1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros "You Make the Call Contest" HELP me join Astros broadcast team

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Al22ex, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Al22ex

Al22ex Member

Hello fellow clutchfans posters.

For those who don't know me my name is Alex Del Barrio and I have been a frequent visitor and occasional poster on this site since the mid 90's. I am now 29 years old and have been in the sports broadcasting business for the past 10 years. My two most recent stints have been with the Rockets' D-League team the Rio Grande Valley Vipers as their broadcaster (4 1/2 seasons) and I have spent the last year as the PA announcer for the world famous Harlem Globetrotters.

Some of you may not know but the Astros are in the middle of a contest where the winner will receive a position on the Astros broadcast team next season. I am not asking you to support me right off the bat just because I was involved with the Rockets franchise or because I am a member of this board. I ask you all to listen to the contestants and see who you think should move on. I am confident enough that you will find that I have the talent and ability to move on to round two.

Astros contest details
    "You Make The Call" is a contest the Astros are hosting to find a Radio Apprentice for the 2013 season! The Astros are providing fans [must be 18 years or older] who may be aspiring broadcasters the unique opportunity to serve in a newly-created role for next season to conduct pre- and post-game interviews, attend press conferences and serve as a 'roving reporter' during games.

Here is the link to the voting page
    http://mlb.mlb.com/hou/fan_forum/apprentice_vote.jsp

Here is a story Astros beat writer Brian McTaggert wrote about the contest

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...17&content_id=36868586&vkey=news_hou&c_id=hou

Here is my play-by-play reel. Yes it is mostly basketball but I think you will get the idea.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hPIx4yn11fY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you have any questions let me know!

Thanks in advance for the support!

Alex Del Barrio

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Nice pbp reel. Yes, I think you can win this, unless they deem you overqualified :)

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Sorry bro, didn't want to put all my personal info in that form.

Good luck though.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You sound like the Brooklyn Nets broadcaster:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yu206ZrVcSs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyways, good luck man. I'd say your only competition would be that Nate Kurant guy.

5. Al22ex

Al22ex Member

Ian Eagle is the Nets guy in that clip... Not the first time I have heard that comparison believe it or not.

Thanks for the reply!

6. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

I will help you Alex, I am also from the hood. Dat feel....

7. David Stern

David Stern Member

Why are there no videos of Tmac passing?
    :p

You're good.

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I voted. Do you speak like that in real life? Would be trill.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Been wondering why somebody hadn't asked. Figured someone here had to be in the contest.

Vote submitted.

10. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Voted for you . Good Luck

11. Al22ex

Al22ex Member

Awesome!! Thanks guys!! I knew I could count on some support from Clutch Fans Crew!

12. David Stern

David Stern Member

Gaaaaaaaaaay!

13. Al22ex

Al22ex Member

It's ok... I know some people don't like to put their personal info...Thanks for the luck... It is a long road until the end of the contest. Next round it goes down to 4. Then two before we get to the winner!

Thanks for the support Clutchfans!

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Joined in 2003, lurked for 100+ posts... asks for my help? :eek:

OF COURSE, I'LL VOTE, SIR! Good job. :cool:

VOTED. I liked the lady's voice. She was a'ite.

15. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

16. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Just voted for you bro.

1 Because you're good.

2 Because you're Latino! Viva la Raza! lol

Good luck man.

BTW if you win...Hook up some tickets and a tour of the media booth :) lol/jk

17. Al22ex

Al22ex Member

Haha... I actually sign in every day..I just don't feel like I have to post everyday to enjoy the magic of Clutchfans!

I appreciate the support.. Thanks!

18. Al22ex

Al22ex Member

Viva La Raza!!! :)

19. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Voted. Tell the truth. How much do you attribute clutchfans for some good sports knowledge to say on the air? A lot of knowledgeable sports fans here that are better than some pros on major networks. Not saying you're one. You have the best of both worlds

20. Al22ex

Al22ex Member

I can't speak for other people in the business but I will tell you that there are those that prepare a lot and those that don't and you can usually tell. However, there are a lot of announcers that don't get enough credit for the amount of time they take to prepare. Especially the national announcers who get ripped for not knowing the teams. Well trust me it is hard to know all the nuances of a player and team when sometimes you only have a few hours to read up and prepare. I think broadcasters get a bad rap sometimes...

As far as ClutchFans being knowledgeable... Well that goes without saying! Clutchfans are very knowledgeable about their teams like good fans should be. I don't know if the board has helped me become more knowledgeable, nor have I used this board to prepare. However, I love coming here around draft time especially to gauge how the fans are feeling about the team, the transactions, and the picks. A lot of people on here have great knowledge or are very connected to basketball especially.

I don't know if that answers your question...