1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Cardinals for real???

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Matt_Maloney, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Major

Major Member

Kolb's history coming into this season was basically the same as Alex Smith's history going into last season. His mediocrity didn't stop them from being on the doorstep of the Superbowl.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Kolb also went to the University of Houston.

I see where the problem is.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I'm not hoping for any of those things.

This game really was not on Vick. Coaching was the problem.

Reid and Mornhinweg have to remember who they have in their backfield. The first series they went 3 passes and 3 and out. Not one run. In fact, does anybody know how many attempts McCoy was given in the first half? I do and it was 4. 4 damn rushes. I guarantee you Foster, Rice and any other top level running back does not have so few attempts in a first half. Ridiculous. Also, being so pass happy you put your quarterback at even greater risk for injury, something that everybody knows is crucial to the success of the team this year. Somehow Fitzgerald keeps destroying your team and you don't game plan for him...again. Terrible clock management (what else is new) in the first half which pretty much led to the sack, fumble scores for the Cardinals at the end. Just horrible, horrible coaching calls all around.

Vick did hold the ball too long at times leading to more hits, Maclin was out which hurts the passing offense and the shifting of the offense line was more than likely going to lead to protection issues. It did look like there was some miscommunication on defense at times.

I don't want to take anything away from the Cardinals, they won the game in dominating fashion and there is no guarantee the Eagles win by making the adjustments above but the coaching of the game on the Eagles side pretty much doomed them in the first half.

4. buffalobills!!!

I think you mean 2011...

5. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Yeah, because people won't watch the Super Bowl because of the teams, even if they're both 7-9 or something like that. Besides, the Titans-Rams Super Bowl where both teams came out of nowhere that year was a pretty memorable game no one should have seen according to that logic. Even when the Panthers (2003) and especially the 9-7 Cardinals (2008) made it, they played in some of the most classic Super Bowls ever played.

I get your point and you weren't being too serious but except three total Super Bowl duds (32, 35, 37) the SB has had some serious classics and otherwise good games in the last 15 years and people more than ever will tune in. It's been like the anti-90's to early 90's.

6. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Way too early to say so far, they've looked impressive so far and NO ONE beats Brady in Foxboro, especially in September yet they did.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Cardinals defense is every bit real.

Their offense may be a little more pretentious until Kolb proves he can do this consistently. I can see them really battle for a WC spot or even give the Niners their money for the div if their defense keeps playing like this. Their defense I'd say is up there with the Texans and Niners.

8. macho87

macho87 Member

Their DC has cornrows.

9. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Flawless.

10. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

As someone who had Ray Rice in FF last year and has a deep seeded hatred for the Ravens' OC I can attest that Rice has seen this kind of inexplicable OC amnesia.... alot

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I haven't had the chance to watch a Cardinals game. How are they doing it? I know who they're playmakers are, I can view the stats, but what is it? The strategy? They pass rush? Disrupt? Discipline? What is it?

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Their DC, Ray Horton, was an assistant coach for Pittsburgh's defense during the mid-2000s while Whisenhunt was their OC. I'm seeing shades of that 3-4 pass rush in his gameplan.

Their defense was underrated last year because of injuries and how absolutely terrible their offense was, but they were a top 5 unit in the last 8 games of the season.
    They have some SERIOUS talent on D.

Calais Campbell, Vonnie Holliday, Sam Acho, Darnell Dockett, Patrick Peterson, William Gay, Adrian Wilson.

Those dudes can bring it.

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Their Defense is excellent...but their offense is suspect...if Kolb doesnt try being a gun slinger...they have a chance to be a very special team...but its still very early in the season.

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

It's a little of everything you mentioned. Their secondary is pretty disciplined and also very quick when reacting to passes. Patrick Peterson has allowed something wild like 2 catches or something around those lines when thrown in his direction. Their pass rush is strong... and I would really give a lot of the credit of the defense to their DC Ray Horton. His schemes are pretty good too. They know how to disguise their schemes well and it fools the defense a lot. Here's an example..

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...30434/jaworski-cards-confused-brady-in-week-2

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Surprised to hear Petersen is doing so well. I only saw him play twice last year, early in the season, and he looked rough in coverage. I figured it would be at least 2 years before he got it together. I need league pass man.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Last year at a game I went to, Ravens @ Jaguars. I had Rice on my FF team. My whole team sucked ass that week. I don't think I had a single TD from anyone. Rice had 8 carries the entire game. Ravens lost 7-12. He had another game where he had 5 carries, shockingly they also lost that one to the Seahawks.

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess I need to start paying attention to the Cardinals. I couldn't name a single player on their defense outside of Patrick Peterson, but clearly they have some talent.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If they can get Ryan Williams going, they could be a legit contender.

19. TracyMcCrazyeye

KARL KOLD 4 MVP

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Kelvin Kolb sucks and I own Fitz.