1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden has agreed to a 5 year, $80 million deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Oct 31, 2012.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He's essentially on the exact same contract as Eric Gordon, but with an additional year on the back end.

Yes, that year is pretty steep, but Houston's ability to do 5 years, when alot of teams could only do 4 was the main reason why Harden jumped at the chance at coming to Houston. His agent was smart enough to know that Houston had that 5th year extension to give. If Houston did not have that, then there is a good chance he would have persuaded Harden to accept OKC's deal.

So let me ask you this. For a player around the same age, abilities + solid health track record & more star power to have the same contract + one additional year doesn't seem that bad to me all things considering.

Ultimately the player you can closely compare Harden to is Eric Gordon. With the news coming out today about Gordon possibly missing his first season on his new max contract with Knee surgery, this deal looks like a slam dunk to me.

2. komac

komac Member

Yeah... imagine that, spending these kind of money on Howard, a superstar :rolleyes:

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

No one should make as much as LeBron, but plenty of players do. Harden may make too much, but it's hard to argue so when that's how much he would command in the free market. Our team is still in a great cap situation so I don't see what the issue is.

4. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry, I just don't understand this argument. What does this mean? How did you come to this conclusion? Was it a personal eyeball test? Just a gut feeling.

People, read this slowly and carefully: every advanced statistic indicates that James Harden significantly raised his game when Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant were off the court.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/PERDiem-121031/john-hollinger-all-breakout-team-2012-13

5. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

Very very very Happy with this. No issue with 5yr 80M, now I can get my Harden #13 jersey for christmas. I have a Yao and TMac, now need a Harden. Glad we have our 1st superstar, next comes in next offseason.

6. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

And if you factor in his salary this year and divide by 6 years, he's actually getting $14m/year.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Funny but that was my reaction as well. Not sure if he's a legitimate max player but he's only 23 so a five year contract like this is a much better gamble than one for a player in his mid 30's.

8. GreenLantern

GreenLantern Member

Your confused. The Max Deals are different under the new CBA vs. the old CBA. Shorter Deals, Less Money.

9. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

holy cow$$$$$

10. Pahokee

Pahokee Member

The Joe Johnson comparisons are just... odd.

Johnson's highest basketball reference offensive rating in his career: 113
    Harden's highest basketball reference offensive rating in his career: 125

Johnson's highest win shares/48: .145 (with eight seasons of .100 or worse, league average is usually .100)
    Harden's win shares/48 last year: .230 (the year before it was .156)

Harden's true shooting percentages in his career: .551, .598, .660
    Johnson's highest true shooting percentages: .558, .557, .556

Seasons of effective FG percentage over .500 for Harden: 2
    Seasons of effective FG percentage over .500 for Johnson: 4

Johnson has been the slightly better defender in his career thus far, but Harden's shown the ability to be the much better offensive player already at just 23.

2 people like this.
  11. Arthurprescott2

Agreed. 5 other teams would jump at the chance to pay Harden max. Market sets the price and whatever LeBron makes is of no consequence. Harden deserves the max and will play up to it in the near future (tonight??? :grin:).

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

There is a lot of Harden hate going on, on my TL right now. It is kind of sad. A lot of people calling Morey desperate because he didn't land Howard. Anyway I am rooting hard for him, Lin & Asik. Everybody doubts those three guys, it is time for them to show everyone that they were wrong about them & make Morey look like a genius.

1 person likes this.
  13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Agreed. That was the major factor behind OKC trading him - they couldn't afford to sign him to a max deal and knew he'd walk. The trade with Morey went down because Morey committed to the Rockets giving Harden the max if he came here. The money is insane but Harden made $24M more today than he would have gotten in OKC.

14. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Numbers Never Lie guys like the deal. That was cool to see on ESPN.

15. jjc1

jjc1 Member

Now Morey needs to work on stacking up more assets to trade for another star player. Portland will suck this year and Aldridge may become available......

16. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Harden needs to prove all the doubters wrong tonight.

17. AB423

AB423 Member

He wouldn't have resigned here anyways, it would've been a waste.

18. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Is it bad that I lol at this every time I see it?

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

not to mention that Harden's knees aren't shot.

20. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.