1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How should Posey be utilized?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finalsbound, Jan 27, 2003.

1. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

First of all, it's been about 15-20 games since I heard those blessed words from Bill Worrell, "Kenny Thomas has been traded." How does everyone feel about that trade? Kenny was an offensive-minded player, the type of player we did not need. So Rudy brings in James Posey, the long, athletic defensive swingman who can run on a break. So has it worked in the Rocket's favor?

I would say "hell freaking yes!!" Posey has ignited this team and gave them the edge in big games (except, of course, for the last four). I the Bulls game, J-Po hit 3 straight mid-range J's and slammed home one of the TOP THREE DUNKS OF THE YEAR, an absolute one-handed flush on the fast break. He's athletic.

And he can shoot.

At Denver, he was the focal point of the offense (excluding Howard in the post). He was the leader of that young team, a struggling team but a team with great camaraderie and definitely upset-minded. He can shoot. This season as a Nugget, I could tell he'd been practicing. He has a great mid-range jumper (the shot, by the way, Calvin begs Steve and Cuttino to take).

So if you look at this lineup:

Yao
    Griffin
    Posey
    Mobley
    Francis

With Posey switching to good offensive off-guards. Everyone on that team can shoot consistantly

IF

They shoot from where they SHOULD shoot. Yao from in close (unstoppable), Posey off picks from mid-range (munny), Griffin from anywhere except behind the arc (he can hit), and...Mobley and Francis blah blah blah. What I'm saying is, RUDY T. needs to run plays for all his players from where they shoot WELL. This will create a lot better ball movement.

Also, Rudy needs to go to the HOT players. HEL-LO...Mo in the Spurs game - totally iced out. In the Bulls game, I see Posey jacking up 3's after such as good start. Who's responsibility is it to lay down the law? The coach. COME ON Rudy, you're smarter than that.

Milk the hot ones

2. New Jack

New Jack Member

Posey is quickly becoming my favorite player on the team. He totally understands how to play the game. He knows when to shoot and when to pass. He's tenacious on d. Hustles for the loose balls and rebounds. He takes it hard to the basket every time. His outside shooting has been better than advertised. And he runs the break better than anyone on the team. We need more players like him.

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

EXACTLY.

Posey's also becoming my favorite player too.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

yep. A leader of one team...should maintain his spot on the new team.

Posey hussles...and plays smart...and has been shooting better with the rocks since we got him.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Point forward!

I understand they used him like this a bit in Denver. He can push the ball up and can find the open teammates. Might be a good idea to try in the 4th (since Moochie is no longer coming in like last year).

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I like Posey Too . .. I'm not as against the trade as I was
    He is my NEW KENNY THOMAS on this team

HOWEVER.
    We must admit it . . . even if you don't want too
    WE MISS KENNY AT THE 4 Spot
    It went from being a abundance of talent to
    two underachieving folx. . . I think the INTANGIBLE
    of Kenny is what helped. . . HE PUSHED EG AND MOT
    with him gone. . . . they just don't seem the same

Our 3 improved by leaps and bounds
    Our 4 has dipped. . .
    the questions

HAS THE 3 INCREASE MORE THAN THE 4 has DIPPED

Rocket River

7. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Well the thing I like about Posey is he knows his role. I think he does when he's relaxed and just plays his game. When he thinks too much, he misses. But I like him. He doesn't try to take over the game. He knows what he is supposed to do. He has been very consistent so far and has been doing good replacing Glen Rice. I believe that he should stay as the starter if Glen returns. Glen will just be an emotional leader...Posey has been utilized. He delivers when we need him...I think Posey is better than Kenny Thomas. Sorry...:)

8. DaneB

DaneB Member

I agree Little, when Glen Rice comes back I definitely think he should sit and Posey start. Rice should start getting around 20 minutes per game with Posey 30 minutes. Posey is a perfect compliment to Steve and Cuttino this reason alone is why I think we came out on top with that trade. I dont think that we are really lacking at the 4 spot at all. True, we havent gotten consistent production, but I think that Maurice will come around eventually. When he does, I think that he should get the majority of the minutes at the 4 with Griffin playing 20 or so minutes. I think that at this stage in his career, Griffin has a ton of polishing up to do.

9. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Mo Taylor is sometimes just awesome. He is very good and he can pass too. That's when we look good. But this is about every other game...sometimes he is feeling it. Other times, he just can't make anything. I wish he could play like tonight every single game. That would be awesome. He and Yao Ming would be great together. We would have a much stronger frontcourt without Eddie Griffin. Put Cato and Yao and Mo Taylor and that would be big. BUT I still think Eddie should play. He still needs more experience and training and is still a pretty good defender. If Mo Taylor can play this good off the bench every game, that would be WONDERFUL! I think we succeeded in doing that trade. At first, I didn't know who Posey was. But now I know...he fits perfectly with our little rascals.

10. carayip

carayip Member

Not really. Mo nearly shoots every time he gets the ball. He looks good when the ball goes in. If not, it will be ugly (like Chicago game). I still prefer EG in the starting 5. His defense and rebounding not to mention block shots are still superior to Mo.

11. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

That's why I said
    "He is very good and he can pass too. That's when we look good. But this is about every other game...sometimes he is feeling it. Other times, he just can't make anything. I wish he could play like tonight every single game."

And he does pass. He does.

12. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Our designated, "Slashing, passing, 3-point shooting, dunking, defense playing, havoc making, shot-blocking, stealing, play-making, genuine BAD-ASS!"

[​IMG]

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The question with Posey isn't whether we want him back. It's whether HE wants to come back. He's the type of player who can fit into a role, but I don't think he wants to be underutilized either. I think there is a lot more he wants to do out there.

14. DaneB

DaneB Member

The thing about Posey is that he may be the best overall player on this team. When he was still playing with the Nugz, I saw him get a triple double (19pts, 14 rebounds and 10 assists), although he wasnt completely dominating the game, he seemed to hussle his ass off big time. That is one thing we really need on this team.

15. Tmo

Tmo Member

Pocket Full of Posey most certainly CANNOT shoot--isn't his career % under/around 40? He's a very good player aside from that, however.

16. Sane

Sane Member

In response to Rocket River, we haven't dipped at the 4. But we have improved at the 3 and even at the 2, although rarely.

MoT and Griff bring the same inconsistent play that KT brought, but at least Griffin is a key part of our deefnse, but what was KT a key part of? Griffin is a core player. Posey is now the ultimate role player for us.

It was a good trade for us, and I'm glad you agree. I'd hate to see anyone's personal feelings affect their judgement on such a brilliant trade for the Rockets.

17. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I liked KT and was sorry to see him go. I like Posey and am glad he is with us. Somebody else said "we traded an undersized palayer at a position we were deep at, for an oversized player at a position we are thin at." I think that is a pretty fair assesment, wish I could give props directly.

What I like about Posey, is largely what has ben previously mentioned. Tough at defense, can score enough, doesn't need the ball in his hads to score, and most importantly, is actually a team player

Now if only he is contageous.

Now if only I could spell.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The guy still needs to rebound. He's a POWER forward. Eddie may not have enough offense yet, but he still rebounds and plays good defense. I think Posey and Rice should start when Rice comes back. I think Cuttino's game is clearly suited for being a spark plug off the bench.

19. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I actually think Posey is one of the only guys being used properly these days...hes a ball hawking defender who can hit the mid range j ...also a good finisher in transition...I dont have a problem with the way he is being used

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What Joisey Rocket said. I concur.

And I'll go one farther, but this is just me: if there are two untouchables on this team, they are Yao Ming and (drumroll) Mr. Posey. Posey hustles, finishes, plays D, and doesn't picture himself in a Nike playground commercial every time he touches the ball.