1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Can we stop crying for just a minute?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Axeman, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Axeman

Axeman Member

I posted something late last week to the effect of, "Please stop whining everyone because the Rockets are young..." Except for the mainstays around here who have cooler heads, most of us were willing to throw in the towel, fire Rudy, give up on Eddie Griffin, trade Cuttino for draft picks, etc... etc.... My point was that this is a young team that just needs experience. The talent is there, and it's now just a matter of time.

I think the last two games proved my point. They are starting to buy into Rudy's system, first of all. The assists have gone thru the roof. And, they have the talent and athleticism at EVERY position on the floor to run anyone out of the gym. Give this team 2 to 3 more years and they will be doing what we saw them do Friday and Sunday in every single game they play. They will all be in their prime and the Rockets will be a contender.

Be ready for a few more lapses this season. They will fall back again at some point and stink it up a few times. But, look at the positives for crying out loud. Rudy took this team to two championships, beat all the best coaches at that time, and he's just being patient with his young players. When they get the experience under their belts to be able to execute his game plans like the old Rockets teams did, and with Yao in the middle as the anchor, we will dominate.

So, let's continue on with our spirited debates, fellow chaps. In the meantime, get on board with the current program because success is right around the corner.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Which is worse, a person that whines, or a person that whines about somebody that whines?

Let's face it, this team deserved every word of criticism that was hurled at them after that Mavs debacle...

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

True dat. If we didn't care we wouldn't whine.

4. haven

haven Member

...or we could say that we prefer to not approve/disapprove of the team after every result. The Rockets have looked excellent at times, but horrific at others. More so than many young teams (and truth be told, Francis and Mobley aren't kittens).

The lack of consistency is larger than simply it being a "young team" that "needs time to gel." I don't think those platitudes apply when your PG is in his 4th year and your SG his 5th... when those two players account for so much of the team's offense. The young front court explains why we're not dominant... but I still don't understand the terrible lapses in execution. If passing is good some days, why not all days? The problem isn't performance, so much as how the team plays.

5. Axeman

Axeman Member

All I can say is, this board has really gone down in quality over the last few years. Whereas we used to have a relatively educated discussion regarding Rockets moves, trades, etc... And the occasional expression of frustration (which was a lot more warranted in the days of Clyde Drexler, Barkley, Olajuwon -- proven veterans who were screwing up occasionally). Lately, it's become this forum for knee-jerk reactions every time Mobley has a bad night, or we play the best team in the league and get spanked (see Mavericks game).

It just gets old. Really, I'm only trying to put the word out there that I wouldn't mind hearing a little more positivity around here, especially considering that we are on the way up from the last two years, and we just lucked into the biggest draft pick for this franchise since Hakeem Olajuwon.

OK - I'm done now. Please go on with whatever you want to cry about next. Dammit, Mo Taylor isn't getting enough shots!!!

6. Axeman

Axeman Member

Man, I can't believe people expect a team that has collectively been together for less than 2 years to have some magic vibe that makes them contenders. People are dreaming if they think Francis and Mobley are the nucleus of this team. It is Francis and Ming, who just started playing together this year. Stop looking to Francis and Mobley as the people who we expect to get us to the playoffs and beyond. They didn't before, and they never would have by themselves. The final piece to the puzzle is Ming.

The nucleus of the Lakers has been together for 5+ years now, and it took them 2 years of that time to "gel". And that was with O'Neal in his 7th year in the league. The nucleus of the Bulls championship teams was together for 10+ years (Pippen and Jordan). The nucleus of the great Celtics teams was together for a long time, as well (Parrish, McHale, Bird).

OK, maybe i'm not done with this issue.... ;)

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Stop crying? You insensitive misogynist brute! Somebody could benefit from some therapy.

8. Kiki

Kiki Member

Axeman,
    I couldn't agree with you more. I've tried to explain this to some of the guys on this board, but I can't seem to get through to them. This team has been together for exactly 1/2 a season. I'll say it's time to complain if we're not contenting for the division title by 2005. And as far as Francis and Mobley being "veterans", how many years did it take Jordan before he figured out the magic formula for making the team around him better? 6, 7 years?

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I don't think Axeman is complaining about the criticism of the Rockets. He's talking about the fans who completely gave up on the team, said they suck, said they should fire the coach, said they should trade away players, said there's no way in hell they're making the playoffs, etc. There's a difference between criticism and stupid knee-jerk reaction posts.

Basically, a lot of people are going to look like happy bandwagon-jumping idiots if the Rockets finish the season strong and make the playoffs. That's all. I'm not whining about the haters, I'm just calling them idiots. You think I'm just going to let them get off scott-free? :)

#9 DCkid, Feb 3, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2003
  10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

It doesn't apply when those two guards have had to be the go-to guys for the past three seasons and are now trying to adjust to a completely different system?

I think some of you are missing something. It's not just that the team is young, it's that this is almost a completely new team! They have players who are new, players who are extremely young, players who are coming off of injuries, players who are having to adjust to a new system, etc. They've been together for half a season! Hell, if there was a team of veterans who had never played with each other before it would take some time for them to "gel" as a team. In the Rockets case, this is compounded by the team's youth. There are some exceptions, but usually teams don't become outstanding overnight.

It baffles my mind how some of you act so surprised that the Rockets have gone through some struggles this season.

#10 DCkid, Feb 3, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2003
  11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

How could you possibly know this? All I ever see from you is I-am-right-and-you-all-suck posts. b****ing about people b****ing is, in my opinion, a bigger problem than those b****ing in the first place. If there's a downgrade in quality here, I can assure you that you're part of the problem.

Do you really think your post just solved anything?

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What I find funny is fans who think their b****ing is a main reason the Rockets are playing well and 'getting it' right now. Somebody today actually suggested that was the main reason.

It couldn't have possibly been the coaches demanding the team to stop leaving the game plan or the guards trusting the game plan after being humbled or Yao regaining some freshness or everyone learning to focus for 48 minutes on defense...or ...

Remember...there is a solid, undeniable truth with this team...they want to win more than you do, and they hate to lose more than you do.

13. montelwilliams

These were home games. Let's see how the Rox play on the road.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

That's what irks me...everybody knows that me NOT watching the Rockets the past two games is the reason they did so well.

15. heypartner

<blockquote><hr>Originally posted by Axeman
    All I can say is, this board has really gone down in quality over the last few years. Whereas we used to have a relatively educated discussion regarding Rockets moves, trades, etc...<hr></blockquote>
    There is no doubt that many people (included 3 admins) have said similar things in the feedback area (I could pull the threads), but like Clutch said, I find this statement to be completely false. imo, this year has introduced us to more great new fans with solid negative and positive critique unlike any other year I've been posting. This year has inspired some of the best new writing and takes I've seen on this board.

Maybe you just don't read enough Axeman.

happy hunting

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Axeman, great post. It might not have solved anything, but it did provide some balance from the continual "sky is falling" posts after losses, that want to trade Mobley, Francis, Eddie, (everybody but Yao. Last year it was everybody, but Eddie).

I have to admit that I was getting frustrated, but I have confidence that Rugy, though plodding in his ways, knows how to do the people thing/ chemistry thing that will lead to a championship contender. Now that Mobley is talking about getting Yao touches I think the team is starting to "get it" and we should be very optimistic. As you say, expect relapses.

I think that those teams who make wholesale changes suddenly and repeatedly seldom get anywhere. I think Rudy made a good move with the KT issue and waited until the team could accept it. The same trade made before the proper time could lead to a lot of bad feelings.

17. wiredog

wiredog Member

Fans have th right to b****. We pay for the League, we fund the league, and we don't get paid (or at least I don't) millions of dollars. Last year, I didn't b****. We had a team full of injuries. I cheered as long as they gave the best effort. This year, not so. Axeman wants to take credit for being patient while we whined and b****ed? A team does not gain experience over the weekend. Rockets did not improve past two games because they matured. They changed because they did things that a lot of people here were demanding that they do. Fans aren't players nor coaches, but we make observations. So Axeman, tap yourself on the back, because you proved nothing.

18. Toughtown

Toughtown Member

I too think this was nice post to read Axeman. This board has been increasingly difficult to read over the past couple of months despite what Mr. 4000+ posts 'Clutch' says. Countless threads demanding the firing of our coach, trading of our star player, etc after every loss is unproductive - and in my opinion unfounded. "You Suck! Fire Him!" are not constructive opinions, in my opinion.

I'll fire up the excuse machine again, but this team is young and experienced - but they are learning and getting better as the season progresses. We are in the tough West and hanging in there. All those hotheads out there who think we are underachieving, please reference some teams, past or present, who became contenders right away with new, young players.

19. heypartner

<blockquote><hr>Originally posted by Toughtown
    All those hotheads out there who think we are underachieving, please reference some teams, past or present, who became contenders right away with new, young players. <hr></blockquote>
    San Antonio 1990
    Orlando Magic 1993 (2nd yr)
    Houston Rockets 1986 (2nd yr)
    Boston Celtics 1980

Toughtown, it happens but it always involves drafting a dominating 7ers and/or an absolutely phenomenal legend.

Francis is not a Bird-like legend, so your point is well-taken. Yao Ming is a dominating 7er in the making, so the expectations for contending now are indeed grounded in history, but it should be noted that Shaq and Hakeem/Sampson took two years to become real contenders. That said, exhaustion, language barrier, increasingly sophisticated NBA defenses, combined with a young team in a new offensive system are a wee bit too much for us to be consistent enough to contend this year....but we damn sure can beat the contenders.

I want to contend and feel we could if Yao could actually play 35 energetic minutes consistently, but I'll take the sporadic inconsistency if they do show great 5-man games of crushing the contenders.

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

haven:

Do you have some examples throughout history of similar teams with similar makeups to the Rockets to prove your point? I'd be interested to see them. Thanks.