1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Exercising patience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by valorita, Nov 3, 2012.

1. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Harden had 2 awesome games and now you guys think he is the second coming of MJ? Unbelievable. Everybody is "expendible sans Harden"????? WTF??? He hasn't proven he can be a superstar player night in and night out and he is a TO machine. He's trying so desperately to prove he is a superstar player and that is why he fails. Maybe in a couple years he may develop into a superstar player or maybe he never will. Time will only tell. But please for the love of God, quit jumping the gun.

2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

3. dje243

dje243 Member

I agree, but I don't think Asik is expendable. Unless you have a crack at a top 5 true center.

4. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Lin/Asik/Morris for Cousins
    Picks, Motie for PG upgrade

Cousins
    Pat/Jones
    Parsons
    Harden
    PG upgrade

[crazy face]

5. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Good thread. Thanks for voicing a little reason.

I am with you in that I would hate to see the Rockets pick up some "good" talent now that will make them better but not great. Moves should only be made that can either make this team a contender, or set it up to do so in the future. The former option does not sem to be even remotely possible.

Talent has to be coordinated so that a sizable core can reach its peak at the same time.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dream bigger. Someone young, established and still brimming with potential: Blake Griffin

When CP3 walks next season, and Griffin flips - Sterling will do what Sterling always does, **** it up for the Clips. I am sure Morey could take advantage of this meathead.

Griffin could be Amare (w/better D) to Harden/Lin's Nash. Or better yet, the next Karl Malone.

7. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Lin and Griffin like each other and had good chemistry in the Sophomore game last season; Griffin would also fit well next to Asik.

8. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

we dont need no upgrade- look at us...we're 7-8 and were it not for the 2 OT unlucky losses and referee steal against miami we would now be the 4th team in the west..and theses guys just started to play together and are showing the signs of a drastic improvement almost game in game out.......:eek::eek::eek:

9. AbrahamLincoln

Yea true but we also played the Pistons twice. The next 10 games are pretty tough. Lakers, Spurs twice, Mavs...and we may have to play them without Parsons. I prefer to watch our young guys play out the season but Morey is bound to trade off some pieces around the deadline.

10. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

so what? they are a good team and will defeat many teams.... they already have 5 wins...

they won over CELTICS AND SIXERS by 20 points margin... they won over SUNS by 40...yeah thats 40 points baby!!!

stop belittling our sucesses....:grin:

11. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

At the moment our depth in the backcourt is my biggest concern.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't agree with the people saying we should give up Parsons. He's the PERFECT fit next to Harden at the wing, especially if the improvement to his three point shot is legitimate. I would rather keep Parsons and use our cap space to get a #2 option on offense in free agency.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

LOL

He might be the best SG in the NBA right now and he's DEFINITELY in the top 3.

If you think he's only had two good games in this young season, you're an idiot. He's had seven games over 20 game score. He's only had three games where he scored less than 20 points not including the flu game.

14. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Patience is right - and we need to be very humble as well. We've got the first piece, which is the most difficult thing to do - now getting the second piece isn't that much easier. When a top 20 player gets available, there are around 30 teams trying to get him, especially if he is young. We got Harden because we had the best assets available and because we got lucky. But no we don't have that many assets left. There will have to be a perfect storm for us to become a contender.

That's why you can't say: we need to only go after the very best. There is about a 3% chance we get the very best when they become available. We need to gamble on guys that have the potential to become the very best. And if we can't get either, we need to get more assets in great contracts and draft picks.

So, if Morey signs Josh Smith to a max contract that only means he is gambling on him becoming a superstar with the right coaching (really most of his mistakes are mental). We can't wait on Love, Aldridge or somebody else, because we have next to no chance to get them. So gamble on guys like Smith or on very young players with huge upside that disappointed so far.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

You talk about patience but then your solution is to give Josh Smith a max contract, wait what? How's that being patient? lol

Harden will peak at age 28, we got 5 years to wait for a legit superstar to fall on our lap.

16. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Agree. We have to wait to the next big opportunity. When you see the picture Paul will always play with the Clippers, Aldridge is not on the move, Cousins is to talent to trade him. But all that words suddenly change. And we have to take this opportunity.
    We aren’t playoff contender, so please play the young guys, and if is some star potential there, especially in Dmo, Morris or Terrence Jones. And Lin too. Is in Lin some star potential or we need to upgrade the position?
    Make good moves before the trade deadline; get some picks using the cap space.
    And the next year with a good pick and a lot of young players the opportunities will come.
    I prefer a long PF (Aldridge will be great). Al Jefferson and Millsap are fool gold. Millsap will is a short PF and Hollinger always remind us, the stat that says, that short PF decline fast with the age.

17. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

No, you misunderstand me. I don`t mean we should give Smith a max contract. I just tried to explain, that Morey might decide that gamble is worth taking.

We can`t wait for Love, Aldridge or anyone else like them - because there is only a very small chance that we can get them. What I am saying is: stay patience (so don`t expect being a contender anytime soon) and be humble (it is ok not to get the biggest stars - with the way the NBA is we have almost no chance to get them). We need to be ready to take gambles - so players that have the upside to develop into a true star. What that means is: don`t go after older or real injury ridden players, that are past their prime.

The only reason I bring up Smith: he has star talent and is underachieving because of his low BB-IQ. That is a gamble - he is still only 26, so maybe it is a gamble worth taking. I don`t particularly like the odds, but at least we`d have a player with the potential.

Players like Love either stay with their teams or go to one of the big market teams (no, as much as you`d all like to think so - Houston is not a big market team. Houston is second tier behind NY, LA, Mia, Bos, Chi). People saying the time of LA ends in about two years - I´m saying they will be major players in FA in 2 years.

So common sense says: we can`t develop into a true contender, because true contenders need a top 5, a top 20 and a top 40 player to win - and those guys are almost unattainable for a team like Houston. So we gamble - and stay patient.

18. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Rondo, Harden, Durant, Ibaka, Perkins?! :eek:

Wow, that would be crazy. They would be so good...

Btw, I completely agree on Westbrook. In terms of pure talent and potential, there isn't another PG I would take over him in the entire league, but Rondo would have been a perfect fit on paper.

19. laserguy183

laserguy183 Member

Actually we should tank, draft shabazz or zeller and then trade him with a few more assets for love/lma and maybe a few vets.

20. FearTheBeardJH

Rondo is an offensive liability, the least efficient starting PG in the NBA two years in a row(Lin might be worse than him this year). He would single handedly bring the best offense in the NBA out of top 5 in offensive efficiency. Unless he would start making freethrows and taking wide open layups instead of passing for a 17ft jumpshot which is highly unlikely.