1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any mechanics on here??? Car issues!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pharaoh King, Aug 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Ok, so my car actually seems to be running perfectly fine and the a/c works perfectly well, but I am concerned about this leak inside the cabin (driver's side) that seems to be either caused by the a/c drainage or something else (heater core???). I don't know much about cars, but from my little research I found these two links which seem to discuss a similar problem:

Has any one had this problem before?? It looks like the most common or likely cause is either a leak in one of the hoses inside the cabin or the heater core. Given the extensive disassembly of the interior cabin that is required to get to the concerned parts, I am seriously worried about taking the car to a mechanic that I know nothing about, fearing the car will never again be the same. So, I ask you nay implore you to recommend me a mechanic to take my car to so he can check it/recommend the proper course of repair.

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I believe if you turn on the heater and does not throw out hot air then it is the heater core. If is not the heater core it can also be a.lose hose that's dripping into your cabin. I believe they will have to take out the dash to fix your problem either way.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

what side of town are you in?

Have you checked what it's leaking? Your fluid levels? Where most of the leakage is? I remember when my heater core went out, but on a jeep, it was on the front pass side and that's where most of the liquid pooled up.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Until it gets fixed, beware of the water causing humidity in your car that can lead to the interior roof lining losing its adhesive strength and start rippling and drooping. If you live in Houston or anywhere really hot, keep your windows cracked open until you fix that leak.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

If it is the AC core and its accessed from behind the dash, it is an extensive and expensive repair... on our Expedition, its something like a 7-8 hour job to disassemble interior door, console, steering column and dash.

Our Expedition was quoted for two leaks (one in the core, the other a valve accessible under the hood) at $1700.

Can't afford the repair right now... :(

6. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

I should clarify that the leakage is barely noticeable until you leave the car overnight/for an extensive period of time to see anything on the floor, and it seems like just water and not a coolant or anything with color/smell that is leaking, which could mean it's just a hose that needs extending/replacing.

Oh and I live by the Galleria area RV6, all the fluid levels look perfectly normal and there is absolutely no leakage from the car on the floor where it parks, etc. The car never overheats or anything, it operates perfectly normal.

7. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

And by barely noticeable I meant that while actually driving, there is zero leakage inside the cabin or anywhere else. It seems like the leakage builds up only when the car is parked/turned off (even when I am parked but have the car running, there is no leakage on the interior).

8. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Damn dude! I feel your pain, but a co-worker of mine called her mechanic guy and he said if it's the heater core then the cost is $280 for parts/labor and the rest.

9. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

I am suspecting that it's a loose hose that needs to be put back. The leakage inside the cabin started happening after the last time I had an oil change, but I tried my best to locate a leaking hose under the hood and nada...I think it's those bastards from Goodyear who did something the last time around :(

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Check your coolant and see if it actually has antifreeze in it. You should be able to smell engine coolant, but who knows WTF your car smells like.

Sounds like an AC drainage leak from the condenser. This could just be water not traveling the path it is supposed to, OR it could be AC coolant leaking and causing condensation in places that isn't setup to handle it. I would take it to have the AC checked and vacuum tested if I were you. If I were me, I would put gauges on it to make sure my coolant levels were OK.

11. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I think the simplest thing you can do yourself is check for clogged drain lines as mentioned in the first link.

12. Rookie

Rookie Contributing Member

Park on some dry pavement. Run engine with ac on max for 15 or 20 minutes. You should see a puddle of water on the pavement. If not your condenser drain is plugged. If you can find it under your car you MIGHT be able to clear it by blowing air up the drain hose.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I know this dog... :cool:

[​IMG]

14. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Heater core in my f150 was leaking.I have it bypassed until I have time to fix it.No problems,just don't have a heater but it's not a huge deal in Tx.

Ten dollar fix vs. $1000+

[​IMG]

15. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Will do this, thanks. So, if there isn't a puddle of water after 10-15 minutes then it's definitely a clogged drain hose? Still doesn't explain the water leaking INSIDE the cabin IMO (as opposed to outside of the cabin and on the pavement).

Just tried something earlier today: the heater works perfectly well and the coolant level is at exactly what it was a month ago, after some 1500 miles (still at full). So, does anyone know if this rules out the heater core being the problem?? There is no coolant leak, and the heater is blowing strong in the car.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think so. When mine went out the coolant kept leaking into the cabin. IIRC, it would start to leak inside after about 15-20 minutes.