seen glimpses of what Yao can do. If we plan on making the playoffs, we need to utilize him now!

17. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

Thanks for the positive feedback, it helps out my ebay rating.

3 things -

1) Copy the Cavs!! ;)
    I'm not too frustrated about the Cavs loss (and every other gut wrenching crash-and-burn :p). Despite my tone before, this season represents a chance to grow and learn each other. We can't lose sight of that. However, watching that game I felt we could actually learn something from the Cavs :eek:. They are similar to us, a team where the guards dominate the ball (Wagner and Davis) and a big skilled guy is their inside presence. What are they worse at? Pretty much everything – major identity issues, matador D, guard shot selection to make Mobley look conservative, etc. But what did they do better? Got Euro-Yao the ball in varied and comfortable positions. How easy did Big Z's numbers (20 pts, 17 shots) come? How many wins would the Rockets have if Big Tired Yao got those exact same 17 looks consistently? Again, a team run by Ricky Davis and Juanny Wagner has figured it out...

2) Yao're a High Post Tease
    Does this sound familiar, it's happened a few times this year. 4th quarter Cavs game is most recent: The play has broken down, Yao gets visibly fed up (or is that me) with the slowness of thinking going on, so he flashes up top from the weakside and gets the ball. From there I’ve seen him: A) Throw urgent, sweeeet bounce passes to both EG and MO (dunk) under the basket B) Whip passes into the deep corners for open 3’s and C) Shoot a consistent J. Bam! High post teasers with more vision and finesse than the Admiral ever had. Bill Walton would have a heart attack covering our games.

3)To quote… myself
    Might be taken the wrong way. I apologize. ;)

18. Fichte

Fichte Member

Excellent post, CB4. :D

Sounds like it's time to call for Rudy's head religiously.

~Radical Subjectivity~

19. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

A statement that should get you tarred and feathered but actually makes a lot of sense...wonderful post CB4ever.

I also think the Rockets should run more pick and roll where they get Yao a nice and clean 10-12 footer. I always thought Rudy said he'd love to run pick and rolls instead of the isos...

20. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

I wish Rox coaching staff could be as creative as some of the posters here. That's two nights in a row that Rudy got outcoached. :(

I really like CB4ever's proposal of a more diversified game from Yao on the offensive end. It's really not a bad idea to have Yao taking some Js from 15 to 18 ft out. He couldn't do any worse than what we have out there now.

Besides, Yao is also a much better passer than either one of our guards. Hmmm, has any center ever led his team in assists? :D