1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Hornets @ Rockets 10/12/2012 (PRESEASON)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

roxxy, good summary, but could you please use paragraph break next time? ;)

Now I can answer the question: Parsons or Fields. I'll take Parsons. :grin:

2. sidestep

sidestep Member

Parsons, any day of the week fer sure.

3. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

For you Geeks wondering how he derived the #.

TS% = Points / (2 * (FGA + 0.44 * FTA))

52% = 9/(2 * (6+0.44*6))

1 person likes this.
  4. mgpwr

mgpwr Member

Similar to what some have said, I do think that Lin is at his best when he attacks and finds people off of his drives. And from this is where I think he's able to get into his offensive rhythm and have an instinctive feel for the game, that is, having a knack for constantly getting into the lane, efficiently scoring/drawing fouls, and setting up other people. And as Spiegel said, by using this particular strength of his, everything else will come "naturally" or just take of itself.

Having said this, given that these are pre-season games and the fact that Lin is coming off from an injury and hasn't played a real NBA game for almost 7 months, we should moderate our expectations a bit. Especially after his surgery, he needs to ease back into it and learn the feel of the game again. In his Wed. post-game interview, even Lin notes, “I forgot how fun games are. It had been so long, since March. It’s a lot of fun to play. I just forgot the feeling. I got it back now.” Often players who return from an injury or have had personal issues (e.g., Melo, Stat, Lamar from last season, to name a few), don't come back and instantly play brilliant basketball. They usually need some time (even weeks or months) to gain their rhythm (and confidence).

Additionally, easing back into it, meaning limiting the number of aggressive drives, will reduce the chances of setbacks or risking a more serious injury for pre-season games that don't technically count. Like others have already mentioned, these games are mainly used for preparation and determining which players they want to keep and different line-ups that will used in the rotation. And a more minor point in all of this that others have mentioned is that Lin wants to get everyone involved as much as he can at this particular point in order to create chemistry and develop a team-first attitude (and thus, the focus on his assists). I'm sure his experience in NY has heightened his awareness of what jealously can do, especially off the court.

Lastly, I think it's good that Lin is learning to dish out assists through other means besides his preferred drive and dish strategies. I think this will limit the amount of wear and tear on his body and knees long-term. He may not look as effective as he usually does, but over time with practice and experience, he'll be able to master a variety of ways to set people up; thereby, making him a more versatile and lethal PG down the road. But let's just remember Lin's not a finished product; he's a young, developing PG who still makes mistakes but, luckily, has a strong work ethic and is eager to learn and grow from them.

1 person likes this.
  5. mirus

mirus Member

thank you.

the above questions,parsons of course.

6. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Thanks.
    And what is the average TS% of some of the PGs out there? What's considered good? Or bad? Thanks in advance.

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

8. PhiSlammaJamma

How funny would it be each year, for one pre-season game, if the fans and stadium played it as if were a game 7 of the nba finals, with chants of "Beat LA" or whatever, sold out at discounted tickets, signs, mind blowing introductions, player and coach interviews as if it were the finals, a ramped up scoreboard introduction, and total fan outrageouness. Think it would be funny just to see the reaction of the other team shocked at the energy level. ESPN worthy for sure. And think this could get the team some additional ticket sales during the season just on the experience alone. since we are not likely to be in the finals anytime, think it would be a just good fun tradition and experience for a team not likely to be in the finals for some time.

1 person likes this.
  9. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

10. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

And confetti falling from the ceiling!

11. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

roxxy beat me to it. :)

One thing I noticed is that there were a lot of empty seats at the Toyota Center tonight. Was this normal for the Rockets' pre-season games?

12. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

That is normal for every Rockets game not played against a popular team.

13. CL#17

CL#17 Member

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Jeremy Lin is now 2-0 as the leader of the Houston Rockets.

15. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

Helo DAY! Long time no see!:grin:

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

LP is already on in Vegas. You just have to call your cable subscriber and tell them to activate LP. It took less than 20 seconds for the game to come on CH. 652 for me.

17. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

Roxxy is Day? I'm stoked! Is 3rdrailz also
    here hiding on some id? Hmmmmm.....

18. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Preseason for starters = Warming up games. Test and trial. Getting use to your team mates. And last thing is not get hurt before regular season.

Preseason for rookies = Playing hard and looking impressive because they vying for a place in the regular season rotation.

19. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. sidestep

sidestep Member