1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which team will not make the playoffs ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by COMPAQ CENTER, Jan 23, 2003.

?

Which team will not make it to the playoffs

1. LA Lakers

26 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. Minnesota

99 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. Rockets

42 vote(s)
    20.1%
  4. Phoenix

15 vote(s)
    7.2%
  5. Utah

20 vote(s)
    9.6%
  6. Portland

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. San Antonio

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

We are half way through the season.

Which team you think will not make it the playoffs?

1. LA Lakers
    2. Minnesota
    3. Rockets
    4. Phoenix
    5. Utah
    6. Portland
    7. San Antonio

Dallas and Sacramento look like a lock to make it the post season. And if Seattle does not make a push only one team out of the above 7 teams will be eleminated. Who is that team?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

3. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

I think it is going to be the Phoenix Suns. They are a bad road team and a good home team.

They fair better agaist the east than the west.

They are young and have one outstanding rookie that eventually will hit the rookie wall.

They also have some injuries. They have not make the playoffs last year.

Wait a minute, this is the same description of our own Rockets.

Still I think it going to be phoenix that will not make it.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think its Utah I think there age will finally catch up with them

5. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

Wolves....just not enough firepower after KG

6. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

That's sux to see so far that we don't have too much confidence in our own team to make the play-offs. We're in 2nd so far!!!:mad:

7. corbe

corbe Contributing Member

Damn Trolls

8. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

I think the timing of the poll has an effect on the results.

After two tough losses, it is to be expected that some people might not be too confident in our team.

My surprise, is that alot of people are choosing Minnesota to miss the playoffs. I think they are a good team which made the playoffs for the last 5 or six years and are well coached.

Anyone who voted for Minnesota cares to make an explanation, other than they do not have anyone beside KG.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

CC, I think the thinking is simply that Minn is currently in 8th place and the Lakers in 9th. Since they (since I didn't vote Minn myself) can't imagine the Lakers not making the postseason, they bump the bottom team off.

It makes sense: they are a good team with a good coach and even so are only in 8th place. Why would you think they'd do appreciably better in the second half of the season?

But, I vote for the Lakers.

10. rowdy

rowdy Member

I think the reason many are picking Minnesota is because 1. they aren't playing well right now and are not the same team without Brandon, Billups, and Wally for half the season. 2. I think that in the west its getting harder and harder to crack the top eight and since they are sliding backwards they seem to be the odds on favorite to fall out.

11. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Well, Minnesota is virtually tied with the Rockets for the 7 & 8 spots.

They have a solid record 16-8 against the west vs 12-13 for the Rockets and 14-13 for Phoenix. They are also a slightly better road team than both. Also they been there before and know what it takes to make it the post season (same for the Lakers).

I think Phoenix well not sustain their pace and will not make the playoffs.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Actually the Wolves are playing better than the Suns right now. The Wolves will have their ups and downs, just like the Rockets. They both will get into the playoffs, IMO.

The Suns have surprised a lot of people, just like the Sonics were earlier on. I predicted the Sonics would sink. And I am predicting the Suns will sink lower than the Wolves and the Rockets.

I was debating myself between the Suns and the Lakers. And I finally realized that I wished the Lakers wouldn't make the playoffs, but I knew (kinda) the Suns wouldn't.

13. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

My first thought was to vote for Minn but things have been pretty solid for them and are only gonna get better:

1) Wally is back
    2) Hudson is underrated
    3) As CC has mentioned, very impressive first half record versus the West (3rd best in the West) and their losses are mostly to good teams.

I like Utah and Phoenix because of their blend of veterans and young players but Marbaby leads Phoenix and I'd like to see Marbaby continue to live in shadows until he grows up.

Phoenix Falls!

14. isusan

isusan Member

I vote for the lakers.
    BECAUSE if the lakers don't make the playoffs. the rox will make it for sure.:)

15. Franchise3384

Franchise3384 Member

Utah will not make the playoffs, have any of you seen their April schedule?!?!?!?! They Finish the season vs HOuston, Dallas, SAn Antonio, and then At Sacramento. If they are in a close race with any team for the 8th spot well we can stick a fork in it.

16. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

According to Jeff Sagarin:

San Anonio 80.02 (toughest remaining schedule)
    Utah 89.55
    Los Angeles 89.67
    Houston 89.80
    Minnesota 90.27
    Phoenix 90.56
    Portland90.66 (easiest remaining schedule)

San Antonio really have tough remaining games. They might slip.

17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree with all these posts, if I were handicapping Phx would be the one to miss. I'd say my odds for each one making the playoffs are something like this:

Phx 2-1
    Min 3-1
    Hou 4-1
    Utah 5-1
    Lakers 6-1
    Portland 25-1
    SA 10-1 (normally would be lower than Portland, but one Duncan injury and they are toast)

The concern with us is that we are young, missing some guys due to injury, and Yao's production is fading.

18. AT

AT Member

I hope those are the odds for not making the playoffs...

But, honestly, if we're even worried about an extremely old Utah team, a horrible Phoenix team, or a point-less T-Wolves team we've got serious problems.

That is a much better barometer of where we stand as opposed to the average Rudy apologist's quote of "2 games behind the Spurs blah blah blah pooop".

19. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Our record does not seem great, but we are going to make the playoffs.

And the Lakers' record does not look fabulous, but they are going to make the playoffs.

This leaves the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Utah Jazz. Hopefully one will start playing terrible. They have been winning lately.

The Pheonix Suns not in the playoffs? They have been great this year.

Too bad for the Seattle Supersonics. Who will want Gary Payton?

Minnesota will not make it because Utah, Los Angeles, and Houston will. Either them or the Jazz. NOT HOUSTON!

20. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

I admit that this poll is kind of early. But I just wanted to see what the sentiment is regarding the Rockets chances for the post season. I appreciate everyone who responded.

For the record. As of 1/22/03

W L PCT
    1 Dallas Mavericks 32 8
    2 Sacramento Kings 31 11
    3 San Antonio Spurs 26 15
    4 Portland Blazers 25 15
    5 Utah Jazz 25 16
    6 Phoenix Suns 25 18
    7 Houston Rockets 23 17
    8 Minnesota Timberwolves 24 18
    9 Los Angeles Lakers 19 22

Seattle and Goldent States are just a step behind the Lakers.