1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cuban/Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by carayip, Jan 27, 2003.

1. carayip

carayip Member

Does Cuban really hate Yao that much? :confused:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1752228

Dallas Mavericks
    -- Owner Mark Cuban plans to talk with NBA officials because he considers it unfair that All-Star voting was available online in Chinese but not in any other foreign language.
    "It just shows you that the NBA has some biases going on," Cuban said.

Cuban and others say Rockets rookie Yao Ming benefited because online voting was available in China, his native country. Yao beat Shaquille O'Neal in voting and will start at center for the Western Conference in the All-Star Game on Feb. 9.

"You know everybody's going to be voting for one guy, no matter what," Cuban said of Yao. "It kind of tips the scales some."

If the NBA had offered online balloting in Germany, perhaps Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki would be in the West starting lineup, Cuban said. Nowitzki missed by only 7,355 votes.

"It's a missed opportunity, and it certainly isn't fair to Dirk and some of the other players," Cuban said. "On the flip side, it isn't fair to all the American players, either.

"If you really want to extend it and be global, they should have had it online in French, German, Chinese and Canadian. You've either got to do it in all languages or in no foreign language."

2. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Good lord. Doesn't Mark have anything better to do with his time?

3. Michael19P

Michael19P Member

Huh? I didn't know that Canadian was a language :rolleyes: . . . I thought they spoke English and French there.

4. mycatuity

mycatuity Member

cuban got the fact wrong, the vote is in spanish as well. that shows how much his opinion really worth.

5. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Cuban b****es about everything. Ignore the fool.

I do sometimes wonder if an involved owner such as Cuban or George Steinbrenner would tolerate lousy coaching jobs like Les.

6. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

:eek:

Holy cow ! what is Cuban smoking now adays?

Did he actually looking at the voting page? It's available in tri-languages. And come on, since when our Northern neighbour invented a new tongue "Canadian ?"

7. coolpet

coolpet Member

good call :D is Cuban suggest that if the vote is avaliable in germany, Bradley will also be voted ahead of Yao? :D

8. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

i don't think making the voting available in German will make a difference. I think most German can read English well so maybe NBA thinks it's unnecessary to put up a German version of voting site. I maybe wrong though.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Das ist schiesse. Wenn man Deutsch gelesen, dann kann er auch English lesen. Mark Cuban: du bist vollidiot. Stimmt oder stimmt nicht?

10. carayip

carayip Member

I feel for Yao as well as Vince Cater for that matter. They didn't vote themselves in. But now the whole league are talking about how undeserving they are. :(

11. YaoFan

YaoFan Contributing Member

Tentative translation: There is Chinese. When does man germany ... take an English lesson. MC: do not be an idiot. ... ****, Mavs lost again.

12. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

This whole ASG is nothing more than a made-for-TV circus act. The media pumps it up to be a center stage for the best NBA playes but in reality, it is just NBA's rendition of the Globetrotters.

Maybe that's why I never watch ASG.

13. Jack Burton

Jack Burton New Member

Cuban is a smart guy who, for whatever reason, gets a big kick out of ******g with the press and presenting himself as a heroic/villainous WWF-type character. Of course he knows that Canadian isn't a language and that the overwhelming majority of Germans have a decent or better command of English. He's just acting like an ass for the fun of it. Personally, I find his whole shtick pretty entertaining.

As for Cuban "hating" Yao, he'd probably like nothing more than to have the big man on his own squad. Why else would he expend so much effort in the summer of 2002 trying to portray Yao as a potential bust while at the same time doing everything that he could to engineer a trade for a high lottery pick?

14. The Voice of Reason

Cuban is EXACTLY right. We all know Yao is not the 3rd most popular player in the league. He certainly is not the best in skill either. there were many threads on this board reveling in how the china vote will help the rockets.

since theer are many players from Europe in the league now, all of their native tongues should be available for voting. China with ist massive population is certainly still going to be a bonus for Yao, but certainly German, french, spanish(castilian), and some of those slavic languages should be i there. what about nigerian, or other African languages.

its not that is a a huge deal, but the NBA should represent the world if it knows whats good for it.

and dammit Canadian is a language if you are in the right town

15. coma

coma Contributing Member

Is there a grpahic that charts out the ASG votes by country?

If there's an overwhelming number of votes from China, then I agree with that Cuban.

16. Major

Major Member

You know, I bet if the ASB was available in German but not Chinese, Mark Cuban's comments would be nothing compared to the crap we'd hear on this BBS.

17. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Good Lord....talk about an "attention-w****".

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

True, but I'm guessing Les Alexander wouldn't have a hissy-fit over it either.

19. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, you know I hate Cuban as much as anyone, but the guy does have a point. And, particularly, isn't it "funny" that the year the all-star ballot is offered in Chinese is the year Yao Ming comes to the league? There were Chinese players here before Yao. It does appear that Chinese was offered as a way to potentially give Yao more votes. But if he's who the viewers wanna see, then it's good he got voted into the game.

20. Shrimpie

Shrimpie Member

Man, I just hope Rockets can make the playoff as the 8th seed and beat the sh*t out of Mav's ass in the first round match-up.

Shrimpie