1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Too many NBA games and poor scheduling

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sugrlndkid, Nov 30, 2012.

?

How many games should be played in the NBA?

1. Keep 82 games, with the same scheduling

24 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Keep 82 games, with no back to backs

27 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. between 60-70 games

45 vote(s)
    40.2%
  4. less than 60 games

16 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I hate it more when my Rockets lose...especially b/c of injuries...

And as a fan of the NBA...you should have a game every night...and put up marquee matchups on television...but that doesnt mean i have to watch the Heat play Monday, Lakers play Tuesday, Heat play Wenesday and Thursday, and the Knicks play Friday thru sunday on National TV

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

lol...anger issues...no...im just sick and tired of seeing quality players get injured and have their careers really affected by it...There is no longer suspense about games...I love the fact we can trash talk before games for the NFL...that makes it fun...and then if i have to eat crow...i will...but you cant do that with the NBA..bc....all that matters is getting to the playoffs...but that shhouldnt be the case...sure its important to be the last one standing...but teams now days dont have fun doing it...they lack competitive fire...and substance...perhaps...less games and more breaks will help a lot more.. somewhere between 60-70 games...i think is acceptable...by most

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I hate it more when I don't get to watch the Rockets. Summer is too damn long with out basketball, that's why I watch summer league and old games on NBA TV. I watch other teams when the Rockets are on, but damn it I want my Rocket and I want my damn 82 games and not one game less, but I will gladdly take more. Every single true Rockets and NBA fan feels the exact same way. There are no exceptions period. If you don't feel the same way you are just a casual fan.

4. crash5179

It was mostly toung n cheek. ;) I ain't really mad.

Just don't take away my damn games!!!! Damn it!!

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The poll above disagrees with u...I for one love basketball...but how are players getting better...you have to wait for the next offseason to see progress in players...and thats garbage...a coaches value has really come down to being able to keep stars healthy long enough to get to the money round...and thats garbage..thats not basketball...

ie. Take Marcus Morris...he spent the entire offseason improving his game...But Mchale couldve seen more use for him last year...that couldve happened...Morris didnt magically decide to be a nice guy just this summer...its because he had time to improve on something his coach asked him to ... but what if players can do that during the regular season...imagine the productivity...i for one think the Dleague idea is garbage...if ur on an NBA team...you deserve to be there...

You think that the Rockets wouldve lost 6 games like that if they had better rest...practice really does help...

6. crash5179

I want good things for the players but I'm basically a selfish basketball fan that is more worried about watching my basketball than players. Players have been playing 82 games for decades and I have been enjoying basketball since the 70s. My teams have won NBA Championships and my teams have sucked. Injuries are just apart of the game. I want all 82 games and then some post season games.

7. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

NBA should change how they schedule games. Look at any teams schedule. Teams play 3/4 games a week. For most teams that's 3/4 games in 6 days because Thursday are blocked because of the deal the NBA made with TNT. If they allowed other teams to play on that day then there would be less back to backs.

That should be the easy option to dealing with the problem.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The schedule in the NFL is for rest, not practice time. With the addition of so many Thursday games, the NFL is showing they don't give a flip about either, and the product has suffered.

I just want consistent scheduling within the league.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Yes, there's waaay too many games in the regular season. No, the owners will never consider shortening it since they want 41 games worth of revenue. Even if you prorate player salaries, they still net less each year.

But yes, if we could somehow take over the system, we'd all curtail the games. March and April in the NBA blow as a third of the league is out of it and start tanking. Too many playoff teams and players know that you can and almost should skate through the regular season giving 70% effort and turning it on in the playoffs.

If I were king and lord tyrant, I'd throw out conferences. Teams play 3 games against division opponents and 2 games against everyone else. 62 games, nice and simple.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Then you could say that about HS and College, because they, on average, only have one game a week at all levels. Don't nitpick this. Compared to basketball, football maintains a consistent schedule throughout a player's entire career.

That's the point. It is the same at all levels.

NBA, it isn't the same. College, HS and International all have more time to learn systems, practice for opponents and rest....more than the NBA. This weakens the ability of NBA coaches to install sophisticating systems and to have multiple systems for each type of opponent.

Football ... it is largely the same schedule week by week between HS, College and Pros. And I'm not disrespecting football here. I'm saying this is part of what makes football King in the US -- The ability to adjust game to game, and exploit opponent weaknesses that you find in video.

NBA coaches cannot translate change to the court that quickly, like NCAA can. Lack of practice time.

#50 heypartner, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I have always said.

Reduce the number of games. Would help add meaning to each game and also would help the game grow a bit more because players would be itching to play international games.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also. Keep the 7th and 8th seeds please. They have proven that they can knock out a #1 seed more than once...and each time was glorious. (especially when the Warriors did it to the Mavs...that was fun!)

It's too bad it'll never happen, all they have done is add more games.

13. crash5179

even better was when the Nugz did it to the Sonics! That was a big help to the Rockets!

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

^^^oh this

15. Steve_Francis_rules

There are 30 teams in the league, 15 in each conference. The ideal number of games would be 72. You get a home and away game against each team in the other conference and you play every team in your own conference three times.

The benefit with the latter is that all two-way tie breakers for seeding would always be head-to-head matchup because you can't have a 2-2 split.

16. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

Quarter million fine... wow Stern. you really are the Hitler of the 21st century. I hope our good lord will take you to heaven now.

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Preface...This is just what i would do...just an idea but this is just a fan speaking...

The best way to do it i believe would be:
    Start in November end in April Regular season:11 games a month
    Start in May end in June Postseason: same as it is now

1. play each team within the division 5 times... 20 games
    2. Get rid of conferences...every season(each division would play 2 new divisions) and play each team 3 times...10 teams...30 games
    3. play the remaining teams once....15 teams...15 games
    4. plus 1 game division, conference or random

66 games total...puts the emphasis on winning the division

Playoffs:
    1. Top 14 teams based on record get in...everyone else watches on TV
    2. Winner of each division gets gets either a bye or top seeding( Top 1 and 2 team gets first round bye)...Remaining 12 teams play...
    3. Round 2: Lowest seed plays #1, next lowest plays #2 (elite 8 style)
    4. Round 3: final 4
    5. Round 4: Top 2...then champion

BUT im not the commissioner...lolllllll

18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

the nba has been playing an 82 game season for almost it's entire history. and back in the day those 82 games were compressed into an even shorter calendar season (heyp says he's been saying since the 90s that there isn't enough time for practice but the nba has never in its history had a spread out schedule with time for practice). and that was before chartered flights and world-class healthcare and modern training. and somehow everyone lived. not only are the spurs not the first team ever to play 4 games in 5 nights, but playing back-to-back-to-back used to be a thing. and the spurs also aren't the only old team ever. i'm not really sure the nba wants to get on the slippery slope of telling people when to play their players, but the spurs can field a team for every game day like practically every other team in history. it's the 17th game in a non-shortened season against the nba champs. you can play your players. it seemed like they were doing it to make a point. and stern fined them to make a point. everyone did what they had to do.

we all know how losing money goes over with both the players and the owners. not well. and as far as a better product, last year the league squeezed 66 games in as fast as they could, teams had to play 3 games in 3 nights and 5 in 6, scoring and efficiency dropped, and people complained about fatigue and injuries and...ratings were even higher than the year before (when they had already gone way up from the previous year) and fans actually seemed to like quantity, in terms of sheer number of games played, over quality. i would say nba fans tend to respond more to the quality of the superstars and storylines in the league over the actual product on the floor. even when the league was starting to become a low-scoring defense-fest in the late 90's, ratings went to all-time highs because jordan was still around. he left and we hit a general marketable-superstar lull and ratings fell off. then lebron formed a superteam and ratings soared and then stayed high even after a lockout made fans mad and cost us part of the season.

#58 francis 4 prez, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They should make the division mean something if "division champion" is a factor in playoffs seeding.

Play each team in the division 2 homes and 2 aways: 16 games
    Play all other teams 1 home and 1 away: 50 games
    Total 66 games

20. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I'm in favor of a smaller number of games (same with baseball), but no owner will ever vote for that. That's money they're giving away.