1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIRE RUDY T!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocket113, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I beg to differ...u clean toilets?

2. verse

verse Contributing Member

ok, for those that continually defend rudy, can any of you honestly say that we play as a team and show any continuity on offense?

the majority of our victories come when steve or cat absolutely go off on offense. well, that's just not going to cut it. we're much better served working inside out. that's basic basketball knowledge. and when we show absolutely no attempt to do so, it MUST be placed on the coach.

3. montelwilliams

My point exactly.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Calling heypartner. . . calling heypartner. . .

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yes -- sometimes. And that's the mark of a young team.

I know you folks are anxious to get the trophy that's rightfully ours back from the Fakers, but this team needs seasoning before it'll accomplish anything other than sporadic brilliance.

Sure, it's a nice little dream to think that somewhere out there, there's a coach not currently signed to a contract who could come in here and make these kids play like veterans every game. Here in the real world, though, I'm content to watch them grow for another year or two before we throw in the towel and start making huge changes to either coaching staff or player personnel.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Nice, constructive post. Let me ask, do you also think this team could grow more quickly or effectively over the next couple seasons if the coaching staff added an assistant with longtime experience in building a motion-based offense?

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Hard to say. In theory, it makes sense. But like it or not, it's Rudy's team, and Rudy has assembled the staff he thinks can carry out his vision. Adding a veteran assitant who doesn't see eye-to-eye with Rudy might cause little tug-of-wars and in-fighting and force the players to take sides.

I still say give Rudy another year or two to season this team, and then judge him on their success at that point. What's clear to me is that with the talent we've got (and maybe a key addition or two), there's no reason ANY coach shouldn't be able to make a serious challenge to win it all year after next at the latest. In other words, give Rudy some time, but don't give him forever.

8. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been labeled a Rudy Hata, but I can point out worse coaches. Guy needs some help. He should have some experienced assistants, like the Mavs have. If he can't get benefit from that 'cause he doesn't want to listen to others, that's a problem. I don't know if Rudy's never asked for more assistants or if Les has never offered or both, but it clearly could help the team. We don't have to fire Rudy. If he'll improve himself with some quality help in his weakest areas, the total staff could be a good threat. If not, well, time to move on, just like anything else in life. It's not that big a deal - not worth shouting over. Just like any job, you've got to compete, and you've got to perform. Mistakes can't be repeated indefinately, new successes are required.

9. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

If a coach can't ask his players to fully commit to a certain play calls, then that's a not a good coach.

If a coach keep quiet and didn't even bother to point out what's wrong when players keep jacking up or taking bad shots, then he's not a good coach.

When a coach priority is to satisfy his players before winning, then that's not a good coach.

When a coach don't know how to utilize the size of a 7-6 guy such as making him standing around and watching people shoot, then that's not a good coach.

When a coach is too nice to the players, that can also be a problem as they won't take him seriously.

p.s Everyone who watch the Rockets' game know the offense is statics and too predictable. I am sure a lot of critics out there are questioning Rudy's offense but didn't say anything because he's a nice guy, they don't want to criticize him. How many times have you heard Walton said "that's a bad shot," during the Lakers Rockets game? Or how the Rockets is putting Ming in a uncomfortable position asking him to play O'neal's game. What i am saying is there has got to be more plays involving Ming where it doesn't have to be him always posting up. And Rudy needs to tell his players to be fully aware of Ming and pass him the ball when he's close to the basket instead of being ballhogs. Take advantage of his height.... draw up plays that have him closer to the basket, teach him to run across the paint like backing people down and have a Francis or someone throw him the ball at that moment when he's backing down...these are the plays that Rudy should teach them. Ask Yao to do the hook shots if the outside ain't falling or teach him to drive to the hoop and try to draw foul when his shots ain't falling, these are the things RUdy need to teach and preach and i don't see that happening.

10. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

he ran in the inside out when hakeem was done and now he running the ISO and we need the inside out back..

rudy plays morris and he should be our current 3rd option behind hawkis and nachbar...

his sub decisions are terrible...

so many assistants agree that rudy is not using ming to nearly half his potential..

maybe this is part of rudys scheme to bust out in the playoffs

i think you can t really make a determination until the end but his chances are running thin past this year and the results of this year

11. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

True that. While it is likely a longshot RT will be fired any time soon, keep in mind that Les was so excited about Yao earlier in the season and knows the type of potential he has RIGHT NOW. To see it not being utilized correctly must be as frustrating for him as it is for the fans. Sure, Yao may be a bit tired, but it is on the coach to put him in a better position to succeed. Giving him the ball with 2 secs left is not my idea of that.

12. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

This is one of the main reasons while this team doesn't improve. They played a horrible game and he comes back and say they played well. He definitely has to go. As of matter of fact I hope the Rockets don't make playoffs just to get rid of him. I am sick of this slop basketball.

13. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Whatever he is saying behind closed doors isn't producing it on the court.

14. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

...for the last 2 games or for the season?

15. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

It's always somebody out there that can do a better job.

16. pooh222

pooh222 Member

Amen. Yes the Rox have improved this year over last, but the inconsitent one on one ball is still persisting. Even the Rudy apologist/lovers have to admit this team is a headache at times to watch. Yes a lot of this responsibility falls on the players but I just believe Rudy's not getting through to them. And dumb comments like last night where he said the Rox played great after having all of those TOs just lowered Rudy's credibility even more. It's no secret anymore. More and more people around the game are starting to question Rudy and his coaching ability.

17. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

If Rudy was doing what you said he needs to do, we wouldn't have a lot of Fire Rudy threads on this board.

18. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

Yeah, Rudy runs the game with instincts and heart, but he just needs some better assistants for the little, but important things like that.

What the hell does it take for these threads to stop for a period of more than 3 days? Ten consecutive wins, all on the road against the Blazers, Spurs, Kings, Mavs, Lakers, Suns, Pistons, Nets, Pacers, and... Jazz? Would that do it?

Unfortunately, we don't have a stretch like that this season... :rolleyes:

19. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Producing what?

Did you expect the Rockets to be better than the Mavs? Spurs? Kings? Jazz?

At the beginning of the year, with Yao being unproven, where did you honestly think they would be? I felt they would and will make the playoffs.

And I'm right.

20. trebla

trebla Member