1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you start following the Rockets? Earliest memories?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownbandit, Sep 9, 2012.

1. seopee

seopee New Member

I think anyone born in '83 remembers this one. My dad scolded me for crying over 'just a game' and I swore he didn't understand (Double Overtime against the team who always kept us from advancing in the play-offs >_< !). But then we won it all the next year.

Earliest memory was watching the Bulls vs. Rockets in 1990 or 91, Derrick Chievous at the free throw line, asking my brother and dad which red team was "our team" and then reading the sports section and memorizing every single stat of all of our players for the rest of my elementary school years. Olajuwon and MC Hammer were the two posters I had on my bedroom wall from 2nd grade on (and I'm an Asian girl).

1 person likes this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Three posts in 12 1/2 years, damn....

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

10 1/2 years*

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

10 years* mistook the Aug for Apr, gotta get some sleep. :(

5. dialtone888

dialtone888 Rookie

3 post in 10yrs, hmmm.
    1. She's a girl.
    2. She's a hot girl.
    3. She's a hot Asian girl.
    4. She's a hot Asian girl that doesn't care about reps.

6. dayanm

dayanm Member

Me 2, but no jk

7. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

since birth in 92. I could name all of the players when I was 4 or so but barely can recollect those memories. I have some awesome pics that I need to find an upload from that era

8. Rockets_4_life

I started following them when I was 12 yrs old, it was Yao's rookie year.

9. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

Since Sunday March 17, 1985. Age 4.

I remember it clearly. My father was watching the Rockets play the Boston Celtics during the day in Boston Garden (that's how I derived the date). Anyway I remember my father trying to tell who was on the teams. I clearly remember what he said about Larry Bird "He never misses" I took my father literally at his word and sure enough the first few shots he takes he doesn't miss. Than he misses one, "Daddy Daddy, he missed" I thought something amazing had happened, a guy had never missed a shot just misses one, it must be a miracle. "Okay he doesn't make every shot" Lesson learned "Don't take adult's words so literal"

1 person likes this.
  10. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I started following them more closely during the playoff series of 1981. I was doing yardwork for people on the block and they were watching game 3 (the deciding game) of the Rockets vs Lakers. I kept walking by their window to peek in at the game and they finally invited me in to watch. I followed them closely for the rest of the playoff season.
    At that time, following them closely meant watching score updates at the bottom of the screen, because not all of the games were on TV. I haven't lived in Houston in 20 years, but thanks to the internet I can see all of their games.

11. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I started following them around 1980 when they had Moses and Calvin. We had a great team. I was just a kid.

This next team should be fun to watch too. The season can't get here fast enough!

12. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

1992.....I remember sitting in front of the tv watching the playoffs in my grandmothers kitchen. I was only 14, but I recall with vivid memory my hatred for the Supersonics. I think that was the 93 playoffs.

13. damunkster

damunkster Member

when o.j. started killin people

14. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I was only watching because of Hannah Storm.

15. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

when i moved to College Station to have my graduate degree in 1993. I am getting old. it's time to have a few titles again:mad::mad::mad:

16. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Fellow 83'er but as I said earlier I didn't become a Rocket fan until Drexler came to Houston. Even though I missed the agony of the 93 series, the Sonics still got me in 96. It was the year after the 2nd championship and being 13 I thought there was no way the Rockets weren't going to get it again. After running through Magic and the Lakers in the 1st round the Sonics swept us and I remember being so angry that I took all my basketball cards of Sonics players and ripping them up.

While that was just anger with no tears, the following season would do the trick for me. Watching Stockton hit the series winning three (moving screen by Malone set it up and should have been called) sent me off to bed in tears. That was the last time I cried over the outcome of a sports game even though being a Bills fan I had good reason to just a few years later with the Music City Mistake (Just like the Malone pick, this was a forward lateral that should have been overturned). I was nearly 16 by then so I think I had grown up enough by that point.

I imagine the next time I cry over a sports game will be either the Rockets winning the Finals, Bills winning the Super Bowl or the Avs winning the Cup (there my NHL team).

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

When the San Diego Rockets drafted Elvin Hayes with the first pick in the draft. Haven't we done this more than a few times already? Seems like it wasn't all that long ago.

18. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

19. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

I don't know how to integrate videos onto the actual post but that's 3 bad calls from Game 7 against Seattle in 1993. If we won, we would have 3 straight titles because I almost guarantee we would have beaten Chicago that year.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sure sign of old age. ;)