1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

End of the year RB situation.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Real Shady, Sep 22, 2012.

?

What would you do?

1. Trade Tate

34 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. Trade Foster

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. Keep both for one more year

57 vote(s)
    61.3%
  1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Unfortunately due to free agency there will be no way for the Texans to keep both Tate and Foster on this roster in a few years. So how should the Texans handle this once this season is over and Tate has one more season left with the Texans?

If the Texans can get a 2nd round pick for Tate this offseason would you take it? I know we used a 2nd on Tate, but that was when we didn't know we already had a RB in Foster.

Would you trade Foster if you could get a equal pick or player in return?

Would you elect to keep both Tate and Foster for a dynamic duo for one more season?

My gut tells me if we can get a 2nd for Tate at the end of the season we would take it. That would lock in a rookie for at least 4 seasons compared to only getting one more season out of Tate. They then can use a 3rd or 4th round pick to bring in a backup RB.

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

IMO I think Forsett will be a decent replacement to Tate when/if hes gone

3. Classic

Classic Member

As a fan I hope we keep him but he is certainly setting himself up for a big pay day.

4. Grape_Swisha281

I think hes traded around draft time to accomidate whatever need/hole we have from not resigning our never ending list of expiring contracts. I do also think that Grimes was kept on this team (PS right?) to eventually replace Tate. Imo they look very alike on the field

5. conquistador#11

when they're that good, they always want to go and start somewhere. It's destiny..priest holmes...michael turner..etc. You can't blame them.

however, It's too early to even start thinking about that. At least let's wait until the bye week =)

6. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

I think that he will be dealt for a pick too. It just makes too much sense with the fact that he will get a pay day somewhere but that place will not be houston...sucks for us but he definitely deserves to be a starter in this league

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would rather just keep him for this and next season, then let him walk as a FA.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I know I am probably in the minority here, but I believe the offensive line is more important than the RB for the Texans (all teams, really). That said, the Texans have two great backs that fit their system. RBs do tend to make more than they are worth in their second contract. I see the Texans trying to trade Tate or extend him cheaply. Foster has too much guaranteed money to be traded as it would hit Texans cap at time of any trade.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Trade a second, third, and Tate for a pick around the 10 to 15 range. Take the best RT or interior d-lineman available. Depending on the Barwin/Quinn situation you draft safety or OLB with your other first rounder.

10. platypus

platypus Member

Tate is under contract for this and next season, why would you trade him now? That's just stupid. Having two good running backs is a good thing it allows us to keep foster fresh for the playoffs and also gives Tate his reps. I wouldn't be surprised if Rick found a way to keep both Foster and Tate, if not I imagine they explore other options this offseason.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I think Tate is probably a top 10 running back in the league. Should be able to get some nice pieces for him.

12. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I think the Texans should be open to trading him. However, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a high 3rd round pick for him. Forsett is a decent backup and Jonathan Grimes showed a lot of promise in the preseason. Texans know how to find good running backs that fit this system.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I could see this as well.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The OP is talking after this season.

15. MONON

MONON Member

They'll wait 1 more year to give Forsett time to develope.

16. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Develop? Forsett is 26 years old and been in the NFL for 4 years. Running backs usually go downhill quickly. Besides, Forsett will be a free agent at the end of this year as well.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Is it just me, or does it seem like they're reducing Tate's workload now that Foster got his money?

They normally run a 2:1 Foster:Tate ratio, but this year it has looked more like 3:1.

Makes sense, keep Tate's market value down, and run the crap out of the guy you have guaranteed money invested in.

18. Classic

Classic Member

Yeah, Foster has 54 rushing attempts vs 17 for Tate but both have 7 pass completions. I think the secret is out on Tate though. He's always produced when given the reps. He'll get paid on his next contract.

19. oelman44

oelman44 Member

This off-season, I think it was the Browns that offered a late 1st round pick for him. That's pretty tempting, especially sense I think Forsett could also be a stud.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Yeah I know, I'm just thinking about what might happen down the road. I'm excited about watching both those guys tear it up this year. :)