1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy: "Where was Jeremy Lin?"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by munco, Nov 16, 2012.

1. MKL

MKL Member

Nothing new, Lin has to prove himself and post all-star stats to justify getting minutes.

No, it's not because he is Asian American. Basketball reasons.

Just like how Clutch is "disgusted" at the replies from his tweet. However, passive aggressively comment on benching Lin in the OT.

More basketball reasons.

Just like how every Lin hater start asking for stats and facts from Lin fans, saying it's not about race. And yet, after stats and facts are presented, haters try to humiliate Lin fans on spelling and grammar.

More basketball reasons.

2. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Could you elaborate? Don't follow college ball much...

3. khfxxx

khfxxx Member

I wonder whether Sampson will ever bench Steve Nash if he's the pg, since Nash clearly can't guard anyone.

4. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Jeremy Lin is no Steve Nash.

5. khfxxx

khfxxx Member

My point is Sampson's reason to bench is ridiculous.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Which is exactly what I said in the correction. Jetfuel was just misquoting me, for whatever reason.

That's exactly right. Incredibly pathetic some of these responses (the worst of them are no longer on the board). We're now kicking these types of posters without a second thought.

The decision to sit Lin in overtime was a bad one in hindsight, but as hot as Lillard was, I understand what he was trying to do. Lillard scored on Lin with 17.9 left to put Portland up 3, and after Morris' three and the timeout, he went with Douglas for the final 10 seconds for defensive purposes and it worked. He kept riding that in overtime and it didn't work out -- probably shouldn't have sat Lin the whole extra frame.

I feel sorry for these people. Not sorry enough to let them post here, but I do feel sorry for them.

7. khfxxx

khfxxx Member

fixed

8. sew

sew Member

If person (A) from one team plays the same position as person (B) on the other team, we can conclude that if person (A) scores points it's automatically due to the defense (or lack thereof) that person (B) played.

Nope, doesn't work that way.

9. my2cents

my2cents Member

Rocket coach staff never want to use Lin as PG. They want Harden to play iso at the game. That is the reason Sampson didn't want to play Lin and thought TD was better than Lin because we did need PG skill.

That is the BIGEST issue HERE it is more than playing Lin at OT

1 person likes this.
  10. my2cents

my2cents Member

Fix here we did NOT need PG we have Harden.

11. IdoTLV

IdoTLV Member

Just another point to consider...

For the few here who "know so well" what happens behind the scenes, suggesting that DMorey has all kinds of "hidden management parameters" on a higher priority than winning the game, here's an original thought:

The Rockets are trying really hard to close long term deals with TV Networks.

Now, what do you oh-so-clever people think EACH FRESHLY PICKED LOSS DOES to Morey's ability to SELL the IDEA that the Rockets are going to CREATE CRAZY HIGH RATINGS?

Hmmm?

Now go tell me that Morey doesn't mind losing a game, and feels just fine with Jeremy Lin sitting all through clutch, while Toney (nothingness) Douglas is busy missing both good and bad shots, making zero plays, and not making any real difference on defense either, all in front of our dying eyes...

Yes. That does wonders to your negotiating abilities!

smh-reinforced sigh...

12. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Let's see, imagine if they sit Nash out the entire game because he's a defensive liability. In overtime your goal is to score more than the other team, not to maintain a lead you don't have to begin with.

Sure, you can switch on specific, crucial plays, but for 5 minutes? Seems like a poor excuse to me.

13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

It's not really ridiculous if you think about it.

1) Last game against Trailblazers Lin left Lillard wide open for a 3. Lillard torched the Rockets in the end.
    2) TD had a great game against Hornets.
    3) Lillard was getting hot again like the first meeting and Sampson decided to give TD a try since he's more of an aggressive on the ball defender.

It may be the wrong decision but not that ridiculous. Nothing to go crazy about for sure.

14. IdoTLV

IdoTLV Member

Dude - YOU PLAY YOUR BEST PLAYERS IN CRUNCH TIME.

Anything else IS RIDICULOUS.

15. my2cents

my2cents Member

But Lin is our start PG and can make a play. If we use him we might get a chance to win.

but our coach thought we don't need a chance and we just need Harden's iso :rolleyes:

We already knew playing hero-ball won't get us anywhere..we lost 4-5 games for the same reason...Could we learn better from the mistake?:grin:

16. redlawn

redlawn Member

Clutch,

Immediately after the Portland game, kinein posted a thread debunking the myth that Lillard scored 11 (or even 8 points) on Lin. Personally, I thought it was good thread, because it was insightful and he spent a lot of time breaking down the play-by-play. Recently, I have not seen the thread at all.

Has the thread been moved or merged?

My apologies if this has been addressed before. I understand the challenges of operating and moderating an online forum and still maintaining a degree of civility. We all appreciate and thank you for the tireless effort you've put to enable a place for Rockets fans to congregate and talk about the team.

Thanks in advance.

--redlawn

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

It was a combination of things. He took the job with NCAA violations hanging over his head from this time at Oklahoma, then compounded that by violating the terms of his "parole" in his recruiting at Indiana. As well as basically ignoring drug use by players at IU. Maybe a lot of what I heard was overblown there, but even his coaching style on the court was not my style. He basically let Eric Gordon and DJ White do whatever they wanted and it seemed like the inmates were running the asylum.

Sampson was to Indiana what Billy Clyde was to UK... a huge mistake.

18. khfxxx

khfxxx Member

Batum was as hot as Lillard and he was the guy scored the most points on Portland. Yet Lin was benched while Parsons or whoever was guarding him was still on the floor?

And how come TD is a better defender than Lin anyway? by eye test?

You don't replace your starter with a backup just because 1 game!

You live or die with your starters or the core players cuz they are the ones you depend on going forward not Tony "chucker" Douglas!

Did Sampson even realize how the team chemistry will be affected after this dumb decision?

SMH

19. chen55

chen55 Member

He has already tried TD at the last 2 mins in the 2nd quarter, and successfully get the Houston lead from 15 points to 6.

20. IdoTLV

IdoTLV Member

Good point, which is not mentioned enough...!

Although even without it, there is ample evidence showing that Sampson made an unforgivable decision IMHO...