1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming may have already peaked

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by polypheus, Dec 12, 2002.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alaskansnowman

Yao Ming is in a slump...

this can be for a variety of reasons:

1.) he could just be TIRED... he hasnt had rest in forever

2.) teams are adjusting to him, and he needs to adjust back

This is all just part of being a rookie. When teams design their gameplan around stopping you, you are going to have a tougher time scoring.

Does this mean Yao has peaked in the true sense of the word? Of course not. It's ludicrous to say the least to think he will never get better from this point on.

2. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

Oh, I know, he was in the closet and crying.

3. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

I just have to wonder if polypheus actually Randy Brickley.:D

4. chingwen

chingwen Member

or Ben Collins?

5. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

You know who this polypheus remind me of??? Guess...

[​IMG]

6. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Silly boy...[​IMG]

7. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

People...

Yao has hit the rookie wall...

Big deal...it happens (to rooks).

Amare? It will take longer for him because
    he's so strong (mature strenght).

Jay Wil? He's next.

8. wiredog

wiredog Member

You know...that Ken Griffey Jr may have already peaked...He's not going to hit more than 20 hr's a season...Anyone actually believe that? And jr's been around 14 years. We're talking about a guy who has not even been in this country 6 months. I know that argument is getting old, but unless you've been a foreigner to a new country and lifestyle, you don't know what effects that could have on you. A lot of pressure. I think his weight training may be throwing his game off a bit. Let's not forget the atrocious coaching and the guards. Thing about Yao that impresses me more than his height and his talent is his ability to adjust and learn. He will get better, a lot better. i think Clutch should leave this thread up, so that next time Yao scores 25 with 15 rebs and 5 block, we can all tell Poly "We told you so!!"

P.S. Junior rookie card holders, he will eventually dominate the home run world again.

9. wiredog

wiredog Member

Oh another thing I just looked up. Guess what these numbers are:

Yao's points since 12/12, when poly the Nostradamus posted this thread. Yes, there were very few single digits, too, but come on. Not too shabby for a rookie center. I didn't even post the rebs and blocks. Someone mentioned that he waited until Yao had few strings of decent(not necessarily horrible..can't play when you're on the bench) games to revisit this thread. Let's give him at least until the all star break.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought he hit the wall right off the gate and never got off of it. :D

11. haven

haven Member

Yao will have trouble progressing much more until he's stronger. However, even if he doesn't improve technically, physically he has so much room to grow that it's ridiculous. Once he grows into that heighth (and he doesn't seem to have any problems with weight, like Bradley), he'll be the 2nd most powerful physical force in the NBA. He's heavy now, at 7'5...

12. Sane

Sane Member

Exactly. Yao Ming has so much physical improvement to do that it'sludicrous to assume he's peaked.

Once he gets his rest, and then starts worknig on his conditioning intensively (offseason) and comes back next year running faster, jumping higher, and reacting quicker, you'll wonder why you even said this.

Also, you know Yao Ming is always better the 2nd time around. Ask Duncan and Robinson. Next year, he won't be a rookie, and he'll know all the players on his team and other teams.

13. Carmine Capucci

How many bouble doubles does Yao have this year?

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I count 11 double-doubles so far...

out of 40 games....and if ya want to be nice about it....discount the first 5 games or so as his "training camp"...still not too bad for a rookie..

btw Carmine, got ta give ya props for not styarting a new thread for this question...
    You're learning...:)

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

damn no edit.....typo in the above post

it is actually 12 dub dubs

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

As Rockets2K said, he has 12 double doubles.

And countless bubble doubles. :D

17. wiredog

wiredog Member

18. cptcrunch

cptcrunch Member

Yao will improve, I am not sure but I think his rookie numbers so far are similar to Hakeem's and I believe he will become a player with the statute of the Dream. In 94 and 95 I feel Hakeem carried the Rockets and everyone else played their roles beautifully and fed off of him. Some day Yao will play that same roll and bring us some championships. Don't take it personal what others say. People can be cruel. I think you may have made a wrong judgement but you were just posting a thought and I appreciate that you are a fan.

Peace and Love
    Crunch

19. jyp

jyp Member

Polypuss, you're such a **** disturber. Don't you have anything better to do? I bet you actually get off saying this stuff, don't you?

Out of the wood work comes Poly! Go back to hole you came from!!!

:D

20. sun12

sun12 Member

I do not think YM is peaked, but to think YM will reach his full potential is a DREAM. There are a lot of obstacles, especially that he has to fulfill his national team duty during every summer. I do not think YM will have enough time to get his rest or work on his conditioning during the offseason. The Chinese national team will call him back immediately after his season is over.

I think YM will be a legitimate all-star or maybe super star if he can get his rest and conditioning during the summer from June to October for 5 month. Unfortunately, he will only have 2-3 month to rest every summer. he might end up like Ilgauskas with an injury problem due to that heavy load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.