1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Lin injured?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Oct 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

And Lin looks better now physically then Paul did at this point. Paul's ups and downs after his meniscus surgery looked way more pronounced and Paul was older.

2. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Lin needs to man up

3. King Boo

King Boo Member

You're right. Paul's meniscus tear actually ended up being a lot worse. He had surgery in February but was still wearing a knee brace at the start of the next season. That season he was bothered by injuries and ended up being his lowest scoring season ever.

What Lin has going for him is that the doctor was able to mend his meniscus completely whereas Paul's had to be partially removed.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2011/01/hornets_ailing_chris_paul_cont.html

4. King Boo

King Boo Member

Yeah, just like Yao "man[ed] up" and aggravated his foot injury. And that was for a contending team.

At this point in his career and with the Rockets team we have this year, there is absolutely no reason to push his knee beyond what Lin and his doctors are comfortable with.

5. pnr

pnr Member

I'm pretty sure Lin's was removed as well because meniscus removal requires 6 weeks of healing whereas mending requires a few months of healing at the very least.

6. King Boo

King Boo Member

Where did you hear that? Every source I've seen says it was repaired rather than removed. It doesn't make sense that the doctor would remove Lin's meniscus considering his age and profession. It makes even less sense since even the 6-week recovery period ends up going into the 2nd round of playoffs.

7. pnr

pnr Member

I just google searched and it says the average recovery time for a meniscus repair (as opposed to a removal) can take around half a year to a year. The person cannot perform any strenuous activity during that time. It's a way more complicated procedure. Seeing as Lin's recovery time was projected to be 6 weeks, I believe part of his meniscus was removed.

8. luden

luden Member

His knee's probably a little more effed up since clumsy a.s.s. Duncan fell on it, hard today.

9. pnr

pnr Member

Yeah and he was grimacing hard after it too.

10. King Boo

King Boo Member

http://www.londonkneeclinic.com/article.asp?article=20

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/16619/woodson-lin-got-stitches-out-doing-fine

I can't find a source that says exactly what surgery Lin underwent, but the consensus is that with a younger athlete, you want to try to preserve the meniscus as much as possible. Given that repair involves stitches in the meniscus tear, and that Woodson said Lin got his stitches out 2 weeks after the surgery, I think he definitely had it repaired rather than removed. This would correspond with his longer recovery time, as even after 6 weeks he still hadn't been cleared for 5on5 practice and couldn't touch the rim.

11. pnr

pnr Member

He was doing contact drills or at least running during the miami series though. After a meniscus repair, you cannot do any of that stuff for a few months at least. At that time, it was only 5-6 weeks after surgery for him. I think Woodson meant taking stitches out of the skin of the knee that was punctured by the surgical instruments, not the meniscus itself.

12. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

Grant Hill had his completely removed and was back in two weeks. :)

I doubt Lin had his completely removed. Makes no sense for such a young player. The Knicks never should have tangled the possibility of Lin playing in the playoffs. Not that the Knicks have trouble with ticket sales (despite crappy teams), but they keep jacking up prices to ridiculous amounts, so I do think ticket sales were a factor.

13. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

Yeah, but didn't Grant just play like 10 mins and then had to sit out the rest of the last season.

Blake Griffin also had knee surgery early summer and he looks to be back in shape. Obviously, everyone heals differently and the injury can have been different.

14. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

The team is slowly working him into game shape, don't want to rush/push. Targeting Oct 31.

The rest is in his head. He needs to find his identity/confidence.

15. trowa

trowa Member

2 more weeks. plenty of time to get back into shape and rhythm.

16. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

He definitely does not look like the LIN that played for the knicks last season.

17. King Boo

King Boo Member

18. 13th Man

13th Man Member

I don't think he's injured but he's not 100% either give it some time.

19. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Nice we have Budinger and Gogi back on the team Bye Bye Lin:rolleyes: