1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley/Rice trade for Shareef would be just the cure

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocket113, Jan 22, 2003.

Tags:
  1. rocket113

rocket113 Member

I think Shareef Abdur Rahim would be an ideal guy to get for the rockets. They need an unselfish stud power forward to play in the post. Watching the rockets without Mobley(when he was injured) was more entertaining then watching them with him. Having two ball hogs will never work. Francis is too good to trade but loosing Mobley can only make things better. Due to cap reasons, I am sure the rockets would have to throw in another player. From my understanding, the Hawks want to redue expenses. Throwing Rice in(who has only one more year on his contract) with a good player like Mobley would be an attractive offer for the Hawks. Would you do this trade?

2. carayip

carayip Member

No, I won't break up this team after 40 odd games together.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think if you trade Mobley for someone you would have to get another SG. Who would take his place if we traded him??

I would think a great defending SG would be best. We have way too much invested in Griffin to give up on him now. He needs all the playing time he can get.

You cant have half of all your money under cap going to the PF position with Shareef and M Taylor and Griffin that would create a lot of problems.

4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

francis would throw temper-tantrum and and demand a trade to the grizzlies.

5. Sane

Sane Member

Reef is a SF, and Posey can play SG.

6. drapg

drapg Member

According to ESPN Insider, the Lakers and Hawks are mulling the following:

Hawks trade: Abdur Rahim, Mohammed

Lakers trade: Horry, Madsen, Murray, 1st round pick

Of course we all know that the "Insider" seems to be pulling things out of the air most of the time.

7. Carmine Capucci

I doubt the money matches on that trade proposal. Nazr makes too much and the Hawks would be incredibly reckless if they simply traded away Rahim for ending contracts when they can get at least SOME return from another team.

8. Sane

Sane Member

No way no way no way. I guarantee the Lakers won't add a major player to their roster, unless it's from the Bulls.

They're trying to get back into the playoff picture, and it takes LOTS of time to get into the triangle scheme of ming. Bulls run it, so maybe they'll deal with the Lakers, but the Lakers wouldn't do the other deal.

Besides, Lakers don't want to sign minimum players, what makes you think they'll take on a MAX contract and a long, 5M a year contract?

What they SHOULD do is go for Marcus Fizer or Jamal Crawford somehow. Fizer is playing TREMENDOUS basketball recently, and Crawford has shown he can play too. Derek Fisher and Robert Horry for Fizer and Crawford? Fisher can play the point when Jay just doesn't get it, and Horry is an ending contract and has tremendous experience. They'll lose Fizer and Crawford ANYWAY. Both teams improve.

BTW, Reef and Mohammed make a combined 17M or so. Horry makes around 6 and Murray makes slightly less, let's say 5.5M. Madsen makes nothing (1M MAYBE). So it doesn't work cap wise.

If the Lakers do panic, I'm sure they'd insist on a deal like Fisher, Kareem Rush, Devean George, and Robert Horry for Reef and Terry.

9. drapg

drapg Member

Don't shoot the damn messenger. I'm not the ESPN Insider.

10. Sane

Sane Member

LOL, didn't mean to. What I'm trying to say is, Hoopsworld and Insider talk a lot of ****.

11. Carmine Capucci

Never underestimate the lunacy of Jerry Krause!
    - Phil Jackson, 1998

Krause feels that Fizer = Bird and Crawford = Nique. He ridiculously overestimates the value of his own "head" (Bulls = head = head of cattle = Bulls...).

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yay or Nay?

--------------------------------------------------------

Atlanta trades:
    PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (19.9 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 2.9 apg in 38.0 minutes)

Atlanta receives:
    PF Eddie Griffin (8.5 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.8 minutes)
    SF Glen Rice (9.2 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 27.9 minutes)

Change in team outlook: -2.2 ppg, +1.6 rpg, and -0.5 apg.

--------------------------------------------------------

Houston trades:
    PF Eddie Griffin (8.5 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.8 minutes)
    SF Glen Rice (9.2 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 27.9 minutes)

Houston receives:
    PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (19.9 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 2.9 apg in 40 games)

Change in team outlook: +2.2 ppg, -1.6 rpg, and +0.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Ever notice how any team Shareef plays for gives up about 20 games into the season? I know he's been on some bad teams, but this year Atlanta's got talent, and they play with absolutely zero energy. I don't want the Rocks to go near that guy. No way.

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

True, but he's been pretty much the main go-to guy throughout most of his career, and I don't think he's that type of player. It would be interesting to see how he does when he doesn't have to carry the load. He'd be the 4th option on the Rockets, and would give us much more consistent play at the PF position, which is the Rockets weakest area in my opinion.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

B-bob, I don't think that fair to SAR. Atlanta wasn't a good team that was acquiring him. They were a bad team that acquired SAR and other talent and everyone thought they should be a good team. It is presumptuous to say the team isn't good because of SAR. Maybe it is ownership or the coach. If it was a team that was already decent and then started to suck after SAR's arrival, then I'd understand.

If I were going to trade for him and Atlanta was willing to listen (which I doubt), I'd sooner give up Griffin and Rice than Mobley and Rice. I love Griffin; I think he will ultimately be better than Mobley; but if you are acquiring Abdur-Rahim, there will only be 10 left over minutes at power forward. You don't need Mo Taylor and Griffin to share those 10 minutes. Meanwhile, Mobley is not readily replaceable at shooting guard. Why would you make a hole in one position to create a redundancy at another?

I think Atlanta would be crazy to settle for either Mobley or Griffin with Rice for Rahim though. The guy is a great player and their best player and asset. They should get better offers than that. At least someone can offer a contract that expires this offseason instead of next to go along with whatever young talent or picks they have to offer.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I would trade Rice and Griff for Rahim.

I love Eddie and I think he has a huge upside, but I dont see him ever being as good as Shareef.

Abdur-Rahim is only 26 years old too. Thats a year younger than Mobley and a year older than Francis. Perfect.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Rice and Griffin for SAR? That's some hell yes.

By the by, SAR is more of a 4 than a 3. Not great defense, true; but other than shot-blocking, what does Eddie give us?

And I can't believe that Atlanta would trade SAR for spare parts. They can do much better. I understand getting under the cap, but let's be real.

(Can you imagine getting SAR on the Rockets? We'd have the most expensive backups in the league: Cato, Mo, et al.)

I think the main deal now is to see if you can get a real point guard. The Steve-Cat show isn't going to take us anywhere.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I did not say that (or I didn't mean to). I just think good, energetic players make their teams better. And he has always put up good numbers on horrific teams. Always. It does not mean that he's the cause, but he sure doesn't seem to make people around him better, and he sure doesn't seem to lead teams to improvement.

I don't think the evidence is definitive, but I just think something's up. Okay, carry on with the fantasy.

19. New Jack

New Jack Member

Rahim, Francis, Mobley, and Ming are 4 guys who need the ball in their hands to be successful. I just don't see how that would work. I'd be willing to give up Cat for Rahim, but not Griffin. Griffin doesn't need the ball to be effective. He gets his points from open jumpers and put backs. I think his game would compliment Rahim's better than Mobley.

I'm just not very comfortable with Rahim at the 4. I prefer the big lineup of Ming/Griff/SAR/Posey/Francis rather than small lineup of Ming/SAR/Posey/Mobley/Francis.