1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets could be involved in three team trade w/ Spurs and Raptors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedrockets, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

they also had some inside pressure from Manu, who was strongly advocating that they give Scola a chance to realize his dream of playing in the NBA; and the only way that was going to happen was if they traded him considering their then glut of PFs on the roster.

2. psingh34

psingh34 Member

I was things the same thing

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

NBA writers, FO personnel largely on vacation and there's talk of a 3-way with possibly 5 teams talking? And THIS is the report?

Count me more skeptical than Bynum's knees allowing him to play out his extension.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yes...but, if Raps get better and Blair is the type they need then pick becomes worse. So :rolleyes:

This ain't real. Really.

5. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

You never know? Ross could be raw and Jonas seems to have taken some big steps backwards recently.

And yes, i doubt it's real. I have nothing better to do than speculate until Nov.

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Jonas hasn't taken steps back, i think some fans just overrated him. he's still the same high energy, very long 7 footer with no offensive go-to skills other than pick and roll.

Ross looked like a pretty solid defender and a shooter in camps. That would be a nice fit for their system.
    His shot creation / handling seemed overrated though (compared to pre-draft buzz).
    But who knows.

7. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for input. I follow NBA like you guys, but I don't watch any college. I really only their games from scouting videos, highlights, etc..

8. Ditty

Ditty Member

I would love this trade for my Spurs. More because we have more of a need for a power forward then another shooting guard. I thought very highly of Patterson as he would fit perfect in the spurs system right now with Duncan, as he seems to have a nice outside shot, and has a knack of blocking shots, even if most of them are goaltends...from the games I've seen him play when they play the Spurs. I really like Gary Neal and would hate to lose him, as he is cold blooded, lights out clutch shooter. If the Spurs ever need anyone to score he is probably one of the first I would call on, he can create his shot very well for not being athletic at all. His shot selection can sometimes be Westbrook-esque though, and isn't a very good defender especially against the faster athletic guards of the league but he tries. I wasn't a fan of him being a back up point guard in the Spurs system as he turned over the ball too much, or didn't execute the play, in which Pop pulled him quite a few times in the playoffs because of that. Maybe the Rockets system will be different who knows, but I hope this is accurate and happens, and the Bonner era will be over in SA finally.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i don't watch college either. just Euro games (since i'm from Europe) and summer league games.

in the summer league, Ross didn't look like like in the predraft reports. He was supposed to be a creator. But his handle / shot creation didn't seem solid at all for this level. But defense looked very good, and his shot looked fine too. Kind of a smaller version of Paul George. Which is what the Raptors need, tbh.

10. AXG

AXG Member

11. teebone21

teebone21 Member

you on the wrong forum buddy, :mad:

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL you guys are sleeping way too much on Patterson. I guess you forgot he was a double-double machine machine with solid D on his rookie year.

I'd be ok with this trade since we need more picks and we have like 10000 other PFs on the roster, but if Patterson lands on the Spurs team watch him blow up under Pop's tutelage and you'll have the Morey haters crawling out of the woodwork again saying how could DM let this stud go?!?!

13. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

No, no that will not happen. Tiago Splitter means a lot more to the Spurs than you realise. Look at their roster.

14. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.

15. Rockets_4_life

If Morey and the rest of his staff believes that Motiejunas and Jones are the better talents, then I say pull the trigger on the deal.

Personally I was never really high on PPatt. Everything about him screams out average, even though he did have a nice rookie year. I always felt his ceiling was a solid starter at best.

16. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I actually liked Patterson, but I understand. At least he'd be thrust into a winning environment with the Spurs; he'd be happy for sure.

Leaves more room for Motiejunas, Jones, and White to show their stuff. Going to be a hell of a competition for that starting spot.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You could fault them for committing guaranteed money to Jackie Butler just a year before in the first place (or oberto or whatever mediocre backups they committed too rather than saving room for Scola). Its ironic insofar as a lot of mythos about the great RC Buford is based on a first mover advantage re: overseas players (manu + parker). This time he passef and the result was an epic fail.

18. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I really think it's going to Jones. He's a stud in the post - both defense and offense. Plus, he's 250. He's not going to be pushed around easily. I'm excited about the potential post defense of Asik and Jones. These guys are both good defenders and shot-blockers. I think we're going to be better than people realize. Jones is a blue chip player. I think his floor starting out is Ppat's rookie season, but his ceiling is quite a bit better imho. People shouldn't underestimate these Rockets.

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

The NBA isn't kind to Rookies. Whenever a rookie comes on the court against the celtics KG always tries to make life miserable for them. He says things like "I feel like a shark today I smell blood" and Pierce, Kobe and Dirk make sure they light them up. I like Jones and I think he is the kind of player who will quietly have solid games. But there is a reason why the team is estimated so low because they are so young and the league isn't nice to young guys.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Who cares? Neither the Rockets or Spurs are going anywhere with the Lakers, Heat, and OKC in play for the championship.