1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Power forward should we go after?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScolaIsBallin, Nov 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. tokenbk

tokenbk Member

We'll need at least a top 3 pick to get Zeller, probably top 2.

2. maizer

maizer Member

To be fair, Scola nailed Love hard in the nuts the game before. Sure it wasn't on purpose, but man Love was in some pain lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=whUORuZwPQE

3. dartherus

dartherus Member

+1.

Instead of him playing with the Suns, with Rockets' subsidy, he could be the starting PF.

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I just hope Morey doesn't make the same mistake twice by thinking Amare / Nene and definitely not Pau Gasol is the PF that's going to take us to the next level. Millsap is not the best size but I'll take him over Josh Smith. Also, if we get a Josh Smith, please do not sign him to the max. Our bench would still be average and a Harden-Smith combo is still not top 3 in the west.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

you aren't getting either any time soon, but if the Rockets had a choice, I suspect they'd take the much younger and better overall player, which is Love.

and i'm not even sure that Aldridge is better at those 3 categories, either. if he is, it's only by a little. 1, Love isn't a horrible defender anymore, surely. David Lee is horrible, or Troy Murphy, or Antawn Jamison. Love is average or above. 2, his post up game isn't as developed, versatile or pretty as LA's, but he gets the job done. 3, he's a ridiculously better rebounder.

6. Sean88888

Sean88888 Member

We need to think about championships here people. Sure, D-Mo or T Jones or one of the young PFs might turn out to be good players, but will that propel the Rockets into championship contender status? This max player is basically the last major acquisition for the Rockets barring any major trades, so we need to think about which player, when added to the current team, will make us contenders? We need to think along the lines of signing CP3 and trading Lin, or signing Dwight and trading Asik, or adding a real all star PF.

7. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I agree

8. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

I know that I'll receive plenty of scorn for this, but here goes.

KL, LA, DC are pipe dreams. Millsap and Smith are mistakes. The only realistic option (and the best fit IMO) is Pau. Perfect for the pick and roll on offense, legit low post game. Long and active on defense. Can play four or five, giving us a solid big man rotation with Asik. Championship experience on a team that will desperately need it.

Call me crazy, but how is that not a perfect fit?

9. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

No it's not a perfect fit because the guy is getting old, not at his best anymore, wants a lot of money, didn't want to come to Houston, not strong enough, he's a p***y, he wants to be the #1 option anywhere he goes, he's got an ego which won't fit in with Harden & Lin. Josh Smith is not perfect but at least he wants to come here.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Top 8 player overall
    Best overall PF

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

KLove would be great but why would we even touch a player who is clearly untouchable right now?

Paul Millsap is the best option among realistic possibilities. He runs the floor, moves off the ball, and is an incredible pick and roll player.

He's also a good defensive player as long as he's not matching up against true 7 footers. His wingspan and tenacity make up for his lack of height.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Whoever it is, he should be able to shoot the 3-pointer very well. When you have 2 penetrating guards like Lin and Harden in your backcourt and Asik as your center, you need floor-spacing forwards. Lin was at his best in a spread-out offense in NYK, remember.

13. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Chuck Mutha******g Hayes.

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Aldridge would be great as a free agent, when is he available?

15. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Obviously I disagree with your opinion on Pau, but that's fine. I am curious what the love for Smith is though. I think he is a terrible fit.

Perfect world I take KL or DA all day, but they're not getting moved. Not to us, not to anyone. With the options that are left I take Pau all day.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

D-Mo. He has a chance to be perfect complement to Lin/Harden. He's one of our best 3pt shooters and best post players all in one. Play the kid and give him a chance to develop. what do we have to lose? We just may find out that we already have the talent to be the NEW OKC. I don't think anyone really knows what the ceiling is on White, D-Mo, or Jones. Let's find out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Not crazy at all and I consider this to be the best option of the realistic possibilities.

I think your right in that Love, Cousins, and Aldridge not being available - at least not for anything the Rockets can offer after the Harden deal.

I don't think the players that are available (Smith, Jefferson, Millsap) are great fits long term for the Rockets. When committing long term, max money to another player to pair with Harden he needs to be the type of players that puts you over the top because you won't be getting another chance once the max contact is signed.

So back to Pau, he has what - 2 years left on his deal? I bet he plays well enough to warrant his contract over that time. After his deal is up some of those players mentioned above as currently untouchable are more available - either through trade or FA signing. With Gasol's deal off the books we should have another max contact to offer.

18. MVPCrawford

MVPCrawford Member

Guys.... How can this thread be seven pages long without mentioning the ideal PF for the Rockets: Carlos Boozer. From the spray on hair to the constant yelling on the court says that he was born to be a Rocket. He is the post presence we're looking for. Morey, if you're reading this, please contact Gar at your earliest convenience so you can make a deal.

*the preceding post has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I am a Bulls fan first and a Rockets fan second.

19. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

That's exactly how I see it. I think our PF situation is handled for the future, we just need a bridge to get there. Pau makes us contenders right now, with the other pieces we have. Two years from now jones and dmo have their nba legs under them, let him go. Use that money to make a move at another position if you want.

20. duteman

duteman Member

This is the guy i'm hoping will develop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sps0J1jgses

Royce white if you don't watch the link. He's probably more of a SF with his size, but with him in we could sacrifice a small guard and have two bigs in along with him. Really hope he makes it into the 2nd unit rotation to be the smooth operator vs tony douglas running the show.