1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Rockets are expendable?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fredterp, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Fredterp

Fredterp Member

It is interesting to compare Rocket stats as compared to Rocket output/stats as compared to Rocket player salaries.

Looking at the below chart: Terence Morris is costing the Rocket .5M while MoT is costing the Rockets over 7M while shooting at a .378 clip as compared to TMo's .494%. Is MoT worth 6.5M+ more in salary? Will MoT become expendable at the end of the season when output is compaed to dollars for next season. Which Rockets will be on their way out to other teams?

Player 2002/03 2003/04
    Glen Rice $9,200,000 $9,600,000
    Maurice Taylor $7,150,000 $7,800,000
    Kelvin Cato $6,696,000 $7,344,000
    Cuttino Mobley $4,903,750 $5,394,125
    Steve Francis $4,383,582 $10,067,750
    Yao Ming $3,858,240 $4,147,560
    Moochie Norris $3,600,000 $3,600,000
    Eddie Griffin $2,161,920 $2,312,760
    James Posey $1,723,606 $2,445,797
    Jason Collier $1,369,440 $0
    Bostjan Nachbar $1,299,000 $1,396,440
    Terence Morris $512,435 $0
    Tito Maddox $349,458 $0
    Juaquin Hawkins $349,458 $0

2. carayip

carayip Member

Are we over the cap this season? Will we be over the cap next season and thus have to pay salary tax if we keep all our current players?

3. Sane

Sane Member

Rice will be traded. His contract is EXTREMELY appealing to teams hoping to improve their cap situation.

MoT, hopefully, will start showing some form and we'll be able to trade him too.

Same for Moochie.

In exchange, we need a VET PG (Avery Johnson style), and a VET PF (PJ Brown style).

If Boki doesn't prove to be a deadly shooter, we might even need a Walt WIlliams clone off the bench. 3-pt shooter.

I'd love to be able to sign PJ Brown and Travis Best (both FA's).

If Mo shows form and rejuvenation, would the Hornets be interested in a 100% Mo along with Mooch for a re-signed PJ Brown along with David Wesley? That would be silly for the though, unless they want to get a bit younger.

4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Expendable:- Francis as Point Guard, Mobley as the Black Hole, Rice no place for him, Mo T. just not good enought considering Brand is available, Moochie the leader of Dribble Mania,Collier could find a good back up position on another Team.

New Team:- PG Mr X
    SG Francis
    SF Odom
    PF Brand
    C Yao Ming

5. Matador

Matador Member

I'd be willing to trade anyone on the team except for Francis, Yao, Posey, and Nachbar. I wouldn't mind seeing anyone else moved if it helps the team.

6. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Yao certainly is untouchable. Steve is expendable but all those players who's better than the Franchise should be untouchable so I guess Steve is staying. everyone else on the team are tradable. this team is crowded and I think we should package some of our above-avarage players for one more elite player.

7. AT

AT Member

I'm going to continue saying it until it happens. We need to do whatever we have to to get Gary Payton.

If Rice and Cuttino would do it I'd be all over it.

Assuming we could re-sign GP for 4 years or so, I'd pretty much part with anyone except Yao and Steve.

Les/CD...make it so.

Please.

8. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

Everyone on the team except Yao, Steve and Eddie. We need to bring in players who have the pass first mentality and fundamentally skilled.

9. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

Move Francis to SG and trade Cat for a good PG like Hudson, Snow or Tony Delk..

10. Fredterp

Fredterp Member

Question, what is the NBA team salary cap for next season, or what is the cap this year. Anyone with details? It would be interesting to see how our players fit into the cap. FREDTERP

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Why do people think Rice's contract is so good for trades? I can see that being the case next year, but would a team actually take a salary dump contract for the next offseason.