1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Backup PG is a serious issue we need to address

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LBJ-Tmac, Nov 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

That is not a good enough reason.

2. sidestep

sidestep Member

Livingston was let go to clear cap space. I liked the the preseason game he got major minutes but he ain't coming back - forget him.
    Still waiting for Morey to make further moves.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Fisher dissed us, plus he sucks. Terrible idea

4. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Steve Francis?

5. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

The OP is right, the lack of backcourt depth is a more pressing issue than the PF spot -- by far. If Patterson can stay healthy the Rockets should be passable at the 4, especially if they can get anything from Morris, Jones, DMo and/or White -- and I am pretty sure they can. We aren't getting any post presence from those guys this year probably, but not many NBA teams do get post play from their 4's nowadays.

Douglas is brutal. It is like watching Hill trying to play Center again like at the beginning of last season -- brutal. Harden has made up for it the last two games, but he can't keep playing this many minutes, and expecting him to stay at this level is like expecting Lin to play at the level he had when he blew up with the Knicks -- no player can be expected to do so.

They need someone who can pressure the ball on defense, control the ball on offense and either drive or shoot. Nothing fancy, no 6th man of the year winner or anything, not even a true point necessarily, just solid offensive production off the bench so that Lin and Harden's plus minus numbers are not excessively insane and the team squanders every lead those two create.

Even someone like Beno Udrih, whose team would probably like to cut costs and who has an expiring deal and pretty small role on the Bucks, would be a massive upgrade for the backcourt.

1 person likes this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Jarrett jack would fit in nicely IMO.

Not making a lot and could probably get him without giving up too much as he only has a year left on his deal I believe. He could Sub harden or Lin and he'd provide more stability to that bench unit.

7. lalala902102001

Douglas failed miserably at PG in NY last season, under a system where PGs usually excelled. He showed nothing so far with the Rockets this year. What makes anyone think that this guy can turn it around? He is an undersized two guard who simply can not play in the NBA. Period.

The good news is that the backup PG position is not difficult to fill. We need to realize that the Douglas experiment is not going to work out and get someone else.

8. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Bring over Llull.

9. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Just play Machado. Give him a shot. Sink or swim rook. He can't be any worse.

10. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Jose Calderon?

11. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

I hope there are some changes soon. McHale is playing the people who he thinks can help. Probably why no rookies have played. I dont want to see Lin and Harden play heavy minutes like they have been but I dont think there will be any changes.

Douglas played well in the preseason but so does a lot of people playing against lesser talent. With Livingston, at least you knew you have someone who can be trusted not to play horrible. If you can play for a strict coach like Scott Skiles (before Ellis trade) than your doing something right.

12. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Heck maybe we should get an oldie out from retirement.

13. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

from Europe , Vets in China?

14. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

We need a starting power forward first.

15. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Stephon Marbury? lol

16. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

That's the list.

Point Guards: Gilbert Arenas, Earl Boykins, Anthony Carter, Sherron Collins, Antonio Daniels, Jonny Flynn, Derek Fisher, Courtney Fortson, Sundiata Gaines, Vernon Hamilton, Mike James, Armon Johnson, Shaun Livingston, Brian Morrison, Chris Quinn, Anthony Roberson and Walker Russell.

Jordan Farmar was also waived by the Hawks at one point, but signed a 3-year deal to play in Turkey.

17. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

We were able to get Rod Strickland that one year let's get another vet

18. archinkent

archinkent Member

Man...from Brooks to Lowry to Dragic and now Douglas??? Talk about a huge downgrade in backup PG. He reminds me of Johnny Flynn *barf*

19. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

It's simple

PLAY MACHADO. He knows how to dribble pass and maintain the tempo.

20. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Yuck to most, although there are a few I haven't seen. I pick Livingston. If only we had a chance at him....yea yea I get that he cost a bit of money