1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rio Grande Valley Vipers 2012-2013 game thread

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by tamericus, Nov 23, 2012.

1. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

D-mo highlights

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BBAMU7IZfpg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4 people like this.
  2. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

How can D-Mo not stay on the court in the NBA is beyond me, he has great moves and a good shot but seems out of sorts playing in a Rocket uniform. He's definitely a guy we could use in the post.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

His offensive moves were never really in question, to be fair. They looked great in preseason games too, he just happened to miss some shots he usually makes.

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He looks like the PF of the present and future. Dude just has serious endurance problems. He expends a lot of energy and seems to get winded quickly.

I am looking forward to seeing him on the court with Lin, Harden, Parsons, and Asik.

5. rjr

rjr Member

Wow.. Machado was just all over place taking the stupidest shots,he did not pass when he was supposed to, he killed the Vipers momentum.He wasn't the only one though.This guys never slowed the game enough to play in the half court.There was nobody out there to stop D Mo in the post.I really thought Machado was much better than that.

6. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I´ve just seen a small part of the game... it looks like he is taking a lot of time off, both on offense and on defense. I don`t know if this is a mental or a conditioning problem. But when he is focused he looks really good. Great post game (what we are missing the most right now), can shoot the 3 and can alter shots at the basket. He needs to be practicing with Hakeem on his defense some and with McHale on offense to be more consistent. But he sure looks the part when he is trying.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Um, no. NBDL right now has Machado and DMO, plus full grown men who came from college and were college stars back in the day.

NCAA gets overrated because the top picks come from there, but except maybe teams like Kentucky last year, most college teams have 1-2 good rookies and then a lot of crap. Beasley and Derrick Favors were putting up 20-20s in college and I dunno if they excel in the dleague.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Morey stated at the halftime interview that probably D-Mo would be in the NBA again soon. Machado not so much.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Why would solid NBA players like Favors and Beasley not excel in the D-League of all places?
    Anyway, they probably aren't very relevant. Their teams weren't that good, and while Beasley was dominant, Favors never really had a 20-20 in college.

Morey wasn't talking about crappy teams, he was talking about Vipers vs. the best of the best. Can they beat Kentucky with Anthony Davis, MKG, Terrence Jones, etc, all playing cohesive team basketball? After watching these first two games, I don't think so.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Frankly, I find it hard to believe that D-Mo isn't better than a lot of rotation players already in the NBA.

I think the guy can be a starter halfway through next season IMO. I hope he gets at least a few NBDL games to build up his stamina and repetition on his shots.

I don't buy that he is not a good rebounder. I think it's more about learning the nuances of rebounding in the NBA (footwork, sealing off his man, early positioning) than anything else. He has been an excellent rebounder in the past and rebounding typically translates well from Europe to the NBA. Asik is an elite rebounder and weak scorer so I think they complement each other well.

I think at the moment, he needs to focus on 3 things:

- Defensive footwork
    - Strength
    - Shot selection (though this may be related to playing in the NBDL). I think this can more accurately be characterized as offensive decision making - when to shoot, when to drive, when to pass.

Even more promising is that from interviews he seems to be a hard worker in practice.

11. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

As much as I like DMo's offensive game, defensively, he is still not NBA ready. He reminds me a lot of Pau Gasol. I strongly believe DMo will be just as good as than Pau offensively if not better.

Whenever DMo can play decent defense is the time Morey will recall him from RGV.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He looks great in those highlights.

13. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Glen Rice's son looks absolutely nothing like his dad.

14. eman

eman Contributing Member

D-Mo's amphibious. Seems like his offensive skillset at the 4 would pair nicely with Asik's D at the 5. Hope we'll get to see that soon. Ditto TJ. Against a lot of teams, I'd like to see more Smith and TJ at the 5, to give Asik a rest.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Man, i just watched the highlights of D-Mo in those last two games and dude really looks the part. Great post moves and ball movement.
    What i also noticed is the undeserved hate for Machado. The kid had a bad shooting night in the second game, but was still able to get 12pts and 8 rebounds while only coughing the ball up 3 times. I understand that everyone loves D-Mo, so do i, but you have to give props when props are due. In that video i saw him making some great passes to D-Mo. Both Machado and D-Mo are playing well in D-league.
    Reading you guys posts makes it seem like Machado could have never score at all, yet he is averaging 16-8. We all knew he needed to work on his shooting and defense going in.

16. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

That's why it's on Youtube for free.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Actually now, possibly. A month into the season? Definitely. No one from that Kentucky team is lighting up the NBA. I would wager that D-Mo would light up Kentucky like a jumbo-tron scoreboard. And there can be no doubt about who is stronger. The Vipers just look disjointed (and very difficult for a NBA fan to watch) right now because they are just starting the season without an extended preseason.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

??????????????????

19. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I think you're right. People have to high of an immediate expectation for someone undrafted. Took Jeremy Lin his second year, and even then, he's not consistent yet. Machado shows a lot of promise, but he also has a lot of areas he needs to refine. Definitely not ready for the NBA yet, despite how weak the back-up PG position is for the Rockets right now. For most of pre-season and summer league, Machado has been a bit out of control.

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

we just radically disagree on the bolded part.