1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Clutch City mean?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jamalccc, Feb 3, 2003.

1. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

I've been in the BBS for a while now. I saw the commercial boards in the Compaq center about ClutchCity on TV too. What does the word ClutchCity mean? Can anyone help out here?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It means we made your favorite team (The Utah Jazz) cry on several occassions.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

to fully appreciate Clutch City, you must first experience Choke City.

4. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

'95 Houston Rockets...check out the seed, check out the # of elimination games, check out the Dream!

Of course, the real reason is someone made the city forget about the Houston Oilers and a certain wildcard playoff game.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

It means to come from the depths of hell to win a championship.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Uhhhhhh.....

7. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

Hey, get a life man! My favorite team is the Rockets, not the Jazz. How can you be so mean to your fellow Rockets fan???:eek:

8. derrock

I always considered them the '95 Rockets just as I consider this year's team to be the 2003 Rockets. Mostly cuz I was the Class of '95...woohoo!!

#8 derrock, Feb 3, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2003
  9. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

with the oilers ( football) we were always notorious about 'choking' games.. remember the 35- 3playoff loss in buffalo

then in the playoffs against the phoenix suns we were up significantly in a home game and went on to lose the game and go down 3- 1 in the series..

backs against the wall everyone walking out of the game and the general consensus was that we were ' choke city'

because of the oilers and now rockets..

some how we came back from a 3- 1 edge against the suns ... it ended with elie and the now famous kiss of death in game 7 and we closed out the series -- a thing of beauty

hence 'clutch city' the name stuck

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Okay, since people are taking this seriously:rolleyes:

94 playoffs: Houston in 2nd round blows two 4th quarter leads at home in Summitt (Now Compaq Center, since you probably don't know that either) the second game having a 20 point lead evaporate in 4th quarter.

Chronicle Headline(Houston's #1 Newspaper): "Choke City", not just referring to Rockets but entire Houston Sports Landscape, Rockets, Oilers, Coogars, Astros, etc.

Next two games, Rockets have two heroic games in Phoinex, the first of which was highlited by Vernon Maxwell's 24 second half points, after the Rockets went into half time down 16, and chances looking bleak. Rockets go on to win next three games prompting headline in Chronicle: "ClutchCity"

11. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

............................. :eek:

#11 RIET, Feb 3, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2003
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Yeah but it was 93 94 Rockets.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

A-Train's "uhhhhhhhh" is because ClutchCity is a term that was invented by local media follwoing Houston's defeat of the Suns in teh 94 playoffs. Following two home games to open the series that ended in losses as a result of letting Phoenix come back from 20 point leads in the 4th quarter, the team was rightly labeled ChokeCity"

As we all know, the Rockets came back to win that series, prompting the now famous ClutchCity title. The nickname was only cemented the next year for the reasons stated above, including a similar series against Phoenix that ended with Mario Elie's kiss of death.

14. Timing

Timing Member

First you asked if it was okay to be a Jazz fan and a Rocks fan and now this? Tsk tsk...

15. derrock

16. GranvilleWaders

Am I this old?

:( :( :( :(

17. derrock

I agree JayZ750 that the "Clutchcity" name came from the '94 Roxs but it was the drama of the '95 playoffs that really sold me.

18. theguent

theguent Member

Anyone who asks this question should never be allowed to post here again.

How can any Rox fan not know this???!??!?!?

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Dude, you played, on the Rockets 86 team against the Celtics backing up Sampson, Olajuwon and Peterson. Of course you are old.

20. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Okay, so I went away to smoke a cigarette in mid post and there's frickin' 30 responses on what I was about to write anyways...

EDIT