1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time to bust out the getoffyourbuttalgore.com website?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Achebe, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

All Democrats should be scared. Very scared. Cottle nails the reason(s) why Bush will probably be elected in 2004 (sorry, I technically can't refer to it as a 're'-election, can I).

THAT'S LIFE
    Generation Gap
    by Michelle Cottle

Biology is destiny. That's all I could think while watching George W. Bush deliver his State of the Union speech this week. No, I'm not talking about the fact that there's no way in hell this guy would have been elected mayor of Scranton, much less leader of the free world, if he'd been born into a less exalted family. But some sort of bizarre genetic predestination seems the only way to explain how a president who is said to live in terror of repeating the mistakes of his father seems determined to do just that. Specifically, I refer to the prevailing sense that Poppy's foreign policy obsession left him with little interest in the nation's economic troubles. Bush I never convinced average Americans he felt their pain, and thus in 1992 voters were forced to gently remind him that it was the economy, Stupid.

George W. absorbed the harsh lesson of his dad's perceived lack of empathy. Perhaps more importantly, Karl Rove absorbed this lesson. And political watchers pretty much agree that this Bush administration is flat-out desperate to show America how much it cares about the little guy's money troubles. But W., God love him, at times just can't quite pull off the charade. The first half of his SOTU speech--the part focused on domestic and economic issues--was your typical laundry list of policy ideas (with $10 billion extra in AIDS funding for Africa thrown in), with an early emphasis on the latest budget-busting tax-whacks this president favors. Bush's delivery had all of the oomph of a bored seventh-grader presenting a book report. Once Saddam became the subject, however, it was as though a switch had been thrown and the president sprang to life. But since most polls indicate that a majority of Americans consider the ailing economy--more than Iraq or even terrorism--to be the number one problem facing the nation, you'd think the president could have avoided looking quite so uninspired while addressing matters unrelated to war.

Understanding that some people might want more details about Bush's domestic policy, the White House assured us the president would delve into Medicare at his speech in Michigan on Wednesday. But the crowd in Grand Rapids got all of three minutes of Medicare exposition from Bush--with his remaining 40 minutes taken up by talk of tax cuts and Iraq. It's uncanny, really. Sure Bush needs to spend a lot of time contending with the awful business of war. But, aside from continuing to hawk the glory of lower taxes, he doesn't seem to want to discuss Americans' number one priority at all. It's as though he and Poppy suffer from the same rare neural defect.

Not that it really matters. In the end, W.'s failure to wrestle with our economic problems likely will not do him in like it did Poppy, because in one vital area Bush 43 has made tremendous evolutionary strides over 41: Americans fundamentally like him. W. has that charming regular-guy persona and common touch that Poppy never did. And at the end of the day, a huge chunk of the American electorate votes for whichever candidate gives us that warm and fuzzy feeling inside. W. does that. He can pander to the rich, undermine environmental protections, nominate uber-conservative judges, advocate shoving more seniors into HMOs, run the government with a level of secrecy not seen since the demise of the KGB, and drown kittens in the White House pool (okay, I made that last part up)--and still be regarded as a moderate, compassionate conservative because of his manner. His aides note with pride that he speaks in a way that doesn't scare people. In other words, for many Americans, Bush is a swell enough messenger that we barely notice when his message is complete hooey.

Unfortunately, none of the early Democratic presidential contenders seems to have that same gift. I'm sure John Kerry and Dick Gephardt are great guys, but watching them give a speech is like--well, like watching a Senate floor debate on C-SPAN. Howard Dean seems significantly more human, but a Vermont liberal isn't exactly the sort to woo the nation's legion of swing voters. I've long had a crush on Joe Lieberman, but he as yet to show that magic spark on the stump. (Maybe it's that Northeastern reserve.) Al Sharpton? 'Nuff said. And while John Edwards has that whole charming Southern thing working for him, his public appearances thus far, whether hanging with Tim Russert or at the recent NARAL meeting in Washington, haven't exactly been confidence inspiring.

Of course, many months stand between the combatants and Election Day. But even as the Democratic hopefuls prepare their policy papers and polish their political credentials, they had better start trying to get in touch with their inner Bill Clinton. Because when the 2004 race really heats up and Bush knows his job is on the line, you can bet that he will suddenly be feeling our pain. He'll drawl a couple of empathetic speeches, explain how just one more round of tax cuts should solve all our problems, and then sit back and smirk, confident in the knowledge that so many Americans think he's basically a good guy. Somewhere out there, Poppy must be just a teensy bit jealous.

Michelle Cottle is a senior editor at TNR.

Come back Al! Come back! Why couldn't you at least have honed kid-Edwards stage skills in 2004 damn you!

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Does she mean Scranton, Pa.? If so, she's wrong. Hell even Gary Coleman (whatchoo talkin' bout Willis) would be elected in this one horse town. ;)

3. Buck Turgidson

The font was a little too small, was he talking about Bush or Gore?

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Thanks rimrocker! There's hope yet!!

Buck, you republicans have trouble w/ context ehhh? :p

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

6. Holden

Holden Member

yeah democrats should be scared, if in your mind Al Gore is the saviour to all your parties problems. you should be scared that you even made this thread begging al gore to solve this countries problems.

cry me a river. W will be REelected.