1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I can't watch this "team"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, Jan 26, 2003.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

You can call it ghetto ball,streetball, and1 mixtape or whatever you want. The simple fact is that its not a winning style,not a fun style and not good basketball. My 11 yr old daughter runs the pg on her team better than Francis does. Know why? When she first started playing ball and handling the pill, i had her watching magic,Isiah, gary payton,kidd and stockton. I don't even let her even think about crossing over and all that b.s. you see on those AND1 mixtapes. By no means am I'm saying my daughter will be the next great female hoops player, what I'm saying is that there is a right and not so right way of running a team and playing basketball. How many time will you see Payton,Kidd,Stockton,Nash,Miller,Davis or any other good pg dribble the ball between their legs on one possession?. Francis will yo-yo the ball as many times in one possession as most will in an entire 2 games. The result of these yo-yo's are standing and watching by both teams and more times than not it results in to's.

I remember saying even during the 45 win season last yr this team was boring and no fun for the average joe fan to watch. they don't give the average fan a reason to drop 70 bucks to see them play. Even with some of the young talent the Rockets have, they should be more uptempo and more energetic than what they are. It wasn't me who sat next to you talking about ghetto ball, but I'm pretty sure by looking at th crowds that guy wasn't the only or last one to think about that.

2. feishen

feishen Member

If Whalton coaches Rox, I can see the facial expressions of our guards right now. That will be hell for them. Just for the sake of that, I am ffor Whalton. VanGundy is good too, though.

3. feishen

feishen Member

Hehehe, Rox must suck pretty bad now. :D
    Solute to all those die-hard fans. You guys are just wired that way, you have to know you are ntaural. :D

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

heypartner, I hear you (I would never say "feel you," sorry), but there's a huge difference between being a basketball fan and a Rockets fan. I think your post bears that out.

I'm happy that you enjoy the games. But non-team basketball isn't really the evolution of the game -- do you think? The winning teams still don't do that, for the most part. It seems to me you're almost giving up. e.g. "Well, this is how my favorite game is played now, and I'm going to love it come hell or high water."

The run-and-shoot was fairly successful and interesting. The current Rockets offense is exactly what you get when everything else breaks down, at any level of basketball, from little drib's on up. I don't know what the best analogy is. Maybe if you like good acting, you have the right to say you don't like Keanu Reeves. That you don't want your favorite director to hire Keanu to play a serious role. Still not the right analogy.

5. feishen

feishen Member

I thought that Rudy.T wanted Francis to drive all the time in the 3rd and 4th period to take advantage of the foul troubles Bulls was having. Uh, it might be not so fair to blame Steve or our back-court solely for this loss. E.G was killing us tonight, I sure miss Rice at tthose 3pt plays. Our PF position is weak weak now.

6. GranvilleWaders

Heypartner..

Why do you have so much animosity toward people who want their team to play toward their potential? Nobody is insulting the game..no one is saying we hate the purity or the fun of the game..maybe some people enjoy different aspects of the game that you don't?

Being a Rockets fan and complaining about such obvious shortcomings is not disrespectful..anymore than you might tell a friend the honest truth because you want the best for them.
    Don't you strive for greatness in your own life? I can't imagine trying and going half-ass at something.

We as Rocket fans expect the best out of our players and some of us think they can give more. That is NOT disrespectful to anyone or the game. Part of the enjoyment of the game for me is the strategy, the offense scheme, the defense. We are allowed to voice our feelings.

I say reject mediocrity and strive for something greater! The Rockets have the pieces...they just need some changes in how they put it all together..It's frustrating watching someone you want to succeed shoot themselves in the foot night after night..and fans want something done.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.. I as a Rockets fan am tired of that..but that makes me no less a fan of the game!

7. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

the difference between pimp and I is that I HAVENT been watching ...

i dont watch the astros because I dont like the way they play ..their style etc...

so if I dont like watching norris dribble for hours..i am sick and tired of the love fest rudy has wirth morris and of course the crap that the rest of the squad is putting out there.. what does that make me??

the little bit that I saw of that detroit game was unwatchable..

I enjoyed watching us when we sucked and everyone knew we sucked because we over achieved and at times were fun to watch but now a team with all this talent and we play the way we are playing...??

it sucks...why would you want to watch it..??

call me back when they start involving ming

:eek:

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

don't tell that to refman!! that dude NEVER watched a rocket game last season!!! :)

9. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, look...the "ghetto" crack has obvious offensive racist underpinnings, but "streetball" or "playground" or "stupid selfish guard play" could be used for the Chinese team just as well. I'd argue that the aesthetic quality or entertainment factor or fun quotient is important, really. No one makes you watch the games - you decide to do so because it gives you some satisfaction or pleasure to see the game work and the incredible feats of the amazing atheletes. If the show isn't beautiful or offers content of offensive tone, it becomes a chore to watch, a chore that even devoted fans can become frustrated with. But, a beautiful game is immediately rewarding and pleasing. Plus it gets you a big tv deal.

10. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Sorry to point this out bro but you sound like you just lost it. You did not make sense at all. Is it me or is Heyp losing it week after week - post after post? I see you are frustrated. Get a grip of yourself partner.

11. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

He's not the only one.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

GranvilleWaders, feishen, fegwu, pasox2 and B-Bob

seriously, what part of my post made you think I was talking to you? Have you ever been to a Rockets game with me. No. Have you ever seen a game on TV with me. No.

Pimp has.

Save it for someone who cares about what you think of basketball. I care what Pimp thinks, because I've seen him be a fan.

#32 heypartner, Jan 27, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2003
  13. Sane

Sane Member

Well that ain't right. Maybe the guy just CAN'T watch Rockets ball? Can you fault him for that?

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

HP,

Do you think that Pimp should just blindly follow along like the legion of lemmings that attend the Rockets games?

I mean come on, don't the Rockets themselves understand why the Summit is not filled to the rafters even with Yao Ming and a winning basketball team.

I have been a fan since they moved from San Diego, and I have never been more frustrated with a team then I am now...and that includes the 15-67 year before they got Ralph Sampson.

FLAT OUT !! This team has no direction, no heart, and no dedication to getting better.

We have a bunch of selfish players who would rather make a highlite reel dunk and get on ESPN, then play defense and get a crucial steal to win a game.

The Rockets have only 1 player who is dedicated on defense, James Posey..the rest of them rest on "D"

I am concerned that Yao is learning some lazy habits from our dynamic (underacheaving) duo.

Rudy needs to grow some sack, or one of the duo has to go.

They are too much alike and having one stupid a$$ player on the court at one time is the limit for a good team.

:)

DD

15. Sane

Sane Member

Dammit DaDakota, everytime I get to a thread after you there's nothing to freakin say!! LOL!

Francis needs to loose this friendship thing and learn that this is a team competing for a championship. This is not 2 buddies trying to show off on a basketball court. Once Francis realizes the seriousness of things (they've traded his best friend), maybe he'll start thinking harder about HOW to play. Maybe by trading Mobley, we'll be forcing him to pass to his next best friend, Yao Ming.

I've been in a negative funk lately, but TheFreak has made me realize that this team is in fact bound for inconsistency. They're not young like the Bulls, but they're still not well defined players. By the end of the year, we'll get a sense of everything, and get rid of everything we don't need, while getting some things to help us get into contention mode. That's why I'm disgusted, but hopeful. If we never show distaste with the way the team's playing, how would they know? Is Rudy going to force them to play better? :rolleyes:

16. GranvilleWaders

HeyPee..

So obviously you care more about yours and Pimp's relationship than about Rockets basketball..seriously man this is a public forum and if you are going to make statements and not expect people to comment on them..that's just being an ass..why not just send him a personal little e-mail then?

I gotta watch a game on TV with you to be a real Fan? Get real..lose the attitude and post real responses..and get off RocketPimp's sack :p

17. heypartner

<blockquote><hr>Originally posted by sirhangover
    the difference between pimp and I is that I HAVENT been watching ...

it sucks...why would you want to watch it..??

call me back when they start involving ming

:eek:
    <hr></blockquote>
    hehe.

Alright sirhangover. You know the way Pimp is at the games. There is an enjoyment in watching pretty much anything when you are there. You'll always find something. Reasons for winning, reasons for loses, new plays/options, new moves. And then all of that is duplicated when you add watching the opponents. Like Garnett leaping to block practice shots that Francis and Mobley throw up after a whistle blows. Do we really have to win to have fun and thoroughly enjoy the game to the point of wondering why the hell do people even watch other sports.

I mean, I went to high school games with my mom from age 6 until I was in high school. There is magic just entering the fieldhouse. imo, there is no other sport like BBall because the fans are so close to the court and so loud. Maybe Hockey could compare. As a freshman at Rice I watched Ricky Pierce go ISO over and over. Boring ball, but entering that arena still grabbed me. Later Rice just sucks, and the atmosphere...love for the game is still there.

<b>question</b>

At any of the games you guys went to in previous years, even when we sucked and when we did all those real wing *ISOs*, did the thought ever enter your mind to say to the guy next to you..."you know, I can't watch this team anymore. I'm leaving."

My point to you and Pimp is to stop and think for a second: Why do I care if Pimp "can't watch this team" anymore? Would you turn down a free ticket? You know it is fun, right? You know even in a loss, people are having great fun, nonetheless. The days when losses ruined my day ended when I was like 13 yrs old. The days when losses made me swear off watching my team have *never* occurred. So extending that to the point of telling other funs that you hate watching this team and are done...the need to say that when you know for a fact that many Rockets still love it...just doesn't register with me, at all.

Maybe you are born with the bug, where watching Yao fight for position is enough to enjoy the game. Maybe you like to laugh at weaknesses of the team, have a little fun with it like Calvin Murphy. Talk to the people around you...etc. If you can understand that, well, it is pretty easy to see that watching on TV can be just as fun for some people. The icing is coming to this BBS to hear what guys like you and Pimp have to say, even if it is playful jabs at players. "Langhi SUCKS SUCKS SUCK" :D

I mean, jamcracker and I used to laugh each time Shandon got stripped trying to show Rudy he really was a slasher. lol There is a lot to have fun with if you love the game first.

Sunday, I enjoyed watching Nash take on Portland and many times Nash backed up his dribble just like Moochie and drill the floor waiting on a high PnR or a seam to drive into...the only difference in those Nash sets when compared to a Moochie is <b>anticipation.</b> You can just feel that Nash knows what he is doing and that Nitwitz is literally waiting in the wings to nail a catch and shoot. It's the same set as ours. I feel the same anticipation no matter who I'm watching. I don't sit there and yell at Nash or Moochie. Maybe I should because Nash is more successful doing it and does other things, too, but it really comes down to a % thing. Moochie is trying to achieve the same 2-man or 3-man game as Nash, but defenses play us differently. Oh well, but I've seen Moochie get some great 3-man games going, so the anticipation is there. Just like I have anticipation of posts by you and Pimp.

The only thing I can't watch is quitters. And Pimp made it sound like he was quitting watching. Fine....he didn't have to tell me, though. I would have done just fine thinking Pimp was still having fun with his Rockets, be it with morbid sarcasm or morbid positivism.

oh well, another one bites the dust I guess. But I will forever continue my quest to find fun fans to watch basketball with.

It is my job as a Rockets Fan Council member, after all.

18. heypartner

I didn't say anything about being a real fan or not. All I said is I wasn't talking to you.

And what is a "real response." That one really made no sense to me.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

HeyWhoPeed in your coke?

Oh wait, I get it. Nobody else should post here with an opinion or react to anything you've posted in a very public place unless they've seen a game with you. I think there's a spot in the Bush Administration waiting for you -- your attitude is a perfect fit. The only thing that starting to make me more ill than the rockets games is this GA&RM forum. Later.

20. heypartner